PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield and Rotherham Wargamers 'Ace of Aces' challenge

Gavin
02-28-2011, 04:00
At the Sheffield and Rotherham Wargamers, we are in the process of setting up a leaderboard campaign to see who in the club is the 'Ace of Aces'!!

I will be posting updates onto this thread so to 'share' the fun with you all. It's a light hearted campaign, with no pressure to play on a particular day.

You can find details of how it's being done here (http://wargamesemporium.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3308) but keep in mind that the final rules are not 100% complete yet.

The guy who is organising it is not claiming credit for any of the rules we are using, but rather he is compiling a set of rules from what he has found around the place (maybe even on here) that fit together well and meet our needs. Therefore it's possible you may notice some stuff that is from here.

Hopefully, we will generate some good reading for you all!! I'll try and get pics of some of the games!

Big Al
02-28-2011, 04:57
Fear not, Gavin, I'll shoot you down, being a dastardly Hun in this campaign

TheRedBaron
02-28-2011, 11:35
Alex ....leave Gavin to me, he's not the best of flyers so lets get rid of the Fokker Fodder first (try saying that when you've had a few!) ....The Red Baron (Clarkey)

Gavin
02-28-2011, 11:51
Oh bless you. I'll have you know that I'm quiet handy (read: flukey) with a bi-plane...... just need my set to turn up so I can get some practise games in.....

Danrit
02-28-2011, 12:00
Brilliant! Can anyone from Sheffield and Rotherham Join in/come and watch? I've got a rather big collection of WoW planes, mats etc. and would be willing to lend/share my collection. I can't guarantee every Thursday though, new baby boy is taking priority at the moment.

Gavin
02-28-2011, 12:40
Brilliant! Can anyone from Sheffield and Rotherham Join in/come and watch? I've got a rather big collection of WoW planes, mats etc. and would be willing to lend/share my collection. I can't guarantee every Thursday though, new baby boy is taking priority at the moment.

I should think so. ;-)

Get registered on the other forum I linked above and post your interest in that thread.

No need to make every Thursday, it's being run so you can play your games as and when you can.

Danrit
02-28-2011, 13:31
Thanks. Where do you meet?

Gavin
02-28-2011, 13:58
Park Gardeners Club, Cricket Inn Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S2 5AT

Thursdays from 7pm.

I'm also going to be doing some games at my office in Neepsend Lane. Maybe some Saturday large games then over to the pub for a couple (Keeps Clarkey happy that way).

Just had an email to say my deluxe set went in the post today. W00T

TheRedBaron
02-28-2011, 14:01
Count me in for a flying session down at the office Gavin ...will have to get the flight crew down ....let us know when ...cheers Paul

Danrit
02-28-2011, 14:03
I'll try to make the next meet, cheers.

Big Al
03-12-2011, 00:46
Well we got off to an interesting start. The Red Baron got an instant kill with his first couple of bursts! The unfortunate victim managed to draw two 'pilot killed' damage cards and being the kind hearted souls that we are, we let him know that he'd bought it! Of course, that was all The Red Baron managed before falling victim himself, though he was rather picked on. Those DR1s are quite fragile! Personally, I had a real problem trying to take out a DH4. When you're not using altitude rules those twin awarded are all but invincible! Needless to say I followed the Red Baron, but it took time. The albatross is an excellent kite. When playing multi-player games you really do have to watch your back! Gavin faired well enough too, and I had a devil of a job trying to avoid him while trying to find the DH4's blind spots.

We then had another game with nine players. If you haven't done this before, you really have to give it a go. You really do become disoriented after the first couple of turns and avoiding collisions is interesting. At one point I managed to get myself between two Spads in the narrowest of gaps. Neither could shoot me either. Another interesting situation was when a SE5a managed to pull alongside me, don't know how! He pulled slightly ahead so my prop was alongside his cockpit. Because we were counting the whole base as a target, for the newcomers benefit, I was able to get a shot off at him! The downside was that my guns jammed or I'd have got a few more into him and on the third phase found Gavin in my useless sights. He still had an uncomfortable moment, though!

All told, an excellent evening's entertainment, with the promise of more to come!

TheRedBaron
03-12-2011, 01:13
Hi Alex....nice report , I think it sums it up perfectly!.....having a bleedin red plane looks good but adoes seem to draw the attention of the other chaps...Gavin had a good night s flying and should really have the man of the match award!....was he lucky or did some sort of skill achieve the results ..cheers Paul

Big Al
03-12-2011, 02:29
I think it was due to everyone trying to target you and sticking close to that blasted DH4! If Paul had been in a single seated, I reckon Gavin would have taken more flak. A one on one situation would be an interesting fight!

Gavin
03-12-2011, 11:07
It was skill Paul. Across the two games it was 8 vs 8 and I got 6 kills, so I am happy with that............. A sign of things to come with the leaderboard...... I bloody well hope so!!!! lol

TheRedBaron
03-12-2011, 12:11
Jammy....your new call sign should be "The Vulture" ...picking off the easy targets after your wingmen have done the hard work :):):)....das Rote Baron!

Danrit
03-12-2011, 12:53
Seems like you had a good game. I really like large dogfights, I've managed to have a 5 on 5 brawl at Sheffield Wargames Society and that was confusing enough!

MayorJim
03-12-2011, 15:17
It was skill Paul. Across the two games it was 8 vs 8 and I got 6 kills, so I am happy with that............. A sign of things to come with the leaderboard...... I bloody well hope so!!!! lol

Gavin, 6 kills? Way to go!!

TheRedBaron
03-12-2011, 15:59
The Vulture had a good flight:)

Flying Officer Kyte
03-13-2011, 03:20
Glad to hear you chaps had a good show. It is always an extra plus when a large group can get together for a furball.
Rob.