PDA

View Full Version : Reviresco models

john snelling
02-22-2011, 09:25
Recently I bought 6 different Reviresco WW1 kits.
Spad VII - great detail, no flash. Wing struts were included and had a 2 part fuselage.
Did not include a pilot. Probaly the best kit for beginners like myself.
Nieuport 11 - great detail, no flash, struts and pilot included. Another good kit for beginners.
Albatros D.II - Some flash, good detail, 2 part fuselage, struts included. This kit is a bit more complicated. No pilot was included.
Sopwith Pup - alittle flash, Detail lacking, the fueslage was one piece with tail and pilot included. Need .02 wire to complete.
Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter - Lots of flash. OK detail the bottom wing has some blemishes from the mold . Lots of parts. Sinlge piece fuslage. Crew and struts included. Not a kit I would recommend for beginners.
Ansaldo SVA5. Good mold and OK detail. Single piece fuselage with tail and pilot. Need .02 wire for struts. Need wing jigs to place wings in proper place. This kit is not for beginners like myself.

I also bought their Albatros D.V decals. The sheet has decals for three planes. I soaked some WoW D.V's in hot water and pulled off the top wings. Painted the fuselage the color of the decal. Then trimmed the decal down to fit. I painted the spinners under wing and struts. The these models came out alot better then the kits.

I cannot understand why the models have holes in the wings on the Spad VII a slot would work alot better. Repaints are the way to go in my opinion if only I were more patient.

jbmacek
02-22-2011, 09:46
Yeah, from what I've seen the Reviresco do vary a bit between easy/difficult and nicely cast/pitted. I suppose the latter has something to do with the age of the mold.

The Cowman
02-22-2011, 10:05
I have actually posted quite few times regarding Reviresco in the past, as have others... Their molds are getting pretty worn and quality control is a bit thin at times... If you contact the owner he will make good on missing parts... and replace bad ones if you ask. The models do require some patience... but can turn out nice if you clean them up well... I think if we all keep giving him constructive feedback, he may start to listen and make changes as he can... Which would be good since he is the only real supplier of 1/144 scale WWI kits in the US.

grumpybear
02-22-2011, 10:23
The ones I got were cast badly lots of pits and mold marks. Lots of filler to fix but comming along nicely.

Justin3.14
02-22-2011, 10:37
15 Bucks for a cardstock Gotha!?

Guntruck
02-22-2011, 11:16
Reviresco quality? Don't get me started!:mad::mad::mad:

john snelling
02-23-2011, 10:42
The ones I got were cast badly lots of pits and mold marks. Lots of filler to fix but comming along nicely.

What models were they so I will not order them. Thanks. I really like forums that shares info. No matter how many times it been discussed the more info the better.
How difficult do you perceive the models are to build. Thanks.

MayorJim
02-23-2011, 12:15
Thanks for the info...if I ever break down and try to actually build something, I'll shy away from these...

petitbilbo
02-23-2011, 13:02
Reviresco quality? Don't get me started!:mad::mad::mad:

May I turn your attention to the following thread started by The Cowman?
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2849-Concerning-Reviresco...

The quintescence seems to be: yes there are some problems, no they are not insurmountable and even sometimes more of an estetical nature than anything else (Flash? I even get flash on plastic models... so what?). What's better is that the after sales service is apparently very good.

My two (euro-)cents on the matter while I bite my nails waiting for my next 4 planes to arrive...

:p

petitbilbo (hell bent on getting to a hundred posts this week!)

Guntruck
02-24-2011, 02:34
May I turn your attention to the following thread started by The Cowman?
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?2849-Concerning-Reviresco...

The quintescence seems to be: yes there are some problems, no they are not insurmountable and even sometimes more of an estetical nature than anything else (Flash? I even get flash on plastic models... so what?). What's better is that the after sales service is apparently very good.

My two (euro-)cents on the matter while I bite my nails waiting for my next 4 planes to arrive...

:p

After sales may well be good, but if you are on the other side of the Atlantic it is still b****y annoying to have to wait 3 weeks for replacement parts to arrive. It's not a one-off either unfortunatey. This has been going on for years.

