PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Flights: Episode 6 - Survival - Part 2

Aero825
03-06-2011, 15:37
Survival

Prologue
Quote from Episode 6 - Survival - Part 1: "I struggle for contol when my engine sputters to a stop in front of me! My battered Camel completely losses control and is sent into a dizzing tailspin! I decide that regaining control is hopeless and I gather my parachute and leap from my smoking plane. The wind is ice on my skin but I manage hold on until I reach a low altitide. I release my chute and my body jerkes upward out of the fall. I glide to a landing in a small woods and tumble to a stop, bruised but alive. The bombers were still in sight, or at least what was left of them. Judging by their direction I can tell which way the front lines are; I gather up my parachute, luckily unharmed, and set off while it's still daylight."

August, 1917
It's been about 3 days scince I set off towards the front lines, and I realize that I have no Idea where I'm actually heading for. I'm hungry, tired, thirsty, and lost. I sit down under a tree and try to think up a plan. I eventually decide that I'll continue towards the front lines and then hope I find an allied outpost.
1 hour later- I've made good progress but there is still no sign of any human activity. I trudge on. I come to a large hill, and upon scaling it, I find a sprawling German trench complex! I duck behind the hill, and I then hear the familiar drone of airplane engines in the distance. I look up into the scorching sun and see a large german squadron of Fokker Dr.I,s Albatros D.Vs and D.Vas. Suddenly the clatter of gunfire erupts from behind me and I look over the hill only to find a huge British tank formation advancing nearby! But that's not the only thing I see; a large squadron of Allied planes is advancing with them, equally as large as the German one. They merge, and I somehow spot the bright colors of my very own squadron, Marcus and Liam following Tom into battle. They split off, and I watch Marcus as he pulls behind an Albatros and forces it down, showing no signs of his old injury. He then turns to strafe the German trenches and I wave to him even though I know he can't see me. I watch the battle, and my squadron fighting with unusual ferocity. It then dawns on me that they probably think I'm dead. I watch as my friend expertly maneuver their planes through the battle, rattling their machine guns at any German that crosses their sights. Suddenly, and explosion rocks the ground, and I look back at the battleground. A large crater had sprund from the trenches, followed by another explosion and another crater. By the time the smoke clears, the British tanks are considerably closer to the aready weakened German trenches. The Germans try to hold off the advancing Brits, but their attempts fail. The tanks roll over the German defenses, victorious on the ground. The remaining German soldiers begin sprinting up the hill. I look for a place to hide, but there is nothing but ground. They erupt over the peak, and thunder past me. One of them looks back, a younger fellow.But another blast from the tanks sends him running, until another blast causes him to fall to the ground, dead. I look back over the hill, the British tanks have stoped. But the battle is still raging above, and I watch as I walk back to the tanks. The allied planes are winning, and I spot Liam pull behind one of the last Fokker Dr.Is and rip it's wings off. It falls to the ground in a mass of flame.
"Halt! Who are you!? What are you doing here!?" I look back at the British soldiers, then look at my clothes. Dirt had completely obscured my uniform, making me totaly unrecognizable to the Allied men.
"I am Lt. Jason Collins of the 358th Aerosquadron. I was downed during the recent bombing raid of a German factory far east of here. I survived because of my parachute, and I beleive my squadron is flying above us right now." I point to the sky, where the battle is almost over, the Germans the ones fleeing.
"Okay, we'd better get you home." The British officer says.

Epilogue
"Jason!" Marcus yells, "You're alive!"
"Yep, dad's parachute worked! And I still have it, completely intact."
"Ha ha! Yeah!" Liam cheers, "We thought you were dead!"
"Yeah, I could tell by the way you fought yesterday." I say.
"You saw us!?" Tom asks.
"Yep, I was right behind the hill the whole time." I reply, "And I saw that Marcus was back up in the sky, too."
"Yeah, I healed pretty quick. Faster than the docs expected."
"Good. I'm glad you can fight again," I say, "and one more thing, do we have any spare Camels?"

Previous > Episode 6 Part 1 (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3860-Fantasy-Flights-Episode-6-Survival-Part-1)

Goering Ace
03-07-2011, 11:13
Another enjoyable read in the ongoing saga!! Where are you finding the time to write all these? :)

Nice writing, son. :)

MayorJim
03-08-2011, 14:34
Nice read! ...now go do your homework or your grounded :D :D :D