PDA

View Full Version : Rickenbacker goes west- or how quickly can you be shot down?!

Danrit
03-04-2011, 13:17
Played a very simple dogfight last night, 5 players- 3 Spads vs 2 Albatros DVIIs. It took 6 cards worth of moves to get into pea shooting range, 3 cards after that and my Rickenbacker Spad XIII was down in flames 4,5,5+1,3+1 damage cards from 2 short range shots. Bugger.
Has anyone died faster than this?!

rockyr
03-04-2011, 13:47
Explosion card, first shot...

Does that count?

MayorJim
03-04-2011, 18:25

Does that count?

LOL!...that's why we usually pull the card of death prior to any fights...

rockyr
03-04-2011, 18:35
Rene Fonck would be disappointed. That card is the only one that explains his techniques in the rules. Or any other one pass win.

PRS
03-04-2011, 21:09
We had a dogfight tonight between a Sopwith Triplane and Camel vs. two Fokker Dr. Is. We closed quickly and, I in the Camel and Lisa in the Tripe concentrated fire on one Dr.I. Three bursts, two of which were at close range, for five cards in two phases, and it was down on points. Then the three of us left started a long process of circling and jigging.

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2011, 22:34
Ruling out the one shot boom card theories... that's a pretty quick demise!

Flying Officer Kyte
03-05-2011, 01:59
5,5,3. with a Nieuport. It was lucky that it was not Albert flying it or I would have been upset.
Rob.

Archidamus
03-05-2011, 02:33
My nephew went down in three cards during one of our games - the cards were 3, 0, and 5........just unfortunate that both the 3 and 5 were pilot wounded cards so down he went :)

gully_raker
03-05-2011, 03:03

Does that count?

That happened to me once with my second damage card draw.
Our club now removes all the Explosion cards except for the D deck for Rocket attacks on Balloons.

gully_raker
03-05-2011, 03:06
Played a very simple dogfight last night, 5 players- 3 Spads vs 2 Albatros DVIIs. It took 6 cards worth of moves to get into pea shooting range, 3 cards after that and my Rickenbacker Spad XIII was down in flames 4,5,5+1,3+1 damage cards from 2 short range shots. Bugger.

Not quite as quick as that but my SE5a drew a 5 & then a 4 in the first 2 damage cards so it was pretty quick after that!

rockyr
03-05-2011, 05:05
My nephew went down in three cards during one of our games - the cards were 3, 0, and 5........just unfortunate that both the 3 and 5 were pilot wounded cards so down he went

In the minis game rules, only Damage 3 + wounded affects pilots, 5 is the observer. Is it different with cards?

Badin23
03-05-2011, 06:41
I love the explosion card. Especially when not on the receiving end! When flying around on a seat of 20 gallons of aviation fuel odds are........

Archidamus
03-05-2011, 07:11
In the minis game rules, only Damage 3 + wounded affects pilots, 5 is the observer. Is it different with cards?

Just re-checked the Deluxe set to make sure. The 3=pilot, 5=observer for wounded cards only applies to two seaters - if flying a scout then both apply to the pilot. Needless to say my nephew was flying a scout (Camel).

rockyr
03-05-2011, 09:04
I can see that reading...

In an older edition, scouts ignored that symbol since it was observe damage. i carried that to the 5 card. However the basic card is pilot now, not observer wounded.

I must keep up with the editions!

I am glad to have this pointed out - it makes killing the pilot in a close shot (3+5 specials) a possibility as well - as so many aces wrote that they aimed to do.

R

R

Archidamus
03-05-2011, 09:57
To be honest, I had misread the original rules and always gone with pilot wounded on both - so technically the rules have finally changed to make my interpretation legal :) :) :)

Danrit
03-05-2011, 13:08
Hang on, can someone explain this from the beginning?! In my version of the rules that card only applies to the observer in a two seater, Pilots are never mentioned at all...

Archidamus
03-05-2011, 13:17
Hang on, can someone explain this from the beginning?! In my version of the rules that card only applies to the observer in a two seater, Pilots are never mentioned at all...