This is what I find so really frustrating because Reviresco make an interesting range of models, but I reluctant to part with my hard-earned dosh, especially for the ones where the moulds have been around for some time now.

petitbilbo
02-24-2011, 04:20
That reminds me: I'm on the other side of the Atlantic and I am currently waiting for my first order...

You could be right there Steve! The waiting is indeed bl**dy annoying.

petitbilbo

petitbilbo
02-24-2011, 04:20
That reminds me: I'm on the other side of the Atlantic and I am currently waiting for my first order...

You could be right there Steve! The waiting is indeed bl**dy annoying.

petitbilbo

Doug
02-24-2011, 04:40
It's a long wait on the other side of the Pacific as well. The sevice is good, but I have to get others to assemble them for me, and I find (like every one else) that brass rod is a must for assembly.

jbmacek
02-24-2011, 04:54
I think if we all keep giving him constructive feedback, he may start to listen and make changes as he can... Which would be good since he is the only real supplier of 1/144 scale WWI kits in the US.

I agree. In my experience he's quick to set things right when you contact him with a problem. Of the Reviresco kits I have assembled, two went together with surprising ease (the Dr.I and the D.VII), one was tricky (Halb D.II) and one that I thought was going to be a total loss came out ok (the Tripe). The Sopwith Dolphin that I haven't built should be a breeze; it is easily the best looking set of castings that I have seen from Reviresco. The S-S D.III looks pretty clean too.

john snelling
02-24-2011, 06:24
I agree. In my experience he's quick to set things right when you contact him with a problem. Of the Reviresco kits I have assembled, two went together with surprising ease (the Dr.I and the D.VII), one was tricky (Halb D.II) and one that I thought was going to be a total loss came out ok (the Tripe). The Sopwith Dolphin that I haven't built should be a breeze; it is easily the best looking set of castings that I have seen from Reviresco. The S-S D.III looks pretty clean too.
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted this post to be different from Cowmans original post by dicussing specific models from Reviresco. I shy away from the difficult eyes are not what they used to be. Has anyone built the Aviatik Berg Scout D-1 to give me some feed back? I want to build 3 of them.

Stormkahn
02-24-2011, 06:51
After sales may well be good, but if you are on the other side of the Atlantic it is still b****y annoying to have to wait 3 weeks for replacement parts to arrive. It's not a one-off either unfortunatey. This has been going on for years.

This is what I find so really frustrating because Reviresco make an interesting range of models, but I reluctant to part with my hard-earned dosh, especially for the ones where the moulds have been around for some time now.

Is it worth having a thread were you/we can keep track of the good/bad ones?

Just my 2p,

cheers,

dave.

MayorJim
02-24-2011, 13:13

You made it! Now on to the next hundred :D

petitbilbo
02-24-2011, 14:07
Whohooo!
Full Lieutenant!

Thanks Jim, I hadn't realised it until I read your message.

:)

petitbilbo

The Cowman
02-24-2011, 21:07
Is it worth having a thread were you/we can keep track of the good/bad ones?

Just my 2p,

cheers,

dave.

I am not sure that there is an issue with "good" or "bad" model kits by type... I think he has had some bad molding runs; that quality control before packaging is an issue; and I think that there are a few of his kits that are not for beginners...

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2011, 02:22
When i write up my build Projects I usually indicate what ability you need to have for that model. Obviously I have not experienced all the models available, but if each person who has did a little write up in the How To section it would go a long way toward helping other people and would not be a big job for any single person. It would also be easy to direct a member to the information.
Rob.

petitbilbo
02-25-2011, 03:34
I wrote earlier that I was anxiously waiting for my package from Reviresco to arrive.

Well, it did! Or rather, it came to my doorstep and then it went away again... :(

The reason? As it has been sent from outside the EU, there's an import tax to be paid.
€10 !!! :confused:

And as I didn't have the money at hand (here in Belgium, we pay most of our transactions with a bank-card), the marvelous person from BPost took it back, saying that I can fetch it at the postoffice as of next monday. :mad:

I new it and I had forgotten it, my bad.

