PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Flights: Episode 1 - First Encounter

Aero825
01-27-2011, 06:47
Here's the first episode of my new Fantasy Flights series. New episodes will be posted weekly. Enjoy!

First Encounter

Introduction
I was 17 when I arrived at the training field with my father. He had voulenteered to be an engineer, and I had voulenteered to train to be a pilot. We were hoping he'd be assigned to the same aerodrome I did, and we lucked out on that one. Almost immediately I met a young lad named Marcus Fielder, another american pilot voulenteer. He had bee a mechanic before entering the war, and soon began to learn how to repair planes. He then introduced me to 2 other US pilots, Liam Adams and Tom Rutkowski. After finishing flight training, Col. Bennet offered me a chance to lead a Squad with Marcus, Tom, and Liam.

Early July, 1917
"I've heard about those new German triplanes," Marcus says "They're so maneuverable, I would hate to go up against one of them."
"Yeah," I say "You know I've been-" I was cut off by Col. Jared approaching.
"Lt. Collins, I want you to go up in one of our new Sopwith Camels. They just arrived, will you do it?"
"Yes sir!"

After getting ready, I climb into the brand new airplane and set off towards the front lines; waving to my squad, knowing I may never come back.
This wasn't my first time in the air, but it was the first time I was this high up, and this cold. The air was so frigid that I barely notice the bird flying towards my Camel. Wait, that wasn't a bird, it looked more like a tennis ball, or a square box... we draw closer. It was now that I realized what was headed towards me. A brand new Fokker triplane. We pass, waiting for the right moment to strike. The German, probably more experienced than I, performs a slight climb in his turn and brings his plane down on my Sopwith. He levels on my 6, and I try hard to shake him off. He unloads his guns on my Camel, but I somehow avoid serious damage, though some bullets come way to close. I manage to pull up and around, and the German's delicate plane cannot follow. We jockey for position, maneuvering in the skies, firing to no evail. Our dancing planes eventually settle on a head-on pass, my bullets penetrate his engine, and his plane begins to smoke. We circle around, the slower triplane widening his turn into a
rolling-scissors type encounter with my faster Camel. The Fokker rolls inverted , and, overestimating the Fokker's speed, climb straight into a stream of bullets that rip through my tail wing. I level out, and with my rudder jammed, bank around only to find the German's plane pulling out of a Split-S. I see my chance and dive on the enemy fighter, guns alive with the clatter of lead! The German desperately tries to shake me off his tail, but I hold on, despite the crushing G-forces. His agile Fokker nearly out maneuvers my sturdy Camel, and he then performs a tight turn across my nose. I nearly crush the trigger in my hand, and the German sets ablaze. He makes a break for it now, trapped infront of his burning tailpipe. I pull behind him, and with a silent salute and a sqeeze of my fingers, the German falls from the sky; my first kill.
I return to base, land my plane and at the sight of my bullet filled Camel, explain my Dr.I encounter to my beaming squad.

Epilogue
"Oh yes," I say "the Camel performed quite well, responding to my commands without question, sir."
"Exellent," Col. Jared responds "would you or your squad like to fly some of these new craft as your personal plane?"
"Really? You don't actually want to waste these beutiful planes on us, do you?"
"You performed well, you've earned them."
"Well... thank you sir, thank you very much."

"Your kidding!" Marcus exclaims "A Camel? Really?"
"Yup, the Col. offered it; you in?"
"Heck, yeah I'm in! What about you guys?" He turns to Liam and Tom.
"Thanks, but no thanks," Tom says "I'll keep my Sopwith Triplane, She's a nice flyer."
"You sure?" I say.
"Yeah, but how 'bout you Liam?"
"I think I'll stick with the SPAD VII, got that need for speed you know?"
"Okay, I'll go tell the Col."

Episode 2 (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3509-Fantasy-Flights-Episode-2-Interception&p=46652#post46652) <Next (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?3509-Fantasy-Flights-Episode-2-Interception&p=46652#post46652)

Flying Officer Kyte
01-27-2011, 07:19
I see we have another budding Cub reporter on our hands here young "Lt Collins". Any more exploits like that and you will soon be made Captain! Oh! I see you have been gazetted already. Well that was a very full report for your Squadron Commander to read.
If my chaps sent me ones as long as that I'd never get any work done.
Did you find out the name of your first victim?
Rob.

Aero825
01-27-2011, 08:06
Thanks Rob!

The Cowman
01-27-2011, 15:12
Love it! Right there is the perfect type of material to start a regular ongoing Blog with!!! Go for it!

Aero825
01-28-2011, 13:27
Did you find out the name of your first victim?
Rob.

The first German pilot downed by Lt. Collions's identity is unknown to the allies. But just you wait for episode 2, he'll meet someone who- I've said too much. Let the official suspense building begin!

Wolfbiter
01-29-2011, 08:07
Very good writing Hunter! Nice job.