PDA

View Full Version : Star Fleet Battle Manual

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 06:05
Taking a cue from the Steampunk thread, I've started thinking about how easy it would be to graft WoW rules onto the old Lou Zocchi Star Fleet Battle Manual rules.

The best part is the firing arcs for each weapon are already drawn on the original ship plotting sheets.

Naharaht
01-09-2011, 07:49
Interesting idea.

Gaz67
01-09-2011, 08:57
SFB!! now there was a mighty Tome of rules....

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 09:12
No no no... not SFB. But yes, you are right that SFB has a mighty tome of rules. In fact, it's a veritable tomb of rules!
I was actually thinking Star Fleet Battle Manual, which pre-dates SFB.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3667/star-fleet-battle-manual

The game itself is quite fun, but I bet it could be improved mixing it with WoW.

wargamer
01-09-2011, 11:12
Oh, please don't. Take a nice and simple to use game and convert it into a cumbersome and much more time consuming one (using the lou zocchi game), or a rules lawyers wetdream (SFB).

Charlie3
01-09-2011, 11:54
Taking a cue from the Steampunk thread, I've started thinking about how easy it would be to graft WoW rules onto the old Lou Zocchi Star Fleet Battle Manual rules.

The best part is the firing arcs for each weapon are already drawn on the original ship plotting sheets. Not sure how you would incorporate the range of movement distances to the card system without having a huge stack of maneuver cards for each ship, but having the simultanious movement and firing would be great! I never did buy SFB but I do have Lou's rules here somewhere...they might be tucked into the file cabinet in the Way Back Machine. Let us know what you come up with.

csadn
01-09-2011, 14:41

The best part is the firing arcs for each weapon are already drawn on the original ship plotting sheets.

You're referring to the "mini-and-string" version, right? Not sure how you'd accommodate the variable movement rates possible due to power allocation -- how many MP equals one card? Combat, at least, is similar to _WoW_'s "range center-to-center" rules; would you use a card deck for damage, or the Zocchi rules?

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 15:40
Yes, exactly, the mini-and-string game!
Honestly, I haven't given it much real, dedicated thought. It was more of a "this game is so much fun, I bet we could do a damn fine Star Trek starship game using it" kinda thing, better than SFB or Fed Commander, that's for sure.

Skullduggery
01-09-2011, 23:04
Hmmm... interesting concept. What about give each ship a number of chits/markers to signify energy per turn each maneuver card costing said energy and weapons also costing energy. different weapons would corespond to A or B decks. and no seeking weapons. Keep it simple and fast.

FerretDave
01-11-2011, 06:19
Ah SFB, long gone are the days when I had enough free time to play that...

Use the 'energy plot' to signify a distance, and use that as the distance along the arrow on the manoeuvre card (continuing in the curve/direction of the arrow past the edge of the card if you are going fast).

Or energy plot calculates the number of movement cards you can use each round (simplify down to generally just one or two).

Seeking weapons would still work...