But this triggers another thought: the relative price of a plane bought from Reviresco.

I ordered 3 Fokker E.III and one Halberstadt D.II plus their respective decals: 4 x (8+3) = 44$
Plus 7$ ship/handling = $51

That's about €37. +10 for those bl**dy taxes = €47 for 4 planes or about €12 per plane.

That's all nice, but with that, I still need a flight stand, adding about €2.5 per plane.

€14.50 for a plane that I still need to build and paint!
I can have a Nexus prepainted and ready plane for less than €10! That's 45-50% less.

Isn't this somewhat insane? :confused:

Actually, no, it isn't!

Because I love to build those things.
Because I love to paint those things.
Because I have a real sense of achievement when finished.
Because those planes aren't yet available from Nexus.
Because I like to surprise my adversaries with new and unknown planes.
And most of all: because I can! :cool:

So, I'll presumably continue to buy those

sometimes imperfectly cast,
sometimes 'comming with missing parts'²
still to be worked on
all but cheap

heaps of white metal!
'cos there's more to it than the price and the quality... the fun, the challenge, the pride, ...

petitbilbo

²) "comming with missing parts": well, if they come, that means that the parts are not missing, no? :p

jbmacek
02-25-2011, 03:55
I ordered 3 Fokker E.III and one Halberstadt D.II plus their respective decals: 4 x (8+3) = 44$
Plus 7$ ship/handling = $51
Is there a reason why you didn't order the Fokker E.III from Skytrex? Looking at the pics on the respective websites and comparing the two, I think I'd go with theirs instead of Reviresco's.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2011, 04:04
I must admit that I now go with Skytrex whenever I can and only get Reviresco if it is unavailable in Skytrex. this is not because of the import price but mainly because of the saga of missing parts, poor quality casting and delivery time lapse. Not all planes are bad but enough to cause disquiet. The Brandenburg for example had a very bad wing defect and no prop. I ain't waiting another three weeks for a prop, so I made my own, but could have spent the time better. If I have a problem with Skytrex it is just in the next county.I could even call in at a pinch, so no contest.
Rob.

petitbilbo
02-25-2011, 04:49
Is there a reason why you didn't order the Fokker E.III from Skytrex? Looking at the pics on the respective websites and comparing the two, I think I'd go with theirs instead of Reviresco's.

Actually, yes there is!
I refuse to own a credit card (knowing myself, I'd max it out in half the time needed to say the word 'selfcontrol') and Skytrex won't accept Paypal.
So, Reviresco it is.

petitbilbo

Guntruck
02-25-2011, 04:52
I must admit that I now go with Skytrex whenever I can and only get Reviresco if it is unavailable in Skytrex.

This is the frustration - Reviresco have a much better range than Skytrex, yet you end up thinking is it worth it with all the hassle of miscast/missing bits all the time.

So for me as well, it's Skytrex whenever possible. I had the wrong sprue in one of their kits recently but replacements arrived within two days of my email, and it's the only problem I've had with Skytrex in years of dealing with them.

Guntruck
02-25-2011, 05:01
Actually, yes there is!
I refuse to own a credit card (knowing myself, I'd max it out in half the time needed to say the word 'selfcontrol') and Skytrex won't accept Paypal.
So, Reviresco it is.

petitbilbo

What you need to find is a chum who has a credit card and a Paypal account, get them to order from Skytrex and have Skytrex deliver to your address, and pay your mate by Paypal - simples! :cool:

john snelling
02-25-2011, 05:25
When i write up my build Projects I usually indicate what ability you need to have for that model. Obviously I have not experienced all the models available, but if each person who has did a little write up in the How To section it would go a long way toward helping other people and would not be a big job for any single person. It would also be easy to direct a member to the information.
Rob.
Rob, thank you. That was the idea of my post for each model to be discussed. Your words are so much better than mine. Being a former military guy I write very brief and sometimes the meaning gets lost. I would find it hard to pay an import tax of 10 euros. whats the percentage? 20%!!!