On page 8 of the WoW Miniatures rules in the new Deluxe Boxed Set it says "The [wounded] symbol means that the pilot is wounded...." and goes on to note the effects this has. Finishes with "If an aeroplane takes a second pilot wounded damage, it is eliminated"

On page 10, under the Two Seater section, there is a section called "Observer Wounded". This section says that if a two seater takes a wounded card then "If the card causes 3 points of damage, it concerns the pilot..." and "If the card does not have a 3, it means instead that the observer of the two-seater plane is wounded"

Danrit
03-05-2011, 13:41
Thanks Brian. I have every boxed set so didn't see the need to buy the deluxe. I guess I'm missing out on a few things.

rockyr
03-05-2011, 13:57
The minis rules are available as a free pdf download from the FoF website.

R

AlgyLacey
03-05-2011, 15:22
Our Craig managed to take himself out in turn two with two steeps in a row and nobody shooting at him. rolleyes

tuladin
03-05-2011, 16:08
Thanks Brian. I have every boxed set so didn't see the need to buy the deluxe. I guess I'm missing out on a few things.

Here is the full rule from Revised Deluxe:

The Crew Wounded symbol means that the pilot is wounded. This special damage is kept secret. The plane can no longer fire it's forward machine guns just after executing a steep manoeuvre, an Immelmann turn, a Split-S, or a climb. Unjamming machine guns takes longer: If your guns become jammed, you may not fire after the next four manoeuvres instead of the next three. Take three counters as always (so as not to reveal that your pilot is wounded), but do not fire after the manoeuvre executed just after discarding the last one. If an aircraft takes a second pilot wounded damage, it is eliminated.

When the optional “Special Damage” rules are in use, if the Crew Wounded card is drawn by a two-seater the special damage may affect either the pilot or the observer. If the card causes 3 points of damage, it affects the pilot: Apply the normal rules for a wounded pilot. If it has any other damage value, it means that the observer of the two-seater plane is wounded. This special damage is kept secret. The plane can no longer fire the machine guns in the rear arc of fire. If a two-seater plane has a mission, when you plan the scenario you have to decide if it can be performed by a plane with an incapacitated observer or not (for example, some cameras could be used by the pilot).

Archidamus
03-06-2011, 00:31
Our Craig managed to take himself out in turn two with two steeps in a row and nobody shooting at him. rolleyes

Don't you use flash's spin rule? Von Paulus managed to do an illegal move after an Immelmann in one of our dogfights last month - flash was playing as well, and we all had a laugh as Von P span for two turns before drawing a 0, pulling out of the spin in front of me and getting shot down :) :) :)

AlgyLacey
03-06-2011, 07:17
We do now.

Keeps Craig in the game a little bit longer. ;-P

Aero825
03-06-2011, 07:39

Yes, I beleive I had once, it was a 3-on-3 dogfight, I had been flying a Camel along with omw other planes I think, and got shot down on the first head-on pass. A 4 & a 5 from one plane, a 3 & another 5 from another plane. I've never been so happy to have died before now. :D:D:D My dad and I don't even play explosion cards!

MayorJim
03-06-2011, 14:07
Quickest I was down was in 3 cards...2 turns and no explosion card of death...

HardRock
03-15-2011, 16:09
Other than the explosion card. :0 Two pilot wounded from long range, no other cards.. So much for Brown's new Camel.

RJB
03-19-2011, 16:27
I can't see why anyone would want to take out the explosion cards they make it so much more fun:D. Knowing that you've just pulled out five zeros in a row can make you feel invulnerable then 'BANG' down you go:o. Loads of laughs from round the table!

Rich

Hunter
03-31-2011, 00:44
My first flight with an SE5a, second turn I went straight into a pack of two DrI's and gave 'em both barrels. Short range for both. So I drew four A-damage cards - 5, 3, 5, & (I can't remember the number but remember 'on fire'). With two pilot hits. DEAD FINI. So I was burning, going down, dead. Oh, btw, my hits on the one...0, 1. Great. Ces la vie!

Justin3.14
03-31-2011, 04:17
I do admit the boom card does bring no end of laughs at the afflicted, assuming there is some way to bring the player back if it happens too quickly... or make him go out and get more beer/coffee/nibbly bits.

