PDA

View Full Version : Boudwin's SE5 and American aero squadron background?

Danrit
01-31-2011, 13:49
I'm a little ignorant of the American contribution to the air war in 1917-18, forgive me! Can anyone provide any links or recommend any (affordable) books that can enlighten me on locations, planes used, aces, pilots etc?

Coog
01-31-2011, 14:17
An excellent book is Hostile Skies by James Hudson. I found a used hardback copy years ago when it was out of print and it became one of my favorite books. Now it is available again in an affordable soft cover. If you order it online be careful as there are other books by similar names not about the US in WWI.

LGKR
01-31-2011, 16:13
Boudwin an American born in Philadelphia volunteered and joined
the Royal Air Service, later transferring to The United States Air
Service when the US joined the war. Standing just 5’ 4‛ Boudwin
was nicknamed ‚Child Yank‛ by his British squad mates, due to his
small stature. He was known to have tangled with Hermann Göring.
See if you can find Child Yank Over the Rainbow, The Military Exploits of Lt. Joseph E.
Boudwin, is his published daily diary during the war.

McKeever
01-31-2011, 16:45
Though perhaps outside your price range, the best (IMO) book on the US military aviation in WWI is Wings of Honor by James J. Sloan, Jr.

It is the most comprehensive work I have ever found, covering the pursuit, bombing, recon and balloon units as well as naval and marine aviation.

vacca rabite
01-31-2011, 19:44
The Millionairs Unit follows the Yale Flying Club and the start of naval aviation in 1916 through the war, and traces the wartime survivors to WWII and their legacy beyond.

Zach

Diamondback
02-01-2011, 15:59
I've actually been looknig into this--even started an Excel spreadsheet about who had what when and what their "nominal" strength was, starting from the Osprey Battle Orders volume on the AEF, various WWI "Aircraft of the Aces" volumes and the old Aircam volumes on Nieuports and SPADs.

Still looking to refine transition dates and the non-fighter units... (which I know mostly flew Salmson 2A-2s, with a couple squadrons flying DH-4's--frequently the safer "B" model which reversed pilot and fuel-tank positions--and the 96th fully equipped with Breguet 14's and another few squadrons partially so equipped, and yet another with Breguet OB's)

Once I have a chance to wire in and boot the laptop, I'll see about posting it to Google Spreadsheets so those interested can pool resources.

Danrit
02-02-2011, 13:34
Thanks for the info so far, I've managed to find Wings of Honor (the correct one!) and Child Yank fairly cheap, gonna give them a try.

Diamondback
02-03-2011, 17:07
My spreadsheet--what I have of it--is online at Google Docs, access set to "Anyone With Link".

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avt7MLKsRNqhdEh0Q2ZsYkdiMGFvWjdBeGJOTUpSWXc&hl=en&authkey=CJnL44ID#gid=8

As most of my research has been specifically focused on the US Army Air Service supporting the AEF, I'd appreciate it if anyone can help to refine the data--eventually I'd like each cell to include assigned base, assigned aircraft and "nominal strength" of each type--not necessarily an exact complete list of every plane they had, but a quick summary of what "on paper" they were "supposed" to have.

Danrit
02-05-2011, 16:14
That looks really useful Diamondback, thanks

MayorJim
02-05-2011, 19:10
My spreadsheet--what I have of it--is online at Google Docs, access set to "Anyone With Link".

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avt7MLKsRNqhdEh0Q2ZsYkdiMGFvWjdBeGJOTUpSWXc&hl=en&authkey=CJnL44ID#gid=8

As most of my research has been specifically focused on the US Army Air Service supporting the AEF, I'd appreciate it if anyone can help to refine the data--eventually I'd like each cell to include assigned base, assigned aircraft and "nominal strength" of each type--not necessarily an exact complete list of every plane they had, but a quick summary of what "on paper" they were "supposed" to have.

Umm...I'm missing something here...row 1 columns d-t..what are those depicting? 1708, 1803, etc. outside of that, looks like you spent some time here!

Diamondback
02-06-2011, 22:41
Dates--last two digits of the year, then the month. I usually use YYMMDD or YYYYMMDD date-formats in my spreadsheets for ease of sorting. I tried to set up one tab for each country, although it may expand to one for each air-service, so we can all keep say RFC/RNAS/RAF straight.

Any further suggestions for refinement, I'd appreciate--I envision this, while something I started, as hopefully something this entire community can and will help develop into a resource for all of our use.