03-19-2011, 09:28
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Rise of the Fighter Aircraft 1914-1918 Author:
Richard P. Hallion ISBN:
0-933852-42-8 Category:
History Format:
Hardback Summary:
200 Pages.

Well recommended to me and in turn I recommend this to you.

This book gives a solid and clear account of the fighter aircraft 1914-18, its development and the development of tactics.

It's simply a brilliant place to start learning about the war, if you're new to the topic start here.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-06-2011, 08:32
Thanks to Dave lending me this book to read, I can now say that it is added to my wants list.
I assumed that it was a good starter book for new pilots. It is this and more. There are some very good photographs of aircraft, but the best part is the way that the author unravels the development of aircraft into logical progressions. He then justifies why the ebb and flow of control of the skys took place in a very clear and simplistic way, and why the Allies managed to wrest the initiative from Germany after Bloody April.
All in all a jolly good read for both the new reader and jaded old buffers like me, who are looking for more than just he shot him down, and for his next victim he shot him down type books.
Rob.

Stormkahn
05-06-2011, 09:47
Rob take it off your wants list and enjoy it mate, it'll only gather dust on my shelf :)

Cheers,
Dave.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-08-2011, 11:39
Just got in from a Lace Wars weekend with Christophe Dave. that is a very handsome gesture of yours. I'm sure I can make it up to you in Kind before too long.
Thanks again.
Rob.

tuladin
05-12-2011, 10:49
I picked this one up on Dave's and Rob's recommendations. I've been looking for a good concise narrative history of the air war, and this fit the bill. Its a bit short - barely 130 pages if you don't count the photos and maps - but it doesn't seem to leave anything out.

The prices on Amazon.com make it an attractive buy. I got a new copy for $5.00, but they advertise used copies for as little as $1.97 (in either case the shipping will probably be more than the cost of the book.)

Thanks again, gentlemen, for the reviews, and to the Colonel for setting up this forum.

Hunter
05-13-2011, 23:40
Thank you for the reviews. It does sound as it would be a good starter book.