Pooh
03-31-2011, 11:33
We had a 5 on 5 game the other night. Some of the allied planes used the B deck. We had 2 planes (1 on each side) draw the boom card on the 1st round of fire. The next turn 2 aircraft (both on the same side) collided. On of the planes in the collision had just been shot up and did a wild manouver to avoid being hit again and so ran into his ally. He drew 10 points of damage and spiraled down. On the same turn, another of his allies caught fire and went down 2 turns later. The 2 surviving German planes then fled the field leaving the day to the 4 victorious allied airmen.

A very short engagement.

Pooh

Bartman
04-09-2011, 07:14
Don't you use flash's spin rule? Von Paulus managed to do an illegal move after an Immelmann in one of our dogfights last month - flash was playing as well, and we all had a laugh as Von P span for two turns before drawing a 0, pulling out of the spin in front of me and getting shot down :) :) :)

Brian,

Is that spin rule posted here? It sounds interesting.

As you were. Found it right here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2375-Spinning-Out

Charlie3
04-09-2011, 13:14
Don't you use flash's spin rule? Von Paulus managed to do an illegal move after an Immelmann in one of our dogfights last month - flash was playing as well, and we all had a laugh as Von P span for two turns before drawing a 0, pulling out of the spin in front of me and getting shot down :) :) :)ouch!

Charlie3
04-09-2011, 13:15
I can't see why anyone would want to take out the explosion cards they make it so much more fun:D. Knowing that you've just pulled out five zeros in a row can make you feel invulnerable then 'BANG' down you go:o. Loads of laughs from round the table!

RichI've been saying this from day one. It is still my favorite card to give or recieve! Preferably give!!

csadn
04-09-2011, 15:55

WW1: I killed someone with two "engine damage" draws on one shot.

Archidamus
04-10-2011, 02:09
The next turn 2 aircraft (both on the same side) collided. On of the planes in the collision had just been shot up and did a wild manouver to avoid being hit again and so ran into his ally. He drew 10 points of damage and spiraled down.

One of our players (Captain Hurst) is normally a pre-Dreadnought naval gamer, and is working on a treatise entitled "The use of the ram in aerial warfare" - he claims that ramming is a valid naval tactic that can be transferred to dogfights :) :) :). In one session he downed three enemy planes and one ally by ramming - and he never drew a point of damage

Von Paulus went down in four cards recently - two "0"s and two "1 - pilot wounded" cards (we play with triple damage decks). I am starting to become convinced that in any gaming session at least one of us (usually we have 4 - 6 players) will draw some combination of special damage cards that will down the plane with little actual points damage!

Pooh
04-10-2011, 09:20
We also use multiple decks. I have 3 A decks and 2 B decks. I have combined them into 1 deck each so it would be theororeticaly possible to have five planes explode in a single round. More if we had collisions.

Pooh

Flying Officer Kyte
04-10-2011, 11:02
We also use multiple decks. I have 3 A decks and 2 B decks. I have combined them into 1 deck each so it would be theororeticaly possible to have five planes explode in a single round. More if we had collisions.

Pooh

I am currently running with two A, two B, two C, and two D decks. Seems to cover all our needs fine. As no one seems to want to swap anything for my spare third A deck if anyone is a deck short let me know.
Rob.

csadn
04-12-2011, 14:52
One of our players (Captain Hurst) is normally a pre-Dreadnought naval gamer, and is working on a treatise entitled "The use of the ram in aerial warfare" - he claims that ramming is a valid naval tactic that can be transferred to dogfights :) :) :). In one session he downed three enemy planes and one ally by ramming - and he never drew a point of damage

The Russians were using "taran" (ramming) attacks in WW*2*, during the early stages of the fight against Germany; in essence, the Russian would stick his prop into the German's tail, then glide to a landing. ISTR reports of some Russians managing two or more rams before having to land.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, the first Russian victory of WW1 was scored by Peter Nesterov ramming a German 2-seater; Nesterov did not survive the attack, tho'.

Removing the Boom Card: I can't count the number of players I've lost due to first-draw Boom results -- esp. when the rest of the table is laughing at him. So, no Boom at my table.