PDA

View Full Version : "Lame Duck" - 'Vapnartak' Show @ York, 02-02-2020

Flying Helmut
02-03-2020, 14:12
A mining ship, detached from the Rag-Tag Colonial Fleet to investigate a Tylium reading on a nearby moon, suffers a system-wide power failure and is stranded, alone.

"Galactica" sends a pair of Vipers to investigate, and prepares a Raptor with a boarding party of engineers to try to repair her.

Shortly after the Vipers arrive, three Cylon Raiders jump into the system in an effort to destroy the 'Lame Duck'.

Complete rules in use, except no Talents, Flaws or Pilot Cards are used.
Participation game, with most of the players being first-time punters.

The two Vipers respond to the approach of the three Cylon Raiders.

Raider 'C' (yours truly) tries to flank the defenders to the right, while two punters attack head-on.

Moving at KE6, I rotate to face the punter Viper attempting to intercept me, while Neil (Skafloc) in the other Viper attempts to intercept an asteroid!

Neil's Viper engages a Raider

Having somehow squeaked past the asteroid (!) Neil and his opponent pass each other, while I drift to the Right @ KE6, while my antagonist drifts in the opposite direction.............

Neil is caught square (and heavily damaged) by his Raider, but then manages to avoid further hits by jinking his Viper to the maximum!

While Neil is dogfighting with his second Raider, the first breaks through and streaks towards the mining ship.
To the right, I have outmanoeuvred my opposing Viper and have a clear run to the Lame Duck, but I decide to turn back and engage the punter in his Viper, to give him a better game experience (BAD MISTAKE!!!!!!).

When my opponent struggles to turn to face my attack, he overcompensates and hits an asteroid!
........but neither entity takes any damage!

I fire on him, to add to his woes........

....but he draws another '0' ! :eek:

Next card, he fires on me, and I draw a '6+' engine hit, followed by ANOTHER '6+' engine hit!
My opponent draws yet another '0' :mad:

In my final exchange, I take a '5' :eek: while my opponent takes a '1' - his first damage!!!!

.....and this Toaster is 'toast'!

When one of the Cylon players has to leave, I take over his Raider and join a young chap against his father and Neil.
The two Raiders form up to attack the mining ship, to admiring comments about "Cylon efficiency"..........

.......proven to be nonsense, as I vector in on the mining ship, while my wingman turns about to engage the onrushing Vipers.
I fire upon, and hit, the Lame Duck.

Neil's crippled Viper fires at me, but misses.

My Raider pounds the mining ship mercilessly.

Now stationary, I rotate 180 degrees and blast Neil's Viper at point blank range....and he explodes!....the other Viper is forced to turn away to avoid colliding with the Tylium moon.

Having moved forward to engage the last Viper, I now pass him by, and rotate around to engage from behind.

He fires on his son's Raider, which clips the stationary mining ship, delivering a '12' damage point collision chit!

Finally. the two Riders catch the damaged Viper in a murderous crossfire!

With both Vipers destroyed, and the Raptor nowhere to be seen, the fate of the mining vessel is sealed.
Cylon Victory!

Hedeby
02-04-2020, 03:17
Wow that is some AAR well done

Hedeby
02-04-2020, 03:17
Love the way the laser pointer shows up on the star field mat.

Flying Officer Kyte
02-04-2020, 05:16
The whole set up looks pretty astounding Tim.
Thanks for letting us get a glimpse of the future.
Rob.

Flying Helmut
02-04-2020, 05:26
Love the way the laser pointer shows up on the star field mat.

It's a real bonus!

A little more practice required, bringing the laser pointer closer to the table to shorten the "range", then holding the thing steady while someone else takes the photo!

Flying Helmut
02-04-2020, 05:28
...................Thanks for letting us get a glimpse of the future.
Rob.

