PDA

View Full Version : WGF George Edward Henry McElroy SE5a (C8869)

camelbeagle
07-25-2023, 13:01
George McElroy. For the Irish leading ace, I am surprised I am having a hard time finding his most successful machine. The 40th squadron SE5a (C8869).

Does anyone have any advice or info on what squadron and markings this particular plane had? I know it had the slanted N on the fuselage after the British Roundel and flight number. Other than that, I am not sure which flight and number the plane was.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ReducedAirFact
07-25-2023, 14:27
I've only seen a Bob Pearson painting of his S.E.5a B891 from No. 24 Squadron.

malachi
07-25-2023, 15:08
Not much info it seems, Dan. 40th was FE8s then Nieuports then SE5's but markings seemed to change. I can't find any flight or letter info on him. From Rogers book:

camelbeagle
07-25-2023, 17:11
Thanks guys! If I can figure out what letter he had I could make it up like the S or U planes that you have scanned.

I have seen the no 24 squadron profile. I am hoping to do the 40th since that was his most successful machine.

flash
07-26-2023, 08:32
As you know he had most success in his S.E.5a serial C8869 with 40 sqn, Dan. From looking at Norman Franks's SE5-SE5a Aces of WW1 (Osprey 78) he was C flight's leader, it would appear, so his machine would be 'N' if the marking doctrine was followed. I only picked this up from the entry on p.28 relating to Lt Louis Bennet Jr, who was "..assigned to 'McIrish' McElroy's C flight.."
That's a start place at least - just keep scanning pics and see if an image exists of it. I think I have his book somewhere but will have to look for that tomorrow now as it's Wings night. ;)

PS - it also notes in the book that McElroy & Lewis both flew Dallas's cammo Se5a (D3511), though no kills listed for McElroy with this machine, Lewis had his last two credited to him with it.

camelbeagle
07-26-2023, 08:58
Flash, that is a good find.
Yes, assuming usual identification. N with blue wheel covers?

flash
07-27-2023, 02:34
Flash, that is a good find.
Yes, assuming usual identification. N with blue wheel covers?

If the flight leader took the first letter of the flight and that marking convention was in use for the wheel covers, then it's a good shot. At the moment it can't be said it's wrong.!
Seen one artists impression of S-sugar - that had blue wheel covers, though in the book mentioned it's shown with PC10 covers but K has white covers, as in the pictures above. Looking at those pics the S & U could have blue covers when compared to the tail fin tricolour, so, as with all these things, who knows what's correct. Go with your best guess.
Looked into my books but I got it wrong - the book was "McScotch - Fighter Pilot" - Lt. William MacLanachan, who joined 40 Squadron in May 1917, so not much help.

camelbeagle
07-27-2023, 05:50
Great! Thanks Flash! That gives me a good idea on how to proceed.