PDA

View Full Version : Three Sortie Friday

jbmacek
02-12-2011, 04:57
I have some time while I'm waiting for glue to dry, so I'll give a quick recap of last night's game.

Sortie 1 was a dogfight. I wanted to fly a D.VII (I have the deck, but alas, no minis) so I called Central Powers. My wife said "do you have one of those planes like the guys fly in Flyboys?" Thus, she chose Entente. Mike was sitting opposite from me so he went with an S.E.5a, leaving Jim with me, with his Pfalz D.III. Early on, Mike pulled an explosion card, and I pulled one soon after, leaving Lisa and Jim to duke it out. Lisa's machine was getting worse than it was giving, so she scampered off the field.

Sortie 2 was another dogfight. I wanted to try the Bristol Fighter (have the deck, haven't quite yet finished building the mini), so I called Entente. Lisa wanted to keep playing the Nieuport 17. Since I had a two-seater, Jim went with a Rumpler. Mike picked the Baumer Albatros D.Va. Since Lisa's plane was slightly underpowered, we let her use a random ace ability. She drew "Quick Shot." Long story short, my Brisfit picked up two kills!!! One was an explosion card kill, the other was accumulated damage. I've suddenly become a huge Brisfit fan.

We wanted to try something different, so sortie 3 was balloon busting. Lisa wanted to stick with the Nieuport (she was feeling lucky, having survived two encounters thus far) and I took the Nieuport 16. The Central Powers were using the machines suggested in the scenario - Dr.I and D.Va. I made my pass at the balloon, misjudged the turn, and had to come around for a second pass. By that time I have a Dr.I hot on my tail. I was near the corner of the board, so I figured I'd try shaking him by trying to do a left within the small area I had to work with. He tried staying with me, but I was able to line myself up for the shot. However, my wife, had started plugging away at the balloon, and lo and behold, there's an explosion card (the fourth of the evening). Now all we have to do is escape from our end of the board and we win. Easier said than done. The Dr.I had taken me down to 2 hp left, so as I tried to sideslip my way down the sideline, the D.Va was able to finish me off. It was then two against one, and the game ended in a Central Powers victory soon thereafter.

I did manage to squeeze off a halfway decent pic during the game...

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/balloonbusting.jpg

And now, back to coffee and glue!

jbmacek
02-12-2011, 04:59
ps - the Dr.I chasing me isn't the mini. At this point in time Mike removed the mini and used his card because his plane is overlapping the balloon.

Aero825
02-12-2011, 05:50
Nice! Cool pic too!

rockyr
02-12-2011, 06:44
I applaud Lisa for sticking with the beautiful but fragile Nieuport!

The scenario recommends DVa + DrI vs Nieuports? Ouch. D-IIIs I can see..

I am glad to see enjoyable games in MD!

jbmacek
02-12-2011, 09:04
I applaud Lisa for sticking with the beautiful but fragile Nieuport!

The scenario recommends DVa + DrI vs Nieuports? Ouch. D-IIIs I can see..

I am glad to see enjoyable games in MD!

Actually, that particular scenario pits a Nieuport 16 and SPAD XIII against the Dr.I and D.Va, but she wanted to stick with the N.17, so she kept it and the ace special ability. Suffice to say, it wasn't enough. It was fun to see her take out that balloon though. And both of our planes were almost touching its base when it went up!

Ok, back to putting some glue on a Skytrex Nieuport 11!

The Cowman
02-12-2011, 11:37
Sounds like you guys had fun as usual! Can't wait to see your "Bébé"!

Goering Ace
02-12-2011, 15:04
Thanks for the report, John. Sounds like a fun time for all. I also cringed a little when you said it was two Nieuports vs. a Dr.I and a D.Va. Pretty much saw that ending coming, even with the ace ability. :)

jbmacek
02-13-2011, 05:37
Can't wait to see your "Bébé"!

It's coming along quite nicely. Depending on what the family plans are for today, I may be able to finish assembling her.

jbmacek
02-13-2011, 05:40
Pretty much saw that ending coming, even with the ace ability. :)

Yeah, that ace ability was a random draw, and quick shot doesn't help much when the objective becomes run for the border. If there isn't one, there should be an ace ability that allows a pilot to squeeze an extra short stall worth of movement from his machine once every other turn.