PDA

View Full Version : New Series: Axis and Allies Aircraft

podette
02-17-2011, 11:23
I was just told that Axis and Allies will be doing a WW2 Plane set but the person did not know the scale. I know that they did 1/144 roughly on their ground set with Air expansions. Anyone know if the new 'plane only' set will be 1/144 or 1/200 ??

tuladin
02-17-2011, 11:45
It will be 1/100 scale. you can read more about it here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3690-Angels-Twenty&highlight=angels

Baron
02-18-2011, 14:11
their ground game had planes at scale 1/240 while the new air game will have 1/100 scale.

kaufschtick
03-02-2011, 11:56
I sure hope they don't try to pass off the Supermarine Spitfire as an Me-109 painted in British colors again!:D

How "bendy" are those planes going to be!? Get your "hot water", heat-treat process's ready to straighten those planes out! :D

WotC always has some of their mini's that come out really nice. On the other hand, they always have some that turn out laughable. With that game being collectable, the prices per plane, on the "singles dealers" sites, rival the discount prices for WoW planes at places like CoolStuff! That's just the planes from their Axis & Allies ground combat game, A&A Miniatures; the planes that are in 1/240 scale!

P-51Ds with three bladed props...Spitfires that are actually an Me-109 model painted in British colors, bendy wings and fuselages...:D

I feel like this is one I wouldn't want to miss for the world! Get your tickets now, you won't want to miss this train wreck!:D

podette
03-02-2011, 12:08
I sure hope they don't try to pass off the Supermarine Spitfire as an Me-109 painted in British colors again!:D

How "bendy" are those planes going to be!? Get your "hot water", heat-treat process's ready to straighten those planes out! :D

WotC always has some of their mini's that come out really nice. On the other hand, they always have some that turn out laughable. With that game being collectable, the prices per plane, on the "singles dealers" sites, rival the discount prices for WoW planes at places like CoolStuff! That's just the planes from their Axis & Allies ground combat game, A&A Miniatures; the planes that are in 1/240 scale!

P-51Ds with three bladed props...Spitfires that are actually an Me-109 model painted in British colors, bendy wings and fuselages...:D

I feel like this is one I wouldn't want to miss for the world! Get your tickets now, you won't want to miss this train wreck!:D

Thanks for the feedback LOL, I'd forgotten about those Me Spit09's.

What is Coolstuff is that a retail website. I could not find it at first search. What is the url (I assume it's a discount retailer?).

Thanks again.

tuladin
03-02-2011, 12:47
Coolstuffinc.com (http://coolstuffinc.com)

bsmith13
03-02-2011, 17:36

I'm with you...The previous aircraft releases were disappointing enough to get me to leave collectible miniatures games entirely. It would be nice if they do it right, but I'm not counting on it.

crhkrebs
03-09-2011, 05:58
Well at 1/100 it'll be pretty ballsy to proxie a Spitfire as a repainted Me-109.

P-51D
05-13-2011, 20:35
WOTC = Fail, there is no way there stuff will be as nice as what we get in WoW. While I play War At Sea, their naval game, and bought thousands of ships and planes, not o mention the 3000 plus Star Wars Miniatures I have from them, there is no doubt in my mind that this will disappoint! Lets hurry up and get Series hree and the patrol bombers already!!

Oberst Hajj
05-13-2011, 22:02
Thanks for the feedback LOL, I'd forgotten about those Me Spit09's.

What is Coolstuff is that a retail website. I could not find it at first search. What is the url (I assume it's a discount retailer?).

Thanks again.

They are also a sponsor of our little site here, so support them when ever you can!

Diamondback
05-14-2011, 03:20
On Naval, it helps that every year at GenCon a bunch of us diehards gang up on Rich Baker, game designer, and mercilessly and relentlessly club him over the head with Clue-Bats to drive certain messages home. And with me being a lifelong aviation student IN HIS BACKYARD and knowing exactly where to find it, he knows he can't afford to screw this up too much... because I'll drop in and Roto-Rooter him a new one if he does--he still has buttscars from a planet-sized arsechewing at GenCon '08.

P-51D
05-15-2011, 05:29
@Diamondback, I am Thodafett over on the Forumini and an avid supporter of WAS. I love what Rich Baker has done with that game neautrals and fantasy ships aside. I am thankful for guys like you, Weeds, and BasicBob that keep Rich on the straight and narrow. I just don't see how their product is going to compete quality wise with what we get in WoW. I hope I am wrong, but also won't be too dissappointed if I am right. I really dont need another game to be shelling money into. As an aviation nut myself I have been closely watching Angels 20 with great interest yet great doubt as well. Hopefully we will see our first pieces in the near future. I just WoW would nail down their releases a little better. WE have been hearing about quite a few of the upcoming release for going on two years now. Not to forget how hard some of this stuff is to get, which shouldn't be the case as this is not a collectible game.

Diamondback
05-15-2011, 14:41
Yeah, it sucks that this game makes "collectibles" seem "Mass Market" by comparison...:( and shows that somebody ain't exactly a Wharton School of Business MBA among the decision-makers at Nexus, 'cause there's lots of room for improvement in "efficiently separating the customers from their money".

skystalker
05-15-2011, 18:00
My experience with A&A Minis was very negative. From the out-of-scale Hellcat that they did in the first release, which I was told would be replaced for free (never happened) to the out-of-scale planes and the Messerspit, they continually promised to make the game right. Then, they finally sold "Version 2.0" that contained now-scale models of some of the out-of-scale vehicles as new sets. What great folks to let you rebuy models that were finally at the right scale so you could replace the old ones, eh? Bottom line is I agree with those who have indicated a real aversion to any set that WOTC would release, as they'll never see any more of my $$. FFG has done a much better job of providing a quality product that is fun......and their planes aren't released with new (and unrealistic) properties to sell each new set. Their products seem to be stat-driven and are much better made as well (I can't tell you how many A&A tank barrels I had to use the hair dryer/ice water technique on).

Diamondback
05-15-2011, 18:39
All valid issues, Skystalker--if we could somehow combine WOTC's ability to get a product to market with Nexus's quality of product, that would really put the "WOW!" in WoW...

But it's about as likely as me scoring a threesome with two Playmates... and then somehow scoring an all-the-fun-you-can-handle-for-a-week-free pass to the Bunny Ranch. :P LOL

P-51D
05-15-2011, 19:06
My experience with A&A Minis was very negative. (I can't tell you how many A&A tank barrels I had to use the hair dryer/ice water technique on).

That is what scares me about the new air game. If it looks anything like the abomination that the Star Wars Space Battles was, I'll cry. Ever ship and sculpt in that game were warped and just plain horrible. With the planes scheduled to be larger perhaps the plastic won't need so much work to look the way it was intended to look. I digress...and won't count my chickens until they hatch. I love the effort thatNexus has put into the quality of WoW. Hopefully as thye see this game is gaining more momentum that can get product to the shelves a little quicker.

Diamondback
05-15-2011, 19:09
And that's the real reason I'm buying into both aside from general wingnuttery: a little thing that back in the Trade we called "Leverage"...