"One possible future.....from your point of view; I don't know Tech stuff......."
Oh, hang on, that's "Terminator", not BSG! ;)

Von Scharf
02-04-2020, 20:08
Is the laser pointer a standard BSG thing or did you just think that up? It’s very impressive. If that was everyone’s first time... they are all spoiled now!

Flying Helmut
02-05-2020, 03:42
Is the laser pointer a standard BSG thing or did you just think that up? It’s very impressive. If that was everyone’s first time... they are all spoiled now!

I have used it a couple of times with <<cough, cough 'X-wing' cough, cough>> but have never photographed it before now..............

Rest assured it has now become an essential part of my BSG travelling set-up!

Marechallannes
02-05-2020, 07:14
Nice AAR & setup Tim. :sAprvd:

Teaticket
02-05-2020, 08:16
Great looking game Tim. Beginners luck was prevalent early on but your perseverance won the day.

Stumptonian
02-05-2020, 20:54
Great looking AAR, Tim.
REP inbound
:sAprvd:

But it's "NO BSG!" for me ...
;)

Flying Helmut
02-06-2020, 04:38
Nice AAR & setup Tim. :sAprvd:

Glad you liked it, Sven - thanks for the REP!

Flying Helmut
02-06-2020, 04:44
Glad you liked it, Sven - thanks for the REP!

Great looking game Tim. Beginners luck was prevalent early on but your perseverance won the day.

Thanks, Peter, and double thanks for the REP!
I felt deeply persecuted at first - I spent a heap on petrol, and on a hotel room, I set up the game (spending HOURS unwrapping all the decks and minis beforehand), I taught everyone how to play, I outmanoeuvred my opponent : then I chose to give him a better game experience, and Fate kicked me up the bum! Damage 6-6-5 to his 0-0-0-1!!!!!!:mad:
I guess that's to compensate for there being no 'Gun Jam' cards to get hit with!;)

Anyway, it evened out in the end...……….

Flying Helmut
02-06-2020, 04:45
Great looking AAR, Tim.
REP inbound
:sAprvd:

But it's "NO BSG!" for me ...
;)

Thanks for the REP, Pete!

I approve of your "NO BSG" stance - everyone should have a "NO--------" ;)

Teaticket
02-06-2020, 06:56
Don't get me wrong here Tim, I really like your moon!:eek: What is it and where did you get it? (or how'd you make it?)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-06-2020, 07:16
The Asteroids look pretty astounding too Tim.
How are they made?

Rob.

Flying Helmut
02-06-2020, 12:10
Don't get me wrong here Tim, I really like your moon!:eek: What is it and where did you get it? (or how'd you make it?)

The Moon is Neil's! (but soon to be mine!:) I ordered one the moment I got back from 'Vapnartak', and it is in my local Parcel Office awaiting pick-up tomorrow morning!:D)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071NM2DZB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery-powered Electronic with remote-control (:eek:)
Goes through 12 "phases" of the moon!
Intended to be wall-hung, and left on as a child's night light........................

The only negative reviews refer to it eating up batteries, but that shouldn't be an issue on table!

(There is a cheaper model, in a blue box, but it has poor reliability reviews, so I went for the pricier one).

Flying Officer Kyte
02-06-2020, 12:52
Superb Tim.
It really adds a lot to the look of the scenario.
Rob.

Flying Helmut
02-06-2020, 14:05
The Asteroids look pretty astounding too Tim.
How are they made?

Rob.

The secret ingredient is...............................a BATH SPONGE!!!!!

The best feature of such a sponge is the honeycomb of different-sized holes, ready made and randomly placed in the structure.

If the sponge is TORN using fingertips, it produces irregular, jagged edges.
Cutting it is a bad idea, because cutting, with a knife or scissors, produces far too many straight edges and lines; the exposed end pictured above was pulled apart by me using nothing but my fingers.

My sponge is a bit grubby, because it was the one my father used to use to wash the family car!
When he bought a new sponge, rather than let him throw it out, I rescued it and turned it into asteroids! Well, it was 35 years ago, I was young.............I wanted them for "Full Thrust" space gaming.

