PDA

View Full Version : CURSES!

Charlie3
10-21-2009, 17:46
Not that I believe in bad luck or curses (he says as he rings a bell 3 times, throws salt over his shoulder, and rubs his lucky rabbits foot) But there are some strange things that seem to go on at our game nights. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiances.

First does this happen to anyone else? Every time someone flys the little red tri-plane (Red Baron) it catches on fire. Every Game! Is it just a coinsidence or is it because it is red?

Next we have one player who almost always has a gun jam when he lined up for a perfect series of shots. He does jam at least twice every game!

Is it just me or are you more likely to draw the explosion card when you have little or no damage on your plane? Can someone do the math on that? I think it happens to me WAY TO OFTEN!

LGKR
10-21-2009, 18:48
Charlie it just you, you're the curse.:D

I think Abelmman's issue with gun jams is a mathematical thing. He is a really good player who plays aggressively and has many more target opportunities than our timid players, thus more jam opportunities.

Belis4rius
10-22-2009, 02:40
It's wargamers luck. I have units who run at the slightest sight of the enemy, others who have never won a melee, and elite units or fancy units which should be relegated to the rear areas and library duties. On the other hand I have some who will simply die in neat lines where they stand rather than run, and others who I deliberately put to the fore of an attack. I had one unit many moons ago who never ceased to break at least one enemy unit during a battle and even my opponents were wary of where I placed them.

I haven't been playing WoW long enough to get to grips with the foibles of my pilots, although I have a creeping suspicion my Snipes don't try very hard.

Charlie3
10-22-2009, 12:04
Charlie it just you, you're the curse.:D

I think Abelmman's issue with gun jams is a mathematical thing. He is a really good player who plays aggressively and has many more target opportunities than our timid players, thus more jam opportunities.

On point number one you are likely right!:D:D

As far as Abelmman's aggessive flying I would agree except he regularly jams on his very first firing pass!!...I think that qualifies as a strange coincadence, or is it fate? or is it karma? or is it the damage card gremlins? OR! is it just funny (ha ha type and strange type):rolleyes:

Charlie3
10-22-2009, 12:09
It's wargamers luck. I have units who run at the slightest sight of the enemy, others who have never won a melee, and elite units or fancy units which should be relegated to the rear areas and library duties.
Oh you mean like the single barbarian with no armor and two axes that holds off a 20 man veteran unit with full armor plate for 5 turns because he keeps rolling natural maximum and the vets keep rolling natural 1's?

I have a creeping suspicion my Snipes don't try very hard.Snipes and D VII's are explosion card magnets during every full moon!

LGKR
10-22-2009, 12:54
I think Snipes and D VIIs are just like aces on the board. Might as well just paint a day-glo target on them. The good players will normally target the biggest threat on the table or the the one with the biggest historical reputation, e.g. The Red Barons Triplane.

Pooh
10-22-2009, 16:36
We have a girl that plays in our games who always plays Snoopy and flies a Sopwith Camel. Its the only plane she has. She admits that she has very little grasp of tactics yet she consistantly shoots down more enemy planes than anyone else. She has the only confirmed ace in the group. Once, when we played a bombing mission, I as the German player was escaping with my 3 Rolands (admittedly pretty shot up) after a successfull bombing mission. Snoopy swooped in and downed 2 of my planes in a single pass (2 successive rounds).

Another player who always wants to fly the red triplane almost never gets a kill. As soon as he shoots an enemy up, someone sneaks in and gets his kill or he hits them time and time again and they don't go down at all. Of course if Snoopy in her Camel gets anywhere near him; bye bye triplane.

Pooh

Charlie3
10-22-2009, 17:29
We have a girl that plays in our games... She admits that she has very little grasp of tactics yet she consistantly shoots down more enemy planes than anyone else.
SEE! SEE! This is what I mean! I think this is bad JU JU at work!! If you go back and look at some of the other threads on this site you will find more WEIRD stuff like wives and girlfriends shooting down us seasoned gamers at an unearthly rate!

I know I have felt uneasy cause I can't do all my usual gaming rituals that I know the rest of you do.
1. Change dice when the ones you are using stop rolling right.
2. Rolling your dice over and over before the game to warm them up.
3. Roll your dice one at a time to force a better result.
4. Leaving your dice TURNED to high or low numbers when they are just
sitting to prime them to roll well.
5. Only rolling one color dice for damage, and another color dice for
Armor Saves.
6. Talking to your dice as you shake them.***

***I have tried talking to the damage cards before drawing them but they don't seem to be listening.

PROOF THAT SOMETHING SINISTER IS GOING ON HERE!
When I first started playing this game I usually drew the engine damage card at the beginning of the game, and everyone figured out I had problems because of the "play the stall every turn" rule.
So I just started playing a stall every turn after I drew my first damage card to throw the enemy off. The Damage Card Gremlins didn't like this so now I just draw the Explosion card!! Really-ask anyone in my group how often I just blow up.