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2011, 06:07
Rob, thank you. That was the idea of my post for each model to be discussed. Your words are so much better than mine. Being a former military guy I write very brief and sometimes the meaning gets lost. I would find it hard to pay an import tax of 10 euros. whats the percentage? 20%!!!

Don't sell yourself short John. Short and to the point is good. I often get criticised for being over verbose.I can't imagine why, but I'm sure one of my pilots will supply us with a thousand and one answers to that as soon as I post this reply.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2011, 08:40
Only when the bar is closed Gunners.
Rob.

The Cowman
02-25-2011, 09:27
Rob.

I believe it was you who warned me that the Reviresco Sopwith Triplane was one of the more difficult builds you has ever done... and to date it is the most difficult I have done as well...

PRS
02-25-2011, 11:48
Only when the bar is closed Gunners.
Rob.

Hmmm? Was this meant as reply for some other thread? Or is it rhyming slang? Tsar is deposed? (still makes no sense to me)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-25-2011, 12:01
There was an actual post sent by Guntruck between these two posts of mine which seems to have gorn astray.
Rob.

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by john snelling)---
Rob, thank you. Your words are so much better than mine.
---End Quote---

Some of them even appear in the right order ;) This last made by Gunners.

petitbilbo
02-25-2011, 15:00
I would find it hard to pay an import tax of 10 euros. whats the percentage? 20%!!!

A bit less because I ordered the pilots with the rest, but yes it is quite steep.
For values under a certain amount, a fixed tax is levied (the 10 euro-bucks mentionned).

But I actually knew that, I had simply forgotten about it.

petitbilbo

petitbilbo
02-25-2011, 15:00
I would find it hard to pay an import tax of 10 euros. whats the percentage? 20%!!!

A bit less because I ordered the pilots with the rest, but yes it is quite steep.
For values under a certain amount, a fixed tax is levied (the 10 euro-bucks mentionned).

But I actually knew that, I had simply forgotten about it.

petitbilbo

David Manley
02-25-2011, 23:16
Life woudl be so much simpler if there was a Riviresco agent in Europe.

Guntruck
02-26-2011, 01:09
Life woudl be so much simpler if there was a Riviresco agent in Europe.

A European agent would be handy, but if he's being supplied from the US it doesn't get over quality control issues.

David Manley
02-26-2011, 01:17
Not a plan that would solve every issue, granted, but it would make supply a bit easier

Boney10
02-26-2011, 02:01
I am still trying to fathom the Pre-painted official model for less than 10 Euros, where ? In uk the cheapest I have seen is Doms at £8.99 ! 10 Euro is approx £8.5 I think currently

David Manley
02-26-2011, 02:06
Amazon.co.uk has some series IV at decent prices at the moment.

petitbilbo
02-26-2011, 10:08
I am still trying to fathom the Pre-painted official model for less than 10 Euros, where ? In uk the cheapest I have seen is Doms at £8.99 ! 10 Euro is approx £8.5 I think currently

I'm a longtime client at Ludikbazar in France: http://www.ludikbazar.com (works in English as well)

There, most of the series 1 come at around €8.50, the Fokker Dr.1 (Rahn) comes at €9.90, just to give a few examples.
But, as I said, I'm a longtime client and therefore, I get 15% off.
The same planes would cost me €7.22 and €8.42.

That is *well* under 10 eurobucks, isn't it?

(Oh and, if you want to buy there, could you mention that you have been sent by "Renι Bartholemy"? There could be some goodies for me...) :)

petitbilbo

Boney10
02-26-2011, 10:55
Then Bilbo you are a lucky man and shows ( once again) rip off Britain (big big sigh)

petitbilbo
02-26-2011, 11:43
Hold on there!

My (not really so)FLGS has similar prizes as those you mentionned.

Dunno how Ludikbazar does it...

petitbilbo

Bluedevil
02-26-2011, 12:14
Ludikbazar eh?...Gotta check this out...THere's still room for more aircraft on my "airfield" :p