The 3/5 of the sponge I used created all these asteroids -

I still have 2/5 left!

The Method:
Glue each chunk of sponge to the top of a 'Games Workshop' flying base (I used "UHU", a glue with an elastic flexibility when dry).

Spray each asteroid matt black (ensure you rotate the asteroid so that the spray gets deep into every nook and cranny). Allow to dry.

Heavy drybrush 'Games Workshop' "Shadow Grey". Allow to dry.

Medium drybrush "Ghost Grey" (don't remember the company - it was 35 years ago!!!). Allow to dry.

Very light drybrush "White".

Job done!

Bonus Feature! - they can be used as packing around models, since the painted sponge is still, well, spongy!

I have used them for "X-wing" games for the last couple of years, but didn't need many, owing to that game's small 3' x 3' 'battlefield'.

As soon as "Battlestar Galactica" came out, I dug out the remaining Asteroid Ingredients, with the intention of producing more.

I had intended to try tearing up some of my left-over "KR Multicase" blue foam inserts, removed from my "Wings of Glory" and "X-wing" transport systems.........

The only drawback with these is the extremely small and very regular-sized holes (and the small size of the foam pieces).

Having written this post, I think I will abandon that idea, and get another bath sponge instead! ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
02-06-2020, 14:38
Thanks for the very full and well remembered saga of the sponge Asteroids. Mrs K guessed what they were right off, but your confirmation and very explicit expose is worth the 35 year wait.
Great stuff Tim.
Rob.

Teaticket
02-06-2020, 18:24
Great info Tim. I'm definitely going to get me a moon of my own.=, and a car sponge too!

Flying Helmut
02-09-2020, 05:24
MOON WARNING!!!!

When I opened my Moon last night, I discovered that the shape of the casing has changed from Neil's version!

The function is the same, the diameter is the same, but my "new" model has sides which no longer reach down to the tabletop :eek:

This model has a pronounced "undercut" when placed on the table............

Advantage: models can now approach so close that their bases pass beneath the edge of the Moon, while the peg does not come into contact with the edge. :)

Disadvantage: the Moon model looks strange (at least to my eyes), with the edges "floating" 2 inches above the tabletop surface. :hmm:

Personally, I would prefer the sides to drop vertically down to the playing surface.
I'm going to purchase one of the older Moon models, and will report back.

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-09-2020, 07:34
Bought the moon at Smyths about Octoberish last year.

matt56
02-10-2020, 05:26
What a lovely game with splendid pictures, Tim!:sAprvd: Looks visually stunning and like a lot of fun to play:) Lots of great ideas here, indeed...

All the best,
Matt

Naharaht
02-10-2020, 19:06
Thank you for the great A.A.R., Tim! :thumbsup: The moon and asteroids look very effective on the battlemat.

Flying Helmut
02-11-2020, 06:30
Thanks Matt and David!

When I get a moment (or six!) I intend to dig out all my "Full Thrust" set-up, to see whether there are any other useful bits and bobs I can incorporate.

Naharaht
02-11-2020, 12:36
Thinking about this thread I remembered that I have this

The central model is made of metal. I am sure you can recognize what it is supposed to be. It is a tin containing Top Trump cards. It has a flat base so it can rest on a table. I need to think how to use it in a scenario. It could be an object needing to be scanned or a target to be destroyed.

Von Scharf
02-11-2020, 12:41
OK. That's it. I've seen it all now.

David has a freakin' Death Star!

hahaha

Flying Helmut
02-12-2020, 00:24
"That's no moon! That's a Space Station!"
;)

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-12-2020, 03:06
Cylon spy satellite.

Target acquired............

Lt. S.Kafloc
02-12-2020, 12:22
My plot is full now. Scar and a 5th Viper just arrived. In time for tomorrow night's shenanigans.

Neil