View Full Version : Origins 2021

Jager
01-06-2021, 12:33
Announcement coming 12-JAN-21.
Wondering if they will try FtF in June.
Karl

Hedeby
01-06-2021, 12:59
I think June is going to be VERY optimistic given the current numbers coming out of the states, but we live in hope.

Teaticket
01-06-2021, 13:26
Yeah, looks like a pipe dream if they think June is possible. Unless something amazing happens and we all have the vaccine I can't se me attending if they hold it.

Flying Helmut
01-06-2021, 14:27
They might not let me in, vaccine or no vaccine! :eek:

Teaticket
01-06-2021, 16:13
You might not want to come. Not sure I want to be here...

camelbeagle
01-06-2021, 19:14
Peter, if you feel like you have to leave I will gladly hold on to your planes for you.

Teaticket
01-06-2021, 22:10
Peter, if you feel like you have to leave I will gladly hold on to your planes for you.

Thanks. I'm sure I'd find a way to take them with me.:p

flash
01-07-2021, 02:55
They might not let me in, vaccine or no vaccine! :eek:

I'd be more worried about being allowed back in here.. I found a gap but I think they found it and blocked that !
Get to France and hop a dinghy, I'll meet you on the beach :cheezy:

rhodie80
01-07-2021, 04:53
I'm anxious to hear the announcement. I'm a school teacher and we have been told our vaccinations are coming soon. We will see.

camelbeagle
01-07-2021, 05:55
I am interested as well. Finally able to go and COVID has determined that I shouldn't!

Flying Helmut
01-07-2021, 07:15
Got my vaccination appointment today - it's @ 23:00 at a hospital 6 miles away, in the wrong direction from my house (14 mile journey!) :hmm:

Think I'll wait for more appointments next week. :dazed:

Hedeby
01-07-2021, 08:26
Hope you get another one asap, must be high demand and limited spaces. Surprised it’s not scheduled for your own hospital though, seems a little crazy...

Flying Helmut
01-07-2021, 08:37
Oh, it's entirely crazy; it's the NHS, after all!

tikkifriend
01-07-2021, 09:57
I'd be more worried about being allowed back in here.. I found a gap but I think they found it and blocked that !
Get to France and hop a dinghy, I'll meet you on the beach :cheezy:

For several cans of baked beans it could be aranged :D

tikkifriend
01-07-2021, 09:58
Not sure that it will be clear for Prague in April :(

Jager
01-07-2021, 11:49
My personal bet is another run for October, with online gaming in June.
I'm not going to any big venues without both shots of vaccine, and despite being "essential worker" (Grocery industry), I'm sure
my priority is way down the list.
They're still trying to get enough for hospital workers and first responders in Ohio. Teachers next, I guess.
Karl

Marechallannes
01-11-2021, 14:53
Hope the best for the convention in Ohio, but I'm shure that Prague Con 21 will be definitely later in the year.

Not sure that it will be clear for Prague in April :(

That's what I guess, too.

Hedeby
01-12-2021, 11:14
I’m hoping we get something, somewhere this year. Doncaster isn’t until late September, but at the moment that doesn’t look definite by a long way... just keeping fingers crossed.

Teaticket
01-12-2021, 11:54
Origins plans on a convention 30 Sept-3 Oct.

Based on the hopeful news that COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed and reports from the CDC that community events and conventions should be able to resume later this year, we have made the decision to move this year’s Origins Game Fair from our usual June weekend to September 30 – October 3, 2021.

Safety is our primary concern, and we believe holding Origins later in the year provides the best path forward to have an in-person event this year.

We are working with other game convention organizers to develop guidelines for safe events, including, but not limited to:
Requiring Face Masks
Social Distancing
Temperature Checks
Hand Sanitizing Stations
In the interim, we encourage everyone to help fight the pandemic by wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, washing your hands, and getting the vaccine when you are able. Together we can work towards returning back to normal.

We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation and will provide updates as we get closer to the event. Exhibitor and sponsorship information will be available on February 16. If you have any questions, please email registration@gama.org.

----------------------------------------------
Don't see how to social distance around a table of Wings. What does this mean, 2-3 participants?

OldGuy59
01-12-2021, 11:58
I’m hoping we get something, somewhere this year. Doncaster isn’t until late September, but at the moment that doesn’t look definite by a long way... just keeping fingers crossed.

The Prime Minister has promised that any Canadian that wants a vaccine should be able to get it by September. Sooo...

