PDA

View Full Version : Der Rote Baron (2008) movie, DVD ?

C Stewart
10-04-2009, 15:30
I've been trying to find out if the German movie below ever made it to DVD, does anyone have any idea? region code is not an issue. It apparently had a tiny cinematic release last year, but have never found any hint that it made it to DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365675/

Gauntlet
10-04-2009, 16:13
Hi Caroline,

This is what you're after. Due for release today (5th). I ordered mine a couple of days ago from Play.com.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/10673898/Red-Baron/Product.html

WilliamBarkerVC
10-04-2009, 17:18
Hi Caroline,

This is what you're after. Due for release today (5th). I ordered mine a couple of days ago from Play.com.

OK, is this available now in North American format? A friend of mine has it from, um, "teh webz", but I haven't seen it yet, and would pay almost any amount of money to buy this DVD - and even more to get it on Blue Ray.

Seriously.

SERIOUSLY...

C Stewart
10-05-2009, 00:30
Hi Caroline,

yes, yes it is... dear *insert deity of choice* , how's that for synchonicity!!!

Bixby
10-05-2009, 01:41
Damn you people, you keep helping me spend my money. :)

PS. Thanks for posting this.

C Stewart
10-05-2009, 01:47
Damn you people, you keep helping me spend my money. :)

PS. Thanks for posting this.

hehe... you're welcome :)

Oberst Hajj
10-05-2009, 08:48
I watched this months ago. It's a good movie about the Baron, but it's not really heavy on planes or dogfights.

Belis4rius
10-05-2009, 10:53
C'mon guys, it is utter make believe, about the only thing it has in common with the real Baron is his name.

There are a couple of fantastic, beautiful dogfights but apart from that it is pie in the sky. It never ceases to amaze me how film makers can take such wonderful material and make a pigs ear of it.

WilliamBarkerVC
10-05-2009, 12:06
C'mon guys, it is utter make believe, about the only thing it has in common with the real Baron is his name.

There are a couple of fantastic, beautiful dogfights but apart from that it is pie in the sky. It never ceases to amaze me how film makers can take such wonderful material and make a pigs ear of it.

Seen Flyboys? That's rubbish. But I still own it... :D:o:cool:

LGKR
10-05-2009, 12:31
The story is pure romantic drival, however the few scenes of air combat are great.

aarondpjames
10-06-2009, 02:44
I saw an advert on telly last night from the film. Apparently as off the 5th Oct 09, Morrisons suppermarket is selling it. Dont know if its in English or German (with subtitles), but I'm going along tonight to hopefully get it anyway.

afilter
10-06-2009, 06:31
I was asking at our local video store(large chain) a few weeks ago and they had no clue even after searching their company wide data base. I went home and looked it up. Despite the awesome webpage aparently it bombed in theaters. Was not even available for downlaod on itunes. I would still like to see it. This gives me hope that it might be out yet. :)

Baron
10-06-2009, 13:35
I saw that movie right after it was released. It had a good story to tell, unfortunately it did not do a good job.... telling it. Too much romance, too much Pearl Harbor if you know what I mean. Is not that we need an action-only film, but what they did was...a ... I wont comment further.

sniperscout
10-06-2009, 14:28
The version I have seen the trailers for is in English. I assume that Morrisons will have the English version. Amazon are also showing this on their site

WilliamBarkerVC
10-06-2009, 16:25
I saw that movie right after it was released. It had a good story to tell, unfortunately it did not do a good job.... telling it. Too much romance, too much Pearl Harbor if you know what I mean. Is not that we need an action-only film, but what they did was...a ... I wont comment further.

Well, there you have it - and from the RedBaron, himself! :eek:

I would expect all that stuff in the movie, to be honest, if only I could get the movie, in North American Region...
:)

Oberst Hajj
10-06-2009, 18:49
The movie is in English. And as all movies go, it was written and made as a movie to sell tickets. If you want history, watch the History Channel of read a book! The same holds true for movies from the comic books.

Is this movie historically accurate? No.
Is there a lot of romance? Yes.
Is it fun to watch? Yes.

aarondpjames
10-07-2009, 00:15
I did manage to get it from Morrisons last £10.99, so a good start. Not a bad movie, but it did miss out of some of the important stuff that happened, you dont really know "Who is Who" in the story and was constiantly revolving around his "Friendship" with the nurse. :confused:

Good flying seens and great close ups of the planes (for the spotters amoungst us) but if you know your history, you'll be a bit disopointed. :(

C Stewart
10-07-2009, 01:21
I just hope it will be a bit of fun and the test reel of the aero sequences that the SFX company released a couple of years ago looked rather good....

But then , I did rewatch "Flyboys" again last night, or specifically I FFW'd through to watch the aero bits...History takes a kicking, but it's fun to watch...

And as the Col. said, if you want the history, read the books, then groan along with the rest of us watching the film :)

bsmith13
10-07-2009, 08:15
So, not available in the US yet? Or is it?

Baron
10-07-2009, 12:02
The movie is in English. And as all movies go, it was written and made as a movie to sell tickets. If you want history, watch the History Channel of read a book! The same holds true for movies from the comic books.