I hope Halloween gets here soon so I can sit in the biggest pumpkin patch in town all night to catch sight of the Great Pumpkin and get a wish granted to get rid of this curse!:rolleyes:

Oberst Hajj
10-22-2009, 22:03
How many of you have the honer of drawing TWO explosion cards from a single round of shoot??? I sure have!

Jmac
10-22-2009, 23:10
Oh you mean like the single barbarian with no armor and two axes that holds off a 20 man veteran unit with full armor plate for 5 turns because he keeps rolling natural maximum and the vets keep rolling natural 1's?

How about on the computer ... Civilization II. I bombarded a Spearman with a Battleship and lost. The Spearman sunk the battleship. :(

Charlie3
10-23-2009, 07:55
How many of you have the honer of drawing TWO explosion cards from a single round of shoot??? I sure have!That would be me.

Charlie3
10-23-2009, 07:58
How about on the computer ... Civilization II. I bombarded a Spearman with a Battleship and lost. The Spearman sunk the battleship. :(
Don't even get me started on the computer consperacy theory. These electronic gizmos cheat more than any human gamer I have every played against! - Uh - Do you think it heard me?

Oberst Hajj
10-23-2009, 08:30
Maybe we should start a Double Dead club! lol

Pooh
10-23-2009, 09:38
And we just thought it was because she was playing Snoopy!

We generally fly 1 plane at a time (unless we're bombers) so we can't draw 2 boom cards in a row. I have drawn the boom card as the 1st hit I've taken though. We are fortunate in that this game doesn't use dice as many of those I play with claim to have cursed dice. At times it seems that way but it all evens out in the end.

Pooh

Oberst Hajj
10-23-2009, 09:43
We play with multiple damage decks if there are a lot of players. I got shot at close range and pulled to of the explosion cards.

Charlie3
10-23-2009, 12:04
And we just thought it was because she was playing Snoopy!

We generally fly 1 plane at a time (unless we're bombers) so we can't draw 2 boom cards in a row. I have drawn the boom card as the 1st hit I've taken though. We are fortunate in that this game doesn't use dice as many of those I play with claim to have cursed dice. At times it seems that way but it all evens out in the end.

Pooh If you're flying bombers that means an "A" deck explosion card and a "B" deck explosion card just waiting to give you the DOUBLE WHAMMY! Which is exactly what has happened to me. AND...Like the Col. stated we use a double "A" deck because we generally have 6+ players in flight at one time, and I drew both explosions from one short range shot! Which ment that there weren't even any pieces of the plane left to find:mad:

Charlie3
10-28-2009, 14:27
And we just thought it was because she was playing Snoopy!Pooh
OK...I just watched the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown cartoon, and it dawned on me that you guys have some bad Karma going on 'cause Snoopy was a horrible fighter pilot! Think about it...He gets shot down in the cartoon, he gets shot down in his own book, he gets shot down in the first Snoopy-vs-The Red Baron song and he gets forced down after using up all of his ammunition in the second Snoopy-vs- The Red Baron Christmas time song.
So! is it just coinsidence that your female player keeps shooting all the MEN down?...I think not!

Pooh
10-28-2009, 14:38
And she is cute too!

Pooh

Oberst Hajj
10-28-2009, 15:42
And she is cute too!

Pooh

So the truth finally comes out... you guys are just to distracted to fly right!!

Charlie3
10-29-2009, 11:51
So the truth finally comes out... you guys are just to distracted to fly right!!Any excuse to mask the REAL reason;)

Pooh
10-29-2009, 13:42
You mean like, we never actually know what we're doing anyway!

Actually, I think its because she has actually hit on a winning formula. She stays out of everyone's way while the aggressive guys mix it up(a really good idea anyway given the number of collisions we have) then swoops in on planes that wander out of the firball.

The 1st explanation is likely closer to the truth.

Pooh

krolik
10-29-2009, 14:05
Actually, I think its because she has actually hit on a winning formula. She stays out of everyone's way while the aggressive guys mix it up(a really good idea anyway given the number of collisions we have) then swoops in on planes that wander out of the firball.

Pooh

We call this "Staying out of the Knot.":)

Charlie3
10-29-2009, 17:03
You mean like, we never actually know what we're doing anyway!PoohThe truth will set you free!

Actually people who are not "Experianced" players tend to do quite well at this game. Which is why it makes a great intoductory game. It is easy to learn, quick to play, and you have a good chance of winning your first game.

Charlie3
10-31-2009, 17:05
BOO!I hope you enjoyed this "Just For Fun" Halloween thread. Although I am not really superstitious I do find it funny that some things happen really often in this game no matter what you do about it. Anyway Happy Halloween, and remember to rub your hands together briskly before drawing any damage cards for luck! Now where did I put that rabbit's foot?