PDA

View Full Version : WGFE: Pfalz Aircraft of World War I (FMP - 1st Edn) (Aeronaut - 2nd Edn)

Ravenlord
03-21-2011, 22:32
Book Title:

Pfalz Aircraft of World War I
Author:

Jack Herris

ISBN:

ISBN 978-1-891268-15-1

Category:

aircraft history of technic and assignment

Format:

paperback

Summary:

Flying Machine Press - Great War Aircraft in Profile No. 4

The book tells the hole story of the Pfalz Flugzeugwerke in Speyer.
The informations in the book are mostly the same as in the Windsock Datafiles about the Pfalz planes but it includes the Frontbestand-tables of all german fighters, three-view drawings of all own designed Pfalz fighters and 62 profiles from Bob Pearson and Alan Durkota.

It includes 180 pages, about 300 photographs, and 15 three-view-drawings each in 1/72 and 1/48.

A great book with great works from Bob Pearson, the price is ok - about 60 $ or 50 €.
I would rate it with 4 stars but the profiles are so excelent that I have to give 5.

Matthias

Guntruck
03-22-2011, 08:30
Apropos to nothing, Speyer is still an active airfield and home of the Technical Museum Speyer, well worth a visit if you are in the area.

www.speyer.technik-museum.de/en

My visit a few years ago co-incided with a small music festival one Friday night on the airfield. Overdosed on German beer and wurst and good music, I'm afraid.

Ravenlord
03-22-2011, 12:20
The Pfalz-Werke at Speyer are still in business too.
They donīt build any aircraft after WWI (except a Pfalz D.III build by the trainees of the Pfalz-Werke a few years ago)
Since the end of the great war theyīre producing aircraft parts and spareparts.

Guntruck
03-22-2011, 13:43
Interesting - didn't know that. Thanks Matthias.

I'll also be looking to get this book in the near future.

Ravenlord
03-22-2011, 14:08
Be careful, perhaps I have overvoted the book, because I love The Pfalz-planes.

But itīs realy good for the price, the planes in the book are: Otto Pusher, E.I, E.II, E.III, E.IV, E.V, Roland D.I(Pfal), Roland D.II(Pfal), D.III/IIIa, D.IV, D.VII, D.VIII, D.XII, D.XIV and D.XV.

Matthias

batesyboy
04-09-2011, 15:55
I`ve had this particular book for at least five years, It`s one of my favorites !
It shows Max Holtzems aircraft as all over `sibergrau` (No Lozenge)
awesome !

Baldrick62
04-09-2011, 16:40
It gets my vote, as do all the FMP books. In a similar format to the Pfalz book, their De Havilland two-parter is well worth tracking down.

Hunter
05-13-2011, 23:55
I'm gonna have to get this book as I, also, like the Pfalz family of aircraft.

batesyboy
05-14-2011, 01:40
With regards to the `two-part` dehavilland book in this series....
I had one glance at the first edition...and all copies sold-out...i certainly missed the boat on this !
The second part was massively overpriced...i did thumb through it a few times, but never bought it...
However, The Pfalz book was and is still essential

Ravenlord
05-17-2011, 12:20
Hi Hunter,
if you like the Pfalz machines like I do, then this book is a must have for you.

There is only one Pfalz-plane missing:

The Pfalz parasol-fighter.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3qE2aCjW6kBVFYBZKGiJkXDZv5w5Wa8sYQQyBjpwf3hLYxZM5

Found in an article of the "Propellerblatt No. 12"

The plane was identified as the Pfalz D.X-prototype by Peter M. Groz.

best regards

Matthias

Hunter
05-17-2011, 18:54
Hi Hunter,
if you like the Pfalz machines like I do, then this book is a must have for you.

There is only one Pfalz-plane missing:

The Pfalz parasol-fighter.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3qE2aCjW6kBVFYBZKGiJkXDZv5w5Wa8sYQQyBjpwf3hLYxZM5

Found in an article of the "Propellerblatt No. 12"

The plane was identified as the Pfalz D.X-prototype by Peter M. Groz.

best regards

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I do, very much, like the Pfalz aircraft. I just ordered the Osprey book Pfalz Scout Aces of WWI! I'll be anxious to read it and then get Pfalz Aircraft of WWI.

I have heard of the Pfalz-parasol fighter, but have never seen a picture or found much written on it. I thought it was a myth or legend. In my mind, I visualize a fighter that looks like the sesquiplane Nieuports.

The plane I hope comes out as a mini for the Central Powers would be the Pfalz DXII, a really good and cool plane! Also, I like playing the DIII in WoW.

Thank you for the review and the pic of the Pfalz D.-prototype.