Is this movie historically accurate? No.
Is there a lot of romance? Yes.
Is it fun to watch? Yes.

You are only partially right. I have seen good war movies, that try, at least, to have some kind of reality touch. Look for Das Boot for example... and there are others. Speaking of Das Boot, no romance and bull... there, but one of the top 5 war movies if I recall. So, make a good movie, people will watch it, it doesn't have to be a love drama or whatever...

Oberst Hajj
10-07-2009, 19:57
Not sure you can really compare movies made nearly 30 years ago with today's releases. Movies are much more about gross profits these days then they were back then. Most men over the age of 21 will not go to a movie alone, or even with a bunch of guys (certain titles excluded of course). They all go with the girlfriend or wife. That requires the film makers to add in story lines for the female viewer.

LGKR
10-08-2009, 12:50
I can handle a little romance mixed in as long as it's a well written story or actually helps the plot line move along, like Braveheart. Der Rote Baron couldn't make up it's mind about what type of movie it was, a romance or a war movie.

WilliamBarkerVC
10-08-2009, 17:34
Das Boot is an awesome movie. My all-time favourite, which coincidentally has zero love story, is A Bridge Too Far - is there a finer war movie? I don't think so.

bsmith13
10-09-2009, 08:18
This has sort of turned into a "What makes a good war movie" thread. I don't mind at all.

I agree with WilliamBarkerVC about "Das Boot" and "A Bridge Too Far" being brilliant movies. I think "Band of Brothers" belongs to the same group.

However, just because a movie might have "romantic drivel", whether it's fiction or not, isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me. I quite liked "Flyboys". From what I've read of "Der Rote Baron", the story is so fictional as to be laughable, but I still want to see it.

For me, I guess a lot of how I feel about the movie is how it presents itself. Historical fiction (like Flyboys or Piece of Cake) is okay with me as long as the movie makers get the background historical aspect correct. I enjoy dramatized history a little more, but I tend to be more unforgiving if they mess up the historical details.

Belis4rius
10-09-2009, 11:35
I put historical/war movies into three camps.

The first is more or less historically correct and I can live with the odd mistake or button out of place i.e. Gettysburg, Waterloo Das Boot, The War Lord etc.

The second is where it is a good movie/script, despite the inaccuracies: Glory, The Horse Soldiers, Tobruk, Flyboys, Attack etc.

The third is usually complete tosh, and something which in it's own right should be good but turns out to be nonsense, these kind of movies are not complete dodo's but may often have some component which at least deserves one viewing for the battles scenes if nothing else: Braveheart, Alexander, The Red Baron, Battle of the Bulge.

Gauntlet
10-09-2009, 15:58
My copy of 'The Red Baron' arrived in the post today so I'll be getting the beers and popcorn in this weekend and hoping that the film is better than the spelling on the box. The English Sunday Mirror newspaper is quoted as saying that it's 'Teriffic'!!!

hardrada
10-10-2009, 12:44
Further outlets carrying the film are HMV and Sainsburys in the U.K.
Sainsbury's is the cheapest at £9.99 - which I found AFTER I bought a
copy in HMV today!

Oh dash it all............

Gauntlet
10-10-2009, 17:05
This movie was so bad I nearly choked on my popcorn when I nodded off. What a stinker. Nice planes but with no regard to historical accuracy. 'Flyboys' and 'Aces High' were more enjoyable and I think even the poor 1971 film 'Von Richthofen and Brown' was better (although it's years since I've seen it). Perhaps unfortunately for me I compare all WW1 air war movies to 'The Blue Max' and, to date, nothing has come close.

I've just found this link to footage from 'Von Richtofen and Brown'. Pretty good flying sequences if you ignore the fact that Roy Brown is shown flying an SE5a instead of a Camel. Nice landing by The Dead Baron though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxWHdFAW2jI

Smokeme
10-16-2009, 04:58
Not a bad sequence. The exploding planes were fun :eek:

Yes The Red Baron is lacking in accuracy, and has a love interest, but the dogfight scenes were well done and can provide plenty of inspiration for your WoW games :)

Cujo8-1
10-16-2009, 14:14
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I want to. More importantly to me, as a collector of war movie soundtracks and film scores, was the music inspiring and is it available via CD?

Thanks!

Oberst Hajj
10-16-2009, 22:52
You can listen to the score here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImfB8llkM4).

Cujo8-1
10-17-2009, 17:24
Thanks. The tracks I listened to are fantastic. I hope I can get the soundtrack for this one!

C Stewart
10-30-2009, 08:05
Just to say, I enjoyed the film, it was a simple silly actiony flick, set against the backdrop of air war and young pilots with good visual effects....

it wasn't a history lesson :)

Oberst Hajj
10-30-2009, 08:25
Someone get her a Vodka Martini !

C Stewart
10-30-2009, 08:31
Someone get her a Vodka Martini !

Ok, I like you, you can stay :D;)

Oberst Hajj
10-30-2009, 08:50
lol, that's good, the site might go way other wise!

