PDA

View Full Version : Second Game, Some Pics

jbmacek
01-08-2011, 05:09
We played our second game last night. From 7pm-ish to 11pm-ish we were able to play five dogfights. The first was an Ufag C.I and Pflaz D.III versus a Breguet and a Snipe. My observer got knocked out on the first trade of shots. And I exploded in mid-air in the second exchange of fire, even though we thought we had removed all those from the deck. Ha! I had fun just the same!

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/mission01.JPG

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/mission02.JPG

The second was a DH2 and a... SPAD... versus the Pflaz and a Dr.I. My DH2 was bested rather quickly. But I still love that plane.

For the third and fourth dogfights we swapped sides. Jim flew the Fokker triplane and I flew the Siemens-Schuckert D.IV (even though I don't have a mini for it). I probably did some of my best flying in this one, but died yet again when it became a two-on-one after my wingman crashed following an illegal move.

My favorite pic from this dogfight, a before and after scene of combat at close range.

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/before01.JPG

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/after01.JPG

The fourth engagement was, I believe, a duplicate of the third. The only change was that we finally won a game! Yeah!

For the fifth and final battle we swapped sides again. I wanted to use one of my new minis, so I went with the Snipe. Jim took an S.E.5a. Our opponents were the triplane and an Albatros. This one seemed to be going in our favor, but in the excitement of tailing the Albatros, I switched my cards so as to score a hit, only to realize I did a bone-headed move by swapping cards so that I did back-to-back steeps. Drat!

But you know, even though I've gotten shot down or crashed 8 of 9 times, I'm having a ball, and I can't wait to play again!

Flammenkopf
01-08-2011, 06:40
Good times indeed! Thanks again for providing the venue. We really should try some missions next time, though just the straight out dogfight is a lot of fun.

PS. Being on the winning team 8 out of 9 times makes it even more fun. :p

jbmacek
01-08-2011, 07:35
Can't wait for the next time. We really should play on MLK day.
Your tally is rather more complex than that. The first four games you flew two planes. If memory serves, your side lost one of those, even though I crashed and burned during our win. Also, you lost a couple planes during those four missions. How many, I don't recall exactly. Either way, looking forward to it again.

(And I'm actually playing it right now! I'm doing a solitaire "Stop Them!" scenario using the SPAD, Snipe and Nieuport versus two Zeppelin-Staaken.)

The Cowman
01-08-2011, 10:01
Seems like Maryland is the place to be if you are looking for some WoW action... I am starting to get jealous! Great pics... glad you guys are having a good go of it! :D

rockyr
01-08-2011, 10:43
OK, lots of plane models among Marylanders, then. As soon as my decals arrive for my DVa I will try to organize a get together at Games and Stuff.

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 04:11
I currently have six planes, with a seventh on the way. I think I'm going to have to buy another German to even it out at four planes for each side. And if I could find Brumowski's plane, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Then lets see... Flammenkopf has the four planes from the deluxe set, plus a two-seater. And then Zach has four planes from the deluxe set, plus at least an S.E.5a if memory serves, and two bombers on the way from Skytrex. So yeah, I think we've jumped on the plane-buying bandwagon!

Goering Ace
01-09-2011, 12:15
Hmmmm . . . a Sinpe and SE5a vs. a Dr.I and an Albatros? That's a major mismatch. Next time try the Snipe and SE5a vs. two Fokker D.VII's or maybe a D.Vii and a Pfalz D.III.

Still, great report and loved the pictures. Keep 'em coming!!

vacca rabite
01-09-2011, 14:05
I also have a Rumpler two seater and an RE-8 two seater. And I am seriously thinking of scratch building a zeppelin... I think it would be dead easy to do - the hull is a simple shape, and then you just need fins, engines (also cut from foam) and the cabins. Actually looking around now online to see if I can find good 3 way views.

I have been trying to find Fokker DVII but have struck out every time - even at Amazon.

Zach

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 15:45
Hmmmm . . . a Sinpe and SE5a vs. a Dr.I and an Albatros? That's a major mismatch. Next time try the Snipe and SE5a vs. two Fokker D.VII's or maybe a D.Vii and a Pfalz D.III.

Still, great report and loved the pictures. Keep 'em coming!!

Thanks. We're going to play again soon, possibly on the upcoming federal holiday. I'll make sure I have the camera juiced up.

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 15:50
I also have a Rumpler two seater and an RE-8 two seater. And I am seriously thinking of scratch building a zeppelin... I think it would be dead easy to do - the hull is a simple shape, and then you just need fins, engines (also cut from foam) and the cabins. Actually looking around now online to see if I can find good 3 way views.

I have been trying to find Fokker DVII but have struck out every time - even at Amazon.

Zach

Yeah, some of those planes are really hard to find. I'm now kicking myself for not buying into this game when I first saw those planes. There were boatloads of them a year or so ago. Now, slim pickings.

A Zepp would be awesome! I wonder how easy it would be to build one using a framing technique, covering it with cloth, and then painting it? We did something similar in my flight science class in high school for wing cross-sections. It was fairly easy. Then again, we were given the plans. For a project like this finding appropriate plans might be the tough part. Then again again, it is the great age of the internet.

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 17:00
As mentioned above, I played the "Stop Them!" scenario the other day. I was able to win! Hooray!

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/stop them.jpg

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 17:02
...and sorting through planes and cards, trying to make sense of it all...

http://www.piratebrethren.com/gaming/planesandcards.jpg

Attila57
01-10-2011, 07:59
Nice reports and pictures! Well done.

Attilio

jbmacek
01-11-2011, 05:09
Thanks! It looks like our next game is going to be a two-on-two. The game after that, however, is looking like a five-on-five!!!