PDA

View Full Version : Once again I am lucky to be alive

STICK
01-20-2011, 07:02
Yesterday was a fine day for flying. The Jasta commander scheduled my wingman and I to fly a sweeping patrol over the front in our new Albatross D Va. It had been days since our last contact. The first hour was uneventful and boredom almost got the better of me. Luckily my wingman was more awake than I was. He suddenly shot in front of me and flopped side to side to signal and pointed to the northwest. At first I thought we had stumbled upon a lone pilot but soon realized it was a pair but they were flying spaced very far apart. We got back into formation and closed distance. Upon getting closer I could see they were Spad XIIIs. One was french and one was italian. Whether they left from the same aerodrome or simply happened upon each other and decided to fly together I know not. I signaled to take the french pilot and we both veered that way. The frechman had obviously more balls than brains as he decided to fly directly at both of us. Simultaneously we all opened fire. He chose to fire at me as I was the lead plane. Imagine my horror as my plane burst into flames. With smoke pouring from the engine and flames licking my eyebrows I did a quick turnabout. I flew wildly back and forth and finally the flames went out. By this time the italian had joined the fray and my wingman was pouring lead into his plane. Through luck alone three times I also found him dead inside my gunsight and each time I released a volley into him. In a moment of stupidity I lost track of the frenchman as I tried once again to get the italian in my sights. Bullets ripping through my wings quickly told me exactly where the frenchman had gone. He was on my tail. Bullets tore through my plane too many times to count. I knew my battered airframe could not take much more so I turned to flee. My wingman stayed with the italian and the fight continued. I flew away for a short time but quickly became embarassed at my moment of cowardice. I decided to join the fight once more. Hoping they had counted me gone I did a quick turnabout. Imagine my horror when upon leveling the plane I saw the frenchman lining me up in his sights. A short volley blew my tail rudder off and sent me into a spinning fall. The world was a blur twirling around me as I fought to make a controlled landing of some kind. I got my plane straightened out enough to get my bearings and aimed for some soft looking trees. Before crashing I saw the italian going down as well. Hours later I awoke inside the wreckage of my plane in an apple orchard. In the fight I took a bullet through my left ear and my ankle wrist and shoulder all seemed to be broken but I will fly again. My wingman was never heard from again but was awarded the kill for the italian. I sincerely hope he survived and will escape captivity and return to claim it.

Stormkahn
01-20-2011, 07:21
Classic, never turn you back on the French old boy!

The Cowman
01-20-2011, 09:39
There are much less costly and less dangerous ways to get one's ear pierced my friend...

Flying Officer Kyte
01-20-2011, 11:06
All I can say is lucky Hun. I will tell you a tale that will chill your very blood as soon as I can get the pictures up. It was a bloody contest fought over Nottingham last evening, and to make it worse I lost my personal Tripehound to the Red Baroni and his crony.:eek:
Kyte.

STICK
01-20-2011, 11:26
True but none are quite so exciting!!!

There are much less costly and less dangerous ways to get one's ear pierced my friend...

David Manley
01-20-2011, 12:58
Reminds me of a tense engagement a good few years back (and please excuse the timeslip into the 1960s as far as the air combat is concerned). Playing Avalon Hill’s “Flight Leader” in umpired mode. Players in separate rooms with only their own aircraft and whatever they’ve detected on the board. Umpire in another room, connected to the players by a randy intercom (this shows how long ago it was!). its a tournament setup, I’m flying an F-5F Tiger II, my opponent is in a Mig-19. We start about 40 miles apart, only knowing that our opponent is somewhere on the board.

After several minutes my RIO spots a small dot a few miles ahead, slightly lower and to starboard. I dive in to the attack. The enemy hasn’t seen me, and I’m pulling into a perfect position for a guns shot (the umpire has forbidden the use of missiles so we have to do it the old fashioned way). As I’m diving in I suddenly realise – he seems to be awfully slow. “How fast is he going?” I ask the umpire. “he’s almost dropping out of the sky” is the answer. Dammit – I’m going to overshoot, and then he’ll reverse and get a burst in as I fly past!
My 20mm rattles as I shhot past him – a hit! But only slight damage, not enough to slow him down or affect his flight handling. I use my speed to pull up into the vertical and loop over above him, avoiding the gun shot, then twist down again. He's low and slow, no option for much in the way of vertical manoeuvring but he's picking up energy fast and we find ourselves in a classic “Rolling Scissors”. Time and time again our planes roll over and under each other. We both know the first one to make an error will pop out ahead of the other, and at close quarters that means incoming fire. Tense does not begin to describe the situation. As I roll out at the top of the fourth loop he hesitates – maybe thinking of changing his tactics. He spits out ahead of my F-5 and the 20mike mikes roar again. This time its no mistake and the Mig comes apart, flaming remnants cascading down to earth. Time for one last barrel roll as a victory salute, but I’m on Bingo fuel so its back to the barn for tea and medals!

We used to have some amazing Flight Leader games at uni. Happy days indeed. I must tell you about my F-20A bouncing the F-15C flight sometime....

Stormkahn
01-20-2011, 14:46
All I can say is lucky Hun. I will tell you a tale that will chill your very blood as soon as I can get the pictures up. It was a bloody contest fought over Nottingham last evening, and to make it worse I lost my personal Tripehound to the Red Baroni and his crony.:eek:
Kyte.

For you ze vaw is over Herr Kyte!

Aero825
01-20-2011, 15:15
Great report! Post more, I can't wait!

Flying Officer Kyte
01-20-2011, 23:43
It's worse than that.He's dead Ken. So the saying goes at any rate. There may be a twist in the tale, or is that tail, yet. Wait until the full story is released later today Dave.;)
Rob.

Goering Ace
01-26-2011, 11:27
Great AAR, Paul!! Very exciting and a well written recount of your adventures. Loved it!! Please, keep them coming! :)

Wolfbiter
01-29-2011, 08:05
Good report! Those Spads are tricky foes...I speak from experience!

CappyTom
02-11-2011, 15:46
Love the report. But next time get your crippled plane home. There's a fine line of being brave and living to fight another day.

MayorJim
02-11-2011, 20:50
Paul, wonderful AAR! Great read and made us feel as if we were there!