C Stewart
10-30-2009, 09:01
lol, that's good, the site might go way other wise!

dammit.. I knew I should have put tags on it!! :p

Oberst Hajj
10-30-2009, 18:12
LOL

Evzone
10-31-2009, 04:17
I thought is was good fun. Ok not historically accurate but entertaining; when I need a wind in the hair, goggles-on, hun in the sun fix then this film does the trick. Just fast forward to the good bits, such as the attack on the HP bombers.

The Blue Baron
11-06-2009, 06:51
I watched the film yesterday and fell asleep two times... The (very little) flight scenes are realy great but the rest isn't very exciting.
As for beeing historicaly correct: it is not THAT bad. The details may not be right but the main stations in his life (shooting down Hawker, Pour Le Merite, Jasta 11, his brother joining Jasta 11, thought to be shot down by Brown, buried with full military honours) are presented.
But one thing really enraged me: they renamed Göring and called my Döring so nobody could get negativ associations...

LGKR
11-06-2009, 07:25
I watched the film yesterday and fell asleep two times... The (very little) flight scenes are realy great but the rest isn't very exciting.
As for beeing historicaly correct: it is not THAT bad. The details may not be right but the main stations in his life (shooting down Hawker, Pour Le Merite, Jasta 11, his brother joining Jasta 11, thought to be shot down by Brown, buried with full military honours) are presented.
But one thing really enraged me: they renamed Göring and called my Döring so nobody could get negativ associations...

Right on the money. how about the whole Hawker thing, one of the longest hardest fought dogfights of his career and they don't even show the fight.:mad:

The Blue Baron
11-06-2009, 07:27
They also do not show how he is shot down or how he ist burried...

You could make movies of all the things they do not show...

bsmith13
11-06-2009, 07:49
That's too bad. I wonder why they made the movie, if not to show MvR's career?

The Blue Baron
11-09-2009, 04:26
Suppose that it is meant as an anti-war movie. There also is the character of a nurse he falls in love with who shows him the horror of war...

LGKR
11-09-2009, 06:07
Suppose that it is meant as an anti-war movie. There also is the character of a nurse he falls in love with who shows him the horror of war...

It amazes me when film makers portray soldiers as being these gung ho war mongers who have to be shown the horrors of war, as if they haven't witnessed them first hand. Most people who have fought for thier country know first hand the true costs of war.

The Blue Baron
11-09-2009, 06:27
The idea of the film is that he sees air combat as a kind of sport that has little to do with war...

But yess you're right.

LGKR
11-09-2009, 06:49
The idea of the film is that he sees air combat as a kind of sport that has little to do with war...

But yess you're right.

I think that's the problem with most "historical" films. They try to retool it to fit thier agenda. Rarely is real life written in black and white.

Granted many of the pilots of WWI were far removed from the horrors of the trenches, but they were losing thier friends almost on a daily bases. In addition The Baron started out in the calvary, so he did have some real ground combat experiance. I think the real story of The Baron and Jasta 11 is an extremly interesting one with out having to drive home the horrors of war theme or by adding a romance.

I think the hollywood types misread women when it come to movies. My wife loves chick flicks as much as the next women, but she loved Band of Brothers as much as I did.

The Blue Baron
11-09-2009, 06:58
Agreed on every point.

There is a new documentary about von Richthofen that sounds promising but it is only German ans obviously without subtitles:

Der Rote Baron - Die wahre Geschichte des Manfred von Richthofen (http://www.amazon.de/Rote-Baron-Geschichte-Manfred-Richthofen/dp/B001FU2VKQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257778537&sr=8-5)

Edit:
I just saw that they announced an English version:
english Version (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Red-Baron-2DVD-DVD/dp/B002PIB0R2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257778743&sr=8-4)

LGKR
11-09-2009, 07:03
Agreed on every point.

There is a new documentary about von Richthofen that sounds promising but it is only German ans obviously without subtitles:

Der Rote Baron - Die wahre Geschichte des Manfred von Richthofen (http://www.amazon.de/Rote-Baron-Geschichte-Manfred-Richthofen/dp/B001FU2VKQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257778537&sr=8-5)

Edit:
I just saw that they announced an English version:
english Version (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Red-Baron-2DVD-DVD/dp/B002PIB0R2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257778743&sr=8-4)

Awesome I'll have to check that out.

Hueg
11-18-2009, 02:48
I was both annoyed at, saddened by and happy with this movie, which was an odd feeling to be left with after a film.

As you've all mentioned, it was an MvR Story, just one from a parallel universe and I was really annoyed by their portrayal of Hawker (even if I overlook the fact they had him zooming around in an SE5a). Plus I disliked their treatment of LvR as some arrogant sulky kid, however, I thought that Schweighofer, Schweiger et al were excellent and the costume and 'feel' (if I may be permitted to get away with such a subjective word) of the movie was first class, not to mention the beautiful music.

Overall: I own it and I'm glad I bought it, but it was not what I had hoped it would be when I put it into the dvd player and pressed start.

There is a new documentary about von Richthofen that sounds promising but it is only German ans obviously without subtitles

Good find, I think Amazon.de will be getting another order soon. :) Thanks.