PDA

View Full Version : Additional models/ ground forces.

GuySajerGD
02-24-2011, 08:55
Does anyone use additional models on the gamemats to represent ground forces. Example: tank columns or entrenched troops, etc. etc..

I would like to use something else other than the troop cards.
If you do, what models do you use and what scale?

I would like to use something more 3D than that card with a brown spot on it. I am making all this effort and expense to use nice looking model planes on a nice game mat, I would like to finish it with nice ground models.

Thanks

jbmacek
02-24-2011, 09:37
I've kicked around the idea, but other than the train in our big game last month, I haven't done it. My original thinking was to go with something like 10mm, but having looked at some of the stuff that's out there for sale, and some of the threads on this forum discussing the options, I think I'd be more tempted to go with 6mm, for instance:
http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/6mmRanges/6mmWW1.htm

David Manley
02-24-2011, 11:40
Irregular Miniatures 6mm WW1 stuff works well.

The Cowman
02-24-2011, 12:52
Fiddlers Green has 4 new WWI tank paper models... I am thinking about ordering them and building quite a few... perhaps at a scale smaller than 1/144 to give the appearance of altitude above the targets...

Max Headroom
02-24-2011, 14:02
I personally don't like 3D targets on the mat as it gets in the way of play which is why I did all those custom ground targets etc. Have a look in the FILES section if you haven't already.

MayorJim
02-26-2011, 18:29
I tend to agree with Alan...other minis on the playing surface would seem to get in the way. Of course a nice hangar with scenics around it or a ship, etc. off to a side or edge of the area could look pretty nice. 6mm seems a bit smallish for my taste but might give the illusion of heigth...I have some N and Z szale model RR stuff that seems to work fine. I have also used some of Alan's fine vehicle cards (and weaponry)...they look great and don't interfere with the aircraft.

Naharaht
02-27-2011, 11:54
I suppose that you could used the card with the brown spot and then bring out the model(s) when the planes flew down to low altitude.

MayorJim
02-27-2011, 16:01
I suppose that you could used the card with the brown spot and then bring out the model(s) when the planes flew down to low altitude.

...or the other way round as well...that way, when actually "over' the target, it won't get in the way

crhkrebs
03-06-2011, 11:44
I tend to agree with Alan...other minis on the playing surface would seem to get in the way. Of course a nice hangar with scenics around it or a ship, etc. off to a side or edge of the area could look pretty nice. 6mm seems a bit smallish for my taste but might give the illusion of heigth...I have some N and Z szale model RR stuff that seems to work fine. I have also used some of Alan's fine vehicle cards (and weaponry)...they look great and don't interfere with the aircraft.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with Alan and Jim, though I do actually agree with their complaints.

I would have never been interested in WoW or DoW when they were purely card games. I'm a miniature game player at heart. I also like to make up scenarios where the ground interacts with the airplanes. I like anti-aircraft guns, balloons, trenches, tanks, buildings etc. Since I'm a miniature player, I like my ground paraphernalia to be in 3 dimensions also. Yes, there comes a time when the plane bases interfere with the ground objects. For the one or two turns that happens I use the airplane card instead of the airplane model itself. The minor nuisance of doing that is worth it for the eye-candy effect of a 3 dimensional table.
I also find that using a different ground scale for the ground stuff looks better too (at least to my eyes). I use microscale 1/285 scale for the ground troops, buildings etc. I find that GHQ makes incredibly detailed, yet easy to paint figures. I agree with Jim, in that I find that it makes the airplanes seem like they are higher up in the air than they actually are. Your mileage may vary. Here is the website for GHQ, though there are other fine manufacturers:

http://www.ghqmodels.com/pages/military/index.asp

However, this is your hobby. If tip-toeing over actual ground models seems too much of a hassle then, by all means, use the wonderful gaming aids submitted by the readership here. Alan's cards are very nice for this.