PDA

View Full Version : Bomber Nose Art

Pooh
01-19-2011, 14:49
A friend of my brother's father was stationed on Tianian during WW2 and took lots of pictures of bomber nose art. In addition to the artwork, many bombers had much of their war record painted there. Many have Japaneese flags showing enemy shot down, bombs showing number of missions, sinking ships and trains showing tagets destroyed, etc...
Many also seem to show medals won, hearts (presumably purple hearts) being most prominent.
But there are also some symbols that are puzzling. Some bombers sport camels. I'm assuming these are for ferry or supply runs unless the plane has actually flown over the hump. (One planes shows a number of camels)

Another is what appears to be a side silloutte of a very fat or possibly pregnet person.

Any ideas on what these are for?

Pooh

Charlie3
01-19-2011, 15:31
Because the images used were not standardized, your guess is as good as anyones unless you can find someone who was in the unit to explain their reasoning, or a book that sheads some light on the subject. The Camels could represent enemy supply caravans destroyed I suppose.

McKeever
01-19-2011, 16:03
Camels are indeed successful 'over-the-hump' missions in the China/Burma/India theater. The pregnant silhouette could be actual births on board. I remember seeing something like on an aircraft used during the Berlin Airlift, but they were Storks carrying babies. A variation of that perhaps?