PDA

View Full Version : It was yet another dark and stormy night...

Aero825
02-14-2011, 15:16
Point of view: Barker (Camel)- I was soaked by the time I reached above the rainclouds, and I soon spot another plane flying solo towards the front lines. Suspicious of enemy activity, I move in for a closer look. My suspicions are put to rest as I approach. Actually, I am quite overjoyed at what I encounter. The famed Captain Brown of the 209th squadron was flying, I assume lost, over the British land. We form up and I continue my dusk patrol. At this point I am quite glum and a little bored because even though we were above the rain, the sky is still dark with the coming of night. Then out of nowhere springs a Red triplane and my comrade and I are thrown into action! As the German banks to my left I spot a second Green Triplane along with the other red one. Brown quickly takes action and exchanges short-range shots with the green Fokker. I snap out of observer mode and attemp to shoot at the enemies, but am forced to loop around as they sharpely and suddenly bank towards Brown! [Writer's Note: Man that guy always gets the attention!] He expertly guides his bird around and somehow gets some return fire on the assaulting red Dr.I. Sudddenly the sky lights up as the crimson triplane erupts into flames! Now it's my turn to get in the action; I loop around and in a head-on pass with the green Fokker, and it suddenly spiralls below the clouds and doesn't return. As I glance to the side all I see is the red Dr.I. Where is Brown? A small trail of smoke gives me my answer, and it finally dawns on me that this was no ordinary pilot, this was the infamous Red Baron of Jasta 11! How could I have been so oblivious? My haert races as he somehow outputs his fire and we are plunged into darkness once more. I instinctively turn into my opponent but we were to close to fire on eachother. I jerk the stick into my gut and wrench my Camel in his direction, and miraculously find him right in my crosshairs! A final burst from my furious guns and his plane lights up once more, and falls to the ground below. But, knowing the Baron, he'll probably just crawl from the burning wreckage and jump in a lake to keep his flesh from becoming fried raven chow. Ugh.

Here's a couple of sample pics.

I should also mention that my dad played some of the game with a cat on his lap. Meet Harley the Appalachian Panther Bat (she), AKA Harley, AKA Harley the Happy Lap Kitty. I believe I mentioned her in one of my posts in Did somebody order a furball?

tuladin
02-14-2011, 15:39
Nice write-up. I am lying down with breathing problems (the snow is melting, and the air is wet and heavy), so your photo is right-side-up for me. :):):)

Aero825
02-14-2011, 15:44
Sorry, fixed now!

Goering Ace
02-14-2011, 17:25
OK. First off, I totally outflew those two Camels with my lone remaining Dr.I (which, by the way, only had 3 points left at the time Kemf went down!!). It was two 2 on 1 and I used my 90 degree rights and side-slips to perfection (repeating my own words of advice from the Tactical Walk Through as I planned my maneuvers!! :D), staying out of the enemy gun sights for almost THREE full turns, all the while landing shot after shot on my enemies!! It was possibly the BEST I've ever flown a Dr.I, and I firmly believed I was going to win. I peppered 10 cards of damage into Brown, who somehow kept on flying. But WAIT!! :eek: After my red Dr.I was finally downed I looked at those 10 damage cards and low and behold, he had accumulated 15 points of damage, prior to my last hit (which was a zero)!! :mad: The little bugger was flying a DEAD plane!! :mad: He had miscounted!! Had his plane gone down when it actually took 15 points of damage, I would NOT have continued to chase him for 3 maneuver rounds and fire additional shots!! I would have turned my attention to Barker. So, I may have been shot down, but it was a red flag outcome, and there WILL be a rematch. Barkers final kill is null and void, and the match declared a draw.
Get the planes ready Hunter!! This is FAR from over!!

Dad :)

MayorJim
02-14-2011, 20:13
OK. :mad: The little bugger was flying a DEAD plane!! :mad: He had miscounted!! Dad :)

He was flying a "ghost" plane...they're hard as heck to take out :D The Lt. Col., SWMBO, had invoked the "ghost" plane option, accidentally I'm sure, on me one time...very frustrating trying to take it out when it had a stack of damage cards about a half an inch high!! ...nice AAR...thanks!

Flying Officer Kyte
02-15-2011, 01:30
Not as bad as the other option. Last time I played Stormkahn. I had a stack of cards a mile high all with o on them until his last three bursts. I knew I had him till I drew 4, 5,5, in consecutive bursts from his ailing plane. Well done that man.
Rob.

The Cowman
02-15-2011, 10:06
Nice AAR! I love those slow speed, high maneuverablity matchups! ...and that is a great picture of your Dad with the cat of many names... Keep the pics, AARs, and stories coming... we love them!

