PDA

View Full Version : New to assembling 1/144 scale skytrex

Jones the dice
01-31-2011, 04:50
Hello this is my first post on this particular part of the forum, so if I ask a dull question please just tell me.

I picked up six Skytrex models for £15 on the weekend at a local bring and buy sale. All still boxed and complete, including decals.

Opening the boxes I was a little overwhelmed by the size of them. So what are the tips and where are the pitfalls for the novice modeller?

Do you replace the wing struts with say copper wire or will the parts included be strong enough to stand up to the rigours of use?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Oberst Hajj
01-31-2011, 04:52
Ian, we have quite a few How To articles on building some of the Skytrex kits. You will find them on the Home page, in the menu box on the left. Might be someone has written one for some of the kits you picked up.

Jones the dice
01-31-2011, 04:56
Thanks Col. I am still finding my way around the site, awesome job by the way.

Warhorse47
01-31-2011, 13:21
Hi Ian, a general suggestion that has worked for me on these types of kits. Build the Upper wing assembly first as it is much easier to attach the struts to the fuselage without fighting with the lower wing in the way. Welcome to the place!

Jones the dice
02-01-2011, 01:08
Thank you Kevin, I will give that a go. I built the first plane last night I went for the Sopwith Pup. Completed it in a couple of hours. I did find it quite fiddly, my big hands are used to 28mm so it was quite a change!

Thanks for the tip try it when I will have another go.

tonyc206
02-01-2011, 05:27
Hi Ian, a general suggestion that has worked for me on these types of kits. Build the Upper wing assembly first as it is much easier to attach the struts to the fuselage without fighting with the lower wing in the way. Welcome to the place!

Really! That's not the way I approach it at all. I always fix the lower wing to the fuselage first and 'true' them up to provide the base for the model. I fit the upperwing by the outer struts first and then put the cockpit struts in last with a pair of very fine tweasers.

Jones the dice
02-02-2011, 07:32
Thanks Tony, that's sort of how I have gone about this first one, except I got rid of the original cockpit struts and replaced these with copper rod. I am quite pleased for my first attempt at something quite so small.

Warhorse47
02-02-2011, 13:17
That's why we all try different ways to build! What works for one may not work for another.

tonyc206
02-02-2011, 14:50
That's why we all try different ways to build! What works for one may not work for another.

Absolutely old boy! I couldn't agree more and we're learning all the time.

vacca rabite
02-02-2011, 16:41
This is how I go about it, and this method has been revised slightly with each model I have built.

1) The kit is trimmed of flash and casting seams and partially built. The TOP wing gets fully built, complete with struts. I find it easier to drill the bores with a 1/16th inch drill bit and use gap filling CA as glue. Struts that poke through the top of the wing get trimmed flush. The bottom wing bored are also drilled, but I DO NOT put them together yet. The fuselage is built (tail plane, rudder, and bottom wing are attached now. Landing gear is also attached. Guns and engine are NOT attached yet.

1a) everything is primed. Small parts not yet built (engine detail, guns, pilot, etc) are PRIMED ON THE SPRUE

1b) if the wings are getting the full decal treatment (like the DVII in my avatar), once primer is dry, the wing decals go on, and are trimmed with a razor.

2) if full wing decals are not being used... When primer is dry, everything gets base coat of paint. Small parts not yet attached are painted on the sprue, clipped off and attached to the fuselage (touch up the cut as needed.)

3) At this point, the plane is in 3 pieces - built top wing is one piece, the pilot is the second piece and the rest of the plane is the third. The pilot is trimmed as needed to fit in the cockpit after painting, and glued in. Detail painting is now done (detail, base shading and highlights) to the 2 main structures not yet attached (top wing and rest of the plane).

4) Now the entire model is painted, I put the top wing on, using tweezers to align the struts as needed.

5) Paint is touched up if needed due to imperfections cause due to the top wing attachment. Final detail painting is done and marking decals are added.

6) 2 coats of matt clear coat are sprayed. the first coat is thin, the second is thicker.

Thats it. This process takes me a ~4 hours per plane, give or take an hour. I don't rush it - its supposed to be fun.

Zach

The Cowman
02-03-2011, 00:34
This is how I go about it, and this method has been revised slightly with each model I have built.

1) The kit is trimmed of flash and casting seams and partially built. The TOP wing gets fully built, complete with struts. I find it easier to drill the bores with a 1/16th inch drill bit and use gap filling CA as glue. Struts that poke through the top of the wing get trimmed flush. The bottom wing bored are also drilled, but I DO NOT put them together yet. The fuselage is built (tail plane, rudder, and bottom wing are attached now. Landing gear is also attached. Guns and engine are NOT attached yet.

1a) everything is primed. Small parts not yet built (engine detail, guns, pilot, etc) are PRIMED ON THE SPRUE

1b) if the wings are getting the full decal treatment (like the DVII in my avatar), once primer is dry, the wing decals go on, and are trimmed with a razor.

2) if full wing decals are not being used... When primer is dry, everything gets base coat of paint. Small parts not yet attached are painted on the sprue, clipped off and attached to the fuselage (touch up the cut as needed.)

3) At this point, the plane is in 3 pieces - built top wing is one piece, the pilot is the second piece and the rest of the plane is the third. The pilot is trimmed as needed to fit in the cockpit after painting, and glued in. Detail painting is now done (detail, base shading and highlights) to the 2 main structures not yet attached (top wing and rest of the plane).

4) Now the entire model is painted, I put the top wing on, using tweezers to align the struts as needed.

5) Paint is touched up if needed due to imperfections cause due to the top wing attachment. Final detail painting is done and marking decals are added.

6) 2 coats of matt clear coat are sprayed. the first coat is thin, the second is thicker.

Thats it. This process takes me a ~4 hours per plane, give or take an hour. I don't rush it - its supposed to be fun.

Zach

Pretty sound advice... I am one of those model builders that always trys to get everything looking perfect... so I do a lot of puttying, filling, sanding, and filing of joints and rough spots... and I am super slow at building... I have to take lots of breaks... I only wish I could build a model in four hours and make it look that good! I have never achieved that perfect look I am going for... but I always try. That's fun for me! ;)

Jones the dice
02-03-2011, 01:51
Thanks guys for all the tips I will look at the next one carefully before starting and try and work out whats goiing to work best. As for the Pup, I am going to prime the model tonight, and hopefully start painting on the weekend. I am going to paint it in RNAS colours, I am really looking forward to getting it on the table, I have had a look on the download sections but can't find a card, any ideas?

Thanks

Ian