Respectfully,

Terry

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2011, 23:43
If you dont want Pfalz economy in your spending, The Book Depository has it in stock for just over Ģ21.
Rob.

Hunter
05-19-2011, 03:36
Thanks Rob, I'll check it out also.

Baldrick62
09-02-2012, 07:58
Posted on 1 & 2 Sep 12 on The Aerodrome website by Jack Herris of Aeronaut:

'The next 'new' book on our schedule is a revised, much enlarged edition of the Pfalz aircraft book first published in 2001. Look for some new color profiles and many more photos than the original edition.'

'The new edition will have at least 140 new photos that were not in the first edition, plus essentially all the photos from the first edition.'

'Pfalz is closer, hopefully no more than a month away.'

Can't wait!

Guntruck
09-04-2012, 01:41
Posted on 1 & 2 Sep 12 on The Aerodrome website by Jack Herris of Aeronaut:

'The next 'new' book on our schedule is a revised, much enlarged edition of the Pfalz aircraft book first published in 2001. Look for some new color profiles and many more photos than the original edition.'

'The new edition will have at least 140 new photos that were not in the first edition, plus essentially all the photos from the first edition.'

'Pfalz is closer, hopefully no more than a month away.'

Can't wait!

:brickwal::brickwal::brickwal::brickwal::brickwal::brickwal:

I only bought my copy a couple of months ago!

Baldrick62
11-17-2012, 08:58
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Pfalz Aircraft of WWI Author:
Jack Herris ISBN:
978-1-935881-12-4 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
Eleven years on from his offering via FMP, Jack Herris has released an updated version of his book covering the Pfalz Flugzeugwerke's output during WWI. Though the page size is slightly smaller, the new book has 264pp vice the original's 180 and apart from the loss of Michael O'Neal's cover art depicting Jasta 30 in flight, all the original content appears to be there (and a whole lot more besides).

Colour profiles have been increased from 62 to 81, and there are colour photographs of the various restored and replica Pfalz D.XIIs from around the world. There are lots of additional photographs of the various Pfalz types over what was in the original, and in terms of overall content the early sections have been significantly expanded. As an example in the FMP edition, the Otto pushers had 5 half-column lines of text and 3 photos, while in the Aeronaut edition this has expanded to over a half page of text and 10 photos. Additionally, there have been revisions and additions to some of the colour profiles; for example Pfalz D.IIIa 5947/17 of Jasta 30 is now identified as belonging to Lt Freiherr von der Horst, and there's a whole new bunch of Pfalz D.VIIIs in Jasta 14 livery, complete with photographic evidence.

This in now the definitive work on the subject.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-17-2012, 13:00
Once again you have achieved the oracle with this book Balders.
A friend of mine took me to a little games shop in Bristol today, and on a shelf was a lone Pfalz. I am now suddenly very interested in this book. I thought that Pfalz repaints were a thing of the past.
Rob.

Jager
11-17-2012, 15:35
Of course this comes out just after I saved up and bought the original edition :(
Karl

Guntruck
11-20-2012, 05:06
Of course this comes out just after I saved up and bought the original edition :(
Karl

Moi aussi

Baldrick62
11-20-2012, 12:22
Karl

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4166-WGF-Pfalz-Aircraft-of-World-War-I-(FMP)&highlight=aeronaut

See post #14 - there was a warning there.

Boney10
11-20-2012, 12:41
Ta ordered :)

predhead
07-17-2013, 05:30
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Pfalz Aircraft of WWI Author:
Jack Herris ISBN:
1935881124 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
(The original book has been reviewed before, but this new version has been greatly added to). Original review HERE (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?4166-WGF-Pfalz-Aircraft-of-World-War-I-(FMP)).

The Centennial version of this all-inclusive look at Pfalz aircraft of Great War has been greatly expanded from the original 2001 effort. Consisting of hundreds of black and white photographs as well as over eighty color illustrations, this 264 page book examines with great detail all the airframes that Pfalz was manufacturing during the war, not just their own designs. Details abound, including numbers and dates of aircraft ordered, when various models were in service, technical aspects of every model, along with photos and color plates of all models. There are 1/72 and 1/48 scale three view drawings as well making this book a gamer and modeler friendly reference.

Each color plate has a description which gives further details to the painting scheme of the plane, its pilot (if known), and which unit the plane was with at the time. Most of the plate descriptions were written by Greg VanWyngarden.

Going from 184 pages to 264 pages makes this version seem like a completely new book with its addition of the numerous new photographs and greatly expanded color plates.

Retailing for $59.99 USD, I was able to purchase a new copy for only $31.17 from Amazon.

As Pfalz was the third largest German manufacturer during the war, this book should be an essential title for anyone interested in German aircraft in general, and is a must book for any Pfalz fan.

I give it full marks (would that be five stars?)