(P.S. "I" before "E" except after "C"... I have that problem all the time too... ;) )

Aero825
02-15-2011, 13:52
OK. First off, I totally outflew those two Camels with my lone remaining Dr.I (which, by the way, only had 3 points left at the time Kemf went down!!). It was two 2 on 1 and I used my 90 degree rights and side-slips to perfection (repeating my own words of advice from the Tactical Walk Through as I planned my maneuvers!! :D), staying out of the enemy gun sights for almost THREE full turns, all the while landing shot after shot on my enemies!! It was possibly the BEST I've ever flown a Dr.I, and I firmly believed I was going to win. I peppered 10 cards of damage into Brown, who somehow kept on flying. But WAIT!! :eek: After my red Dr.I was finally downed I looked at those 10 damage cards and low and behold, he had accumulated 15 points of damage, prior to my last hit (which was a zero)!! :mad: The little bugger was flying a DEAD plane!! :mad: He had miscounted!! Had his plane gone down when it actually took 15 points of damage, I would NOT have continued to chase him for 3 maneuver rounds and fire additional shots!! I would have turned my attention to Barker. So, I may have been shot down, but it was a red flag outcome, and there WILL be a rematch. Barkers final kill is null and void, and the match declared a draw.
Get the planes ready Hunter!! This is FAR from over!!

Dad :)

First in my rebuke to his rebuke, is that I had miscounted by ONE point!!! Second, I would have destroyed you even if I hadn't miscounted. All people who've read this, be Ready for "It was yet another dark and stormy night, PART 2"!!!

Aero825
02-15-2011, 13:56
If I win the next mission, that kill is mine. And besides, I wrote up the AAR as if you had shot down brown earlier. So don't be gettin' on my case! Dads. They're so strange.

flash
02-15-2011, 16:26
Well, as the old saying goes Hunter... it's the last one that kills you !
Look forward to the re-match -

Go Scott, get some for the dads :D

Goering Ace
02-16-2011, 16:04
If I win the next mission, that kill is mine. And besides, I wrote up the AAR as if you had shot down brown earlier. So don't be gettin' on my case! Dads. They're so strange.

No way. That final kill is off the board, no matter what happens in the rematch. You miscounted and your plane kept flying for two turns after it took the killing blow. Doesn't matter that you only miscounted by 1. That one point was the difference. As I said before, if you had gone down when I had actually KILLED you, I would have immediately turned to engage Barker, and that changes everything.

One things for sure - In the rematch I'll make you double check the damage every turn!! :)

Goering Ace
02-16-2011, 16:06
Well, as the old saying goes Hunter... it's the last one that kills you !
Look forward to the re-match -

Go Scott, get some for the dads :D

He's going down, Dave! I won't let the Dads down!! :)

Gladius
02-16-2011, 17:03
Go Dads! I love the DR1

Great AAR, by the way.

The Cowman
02-16-2011, 22:20
NO MERCY FOR THE MATH IMPAIRED!!! (Even if it was a temporary lapse in geniusness!) TAKE HIM DOWN!!! lol GO DAD!! :D :D ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-17-2011, 00:09
;) Harsh, but fair.
Rob.

Goering Ace
02-17-2011, 08:05
NO MERCY FOR THE MATH IMPAIRED!!! (Even if it was a temporary lapse in geniusness!) TAKE HIM DOWN!!! lol GO DAD!! :D :D ;)

You know what the funny part is, Ken? Hunter is in 6th grade and is in DOUBLE ACCELERATED math, which means he's studying 8th grade math right now!! He's very good at math! The boy has a 150 IQ yet can't keep track of the damage!! LOL!! :) In all fairness, this is the first time this has happened this way (with affecting the outcome), so I can't get on him too much. The bigger problem is him forgetting to place gun jam tokens when he gets the jam. :)

It's hard enough to beat him without giving extra damage points! :)

The Cowman
02-17-2011, 08:30
You know what the funny part is, Ken? Hunter is in 6th grade and is in DOUBLE ACCELERATED math, which means he's studying 8th grade math right now!! He's very good at math! The boy has a 150 IQ yet can't keep track of the damage!! LOL!! :) In all fairness, this is the first time this has happened this way (with affecting the outcome), so I can't get on him too much. The bigger problem is him forgetting to place gun jam tokens when he gets the jam. :)

It's hard enough to beat him without giving extra damage points! :)

I could tell be the way he writes that he is a genius... and absentmindedness is a common trait of the superintelligent... Sounds like he might be taking college classes at the age of 16... I'll have to be sure to get his autograph if you guys make it down to Origins. That way when I am in my 70s, and he has invented faster than light travel and teleportation, I can say <old man voice> "I met that young fellow once back in the day... he couldn't count to 15, but by golly we knew he was going places... see... here's his autograph!" </old man voice>

Aero825
02-17-2011, 17:41
Where's Hambrger?!?! I could use some kid rienforcements! Not that I need it. YOU'S GOIN' DOWN DADS!!!

Aero825
02-17-2011, 17:47
No way. That final kill is off the board, no matter what happens in the rematch.

Hold on, let me check the kill book. NOPE!!! It's still there!

Goering Ace
02-18-2011, 07:54
Hold on, let me check the kill book. NOPE!!! It's still there!

Thanks for reminding me. Check again!

Flying Officer Kyte
02-18-2011, 12:00
Hey Guys, this is getting more interesting than the actuall sortie.:cool: The suspense is tremendous. Will he, won't he, is worthy of a Soap. Watch out for a parody of this in the next installment of Nigel or Betsey.:D:D:D
Rob.