Jager
01-12-2021, 12:13
I'll have to think hard on this one. :hmm:
Karl

camelbeagle
01-12-2021, 12:51
Same, I would love to go. But, need to see how everything is going.

Jager
01-13-2021, 11:28
I also need to check the vacation schedule; there may be conflicts for that week .
Karl

Sam Urai
01-14-2021, 11:34
I have entered those dates in my Calendar... not sure i will be able to attend yet, though.

Besides... i still need to get my own plane for my profile. ;) :D

Jager
01-14-2021, 12:16
Good news: My dates are in from work.
Better News: I'm now on the list at work for the vaccine (grocery workers are something like tier 1b)
Guess I need to get the planes from last year finished :hmm:
Karl

Sam Urai
01-25-2021, 06:41
Just saw a Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/802408846478447/posts/3986163561436277/?sfnsn=mo), looks like they are looking forward to late September...

Flying Officer Kyte
01-25-2021, 07:00
Things are looking up here too, as long as we get the new strain under control. However, what the restrictions on International travel will be is anybody's guess.

Rob.

tikkifriend
01-25-2021, 11:00
Amen to that

Bobsalt
04-02-2021, 20:54
I've got my hotel reservations, but I may be cancelling. I'm not up for wearing a mask for the whole day, and if they're going to require "social distancing" what is that going to mean for our normal usual battles? Are they going to allow 6-8 or even 10 people at a table?

Teaticket
04-03-2021, 07:40
I've got my hotel reservations, but I may be cancelling. I'm not up for wearing a mask for the whole day, and if they're going to require "social distancing" what is that going to mean for our normal usual battles? Are they going to allow 6-8 or even 10 people at a table?

Sorry Bob, but as someone running games if they require masks I'm all for it. It's not just about me. I don't want to catch anything while I'm helping entertain X amount of people, but I also don't want to pass on anything to these same people.

I will have hand sanitizer at my game tables from now on. People will use it or not play in my games. It's funny that at Fall In of '19, (my last con before Covid) I had a cold and used hand sanitizer while running my games. It hit me on the drive home that I should be using it for players. I have gotten sick many times from running games at conventions from others. I've gotten colds and the flu, not worth it especially now with the stakes a bit steeper.

Hopefully by then everyone will have taken the vaccine and cases will be a trickle.

OldGuy59
04-03-2021, 08:26
Sorry Bob, but as someone running games if they require masks I'm all for it. It's not just about me. I don't want to catch anything while I'm helping entertain X amount of people, but I also don't want to pass on anything to these same people.

I will have hand sanitizer at my game tables from now on. People will use it or not play in my games. It's funny that at Fall In of '19, (my last con before Covid) I had a cold and used hand sanitizer while running my games. It hit me on the drive home that I should be using it for players. I have gotten sick many times from running games at conventions from others. I've gotten colds and the flue, not worth it especially now with the stakes a bit steeper.

Hopefully by then everyone will have taken the vaccine and cases will be a trickle.

One of the things I was running into hosting games at conventions before 2020 was bringing home colds or flus. My Better Half, an ex-nurse, started making me carry a bottle of hand sanitizer to every demo game I hosted. From 2013 to 2018, I had, at least, one disease per con season that was pretty much related to a con. 2019? Not a one. Hand sanitizer between games, occasionally through the day, and especially before eating food with the hands (most of the food available at cons was eaten by touching the food with the hands).

So, COVID-19 or not, I will still be using hand sanitizer in the future. With COVID-19, and any variants or new viruses, I most definitely want to be using hand sanitizer.

David Manley
04-03-2021, 08:37
One of the things I was running into hosting games at conventions before 2020 was bringing home colds or flus........

That never happens at UK events, like Doncaster for example :D

malachi
04-03-2021, 08:39
Gaming Convention Player: "I'm all-in."
covid-19: "I call. How much you got?"

The odds are low but the stakes are high. Not really what anybody wants to hear when having fun enjoying a game, but hopefully things will continue to improve. :sick:

Bobsalt
04-03-2021, 10:48

I will have hand sanitizer at my game tables from now on. People will use it or not play in my games. It's funny that at Fall In of '19, (my last con before Covid) I had a cold and used hand sanitizer while running my games. It hit me on the drive home that I should be using it for players. I have gotten sick many times from running games at conventions from others. I've gotten colds and the flu, not worth it especially now with the stakes a bit steeper.

