PDA

View Full Version : Real Log Book

Belis4rius
03-08-2011, 05:05
While busy day dreaming at my less than busy Village Post Office (damn the government) a customer came in asking if I knew anyone who spoke or read German. On enquiring why he told me a tale, come with me if you will to a time long, long ago..........OK that's enough of that.

My customer stayed with a German family while he was in the army and the well to do Germans were tidying up and he was told he could take something as a memento, he took some old books. One of which turns out to be a flying log from 1918.

Anyway for one reason or another the german speakers could not help him, so I had a look at it.

It was a flight log of an observer in training, at a large flight school which is now in Poland. It showed the length of time of the flight, weather, duration and the pilots name and the aircraft type, mainly early series Rumplers.

It was interesting to hold this original flight log. I did have more information on it, the unit and the German name of the school but I forgot to keep a copy when I passed it all on to my customer.

Small world.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-08-2011, 11:13
Wow. I have been trawling the net for months looking for examples of log books for the Col's project and only come up with about four or so . that was some find. there don't even seem to be many in museums. The Albert Ball log book went A.W.O.L. years ago, and has never resurfaced, so you were in deed lucky to get a hand on history as it were.
Rob.

MayorJim
03-08-2011, 17:10
Can you post a pic of it?

Belis4rius
03-09-2011, 00:55
I'll try and get it back and scan some of the pages, may take till next week.