Hand sanitizer is never a bad idea. But the danger of COVIDD has been vastly overstated.

My wife is an MD, and works doing vaccine research for the university here. She's also a total germaphobe. Rather than go into details that might turn this into a political thread and spark discord, I'll just say that with those facts firmly in mind, neither of us has had any concern about this virus since late last March.

malachi
04-03-2021, 11:04
That's good for you, Bob. Others of us have not been so lucky. Lost a good friend and coworker in November.

Teaticket
04-03-2021, 11:23
Over half a million US deaths I don't think can be called overstated. It's easy to say it's no big deal if you haven't been touched by it. I think it is a big deal. I don't want to be part of spreading it or have any chance (that I have some control of lessening) of getting it. Just my view.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-03-2021, 12:27
Thanks chaps, lets call it on the discussion and keep to the title of the thread please.

Rob.

Bobsalt
04-03-2021, 12:34
Thanks chaps, lets call it on the discussion and keep to the title of the thread please.

Rob.

Acknowledged.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-03-2021, 14:22
Thanks Bob.
Rob.

Teaticket
04-03-2021, 15:25

Rob.

:salute: You got it Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-04-2021, 12:24
Cheers Pete.

Rob.

Teaticket
08-29-2021, 10:37
The Origins game schedule is up. It can be found 'HERE' (https://www.originsgamefair.com/events). Those of us associated with ARES will be running 16 Wings games, 1 T&T and 1 Sails. I found one more Wings game is being put on by the Western Ohio Games Club.

tikkifriend
08-29-2021, 11:08
The Origins game schedule is up. It can be found 'HERE' (https://www.originsgamefair.com/events). Those of us associated with ARES will be running 16 Wings games, 1 T&T and 1 Sails. I found one more Wings game is being put on by the Western Ohio Games Club.

Tim the wind and sails are calling you :D put aside those wonderful planes and go over to the Dark sails of SOG
:lol:

tikkifriend
08-29-2021, 11:11
But its Sept 12 , clashes with Donnie:erk::erk:

Teaticket
08-29-2021, 11:16
Origins is Sept 30 - Oct 3. A bit close but not overlapping with Doncaster. Tim I think will be hopefully coming over next year.

Stumptonian
08-29-2021, 12:08
Origins is Sept 30 - Oct 3. A bit close but not overlapping with Doncaster. Tim I think will be hopefully coming over next year.

If Tim is coming next year I think I will definitely make a trek to Origins.
:thumbsup:

milcoll73
08-31-2021, 00:04

yep, im running a scenario using my beautiful clipper created zeppelin. heres a link to pics of my 1st test run.
https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=4705

malachi
09-03-2021, 21:38
So Origins 2021 is definitely happening?

Marechallannes
09-04-2021, 02:12
Keith took care of the LL raffle repaints, I think.

Would like to see Tim at Origins (one day). ;)

Flying Helmut
09-04-2021, 11:41
Tim I think will be hopefully coming over next year.

I hope so!

The UK <-> USA travel ban is still in place, so 2021 is right out.
But hopefully, normality (or something like it) will have been restored by June 2022.

Jager
09-05-2021, 08:09

As of now, yes. Lets hope Delta and Mu don't change that :hmm:
Karl

milcoll73
09-05-2021, 19:32

my personal guesstimate is 85% yes / 15% no

Jager
09-28-2021, 16:38
OK, doing the final packing for Origins. AS usual, I'm spending the last days til making game aids that I had a year (2 years in this case) to make,
though in some cases, 2 years to lose! :hmm:
Hoping everyone enjoys what I bring to the table.
Karl

Flying Helmut
09-28-2021, 17:05
Hope you have a blast, Karl!

I look forward to seeing pictures of your efforts.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-29-2021, 02:23
Yes indeed.
Have a good one Karl.
I look forward to seeing the reports from the show. It's been far too long. We are starved of action at the shows.
Rob.

camel crew
09-29-2021, 03:07
ave a good 'un Karl.

Jager
09-29-2021, 05:52
Camera is packed (ang charged!). Now I just need time to take pictures.
Karl

milcoll73
09-29-2021, 07:54
well, it was a near run thing but i definitely will be going. my mom had another heart attack saturday night. as of today shes doing well, has been taking off intubation and now being moved out of CICU.

milcoll73
09-29-2021, 07:55
if anyone is interested i will have a couple minis available for sale or trade:
https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=4715