PDA

View Full Version : tactical advice realization .. or "duh..."

rockyr
12-31-2010, 08:14
I recently pondered why some WW1 pilots/instructors/writers prized aerial acrobatics and fancy flying, while others condemned it as useless and distracting.

Reviewing the list of advisors and advice, I see that those that predominantly flew planes mostly notable for their speed discounted maneuver, while those that flew very handy aircraft promoted all the stunts.

But, of course! Contradiction explained.

Still, all agreed on a few things:

1,2,3,get close, from above and behind, preferably with the sun at your back
4 shoot the pilot not just the plane

phililphall
12-31-2010, 11:12
In Bishop's memoirs he makes the statement that he is impressed by his squadron leader who can do loops and fly inverted. I recall reading some 45 years ago that the loop was not taught as a combat maneuver since it slowed you going up and made you a pretty good target for the guy chasing you since you give him a nice shot at your plane from the"top" of it.

gully_raker
01-01-2011, 23:56
G'day rockya!
Mate in the RFC training in the early days they taught the pilots NOT to do stunts, loops etc & certainly not stalls because they were going to fly BE Aircraft that were extremely stable. Hence when the novice pilots got into a stall they usually crashed because they had no knowledge of how to get out of one!

Eventually sanity prevailed & when some experienced Pilots arrived on rotation from the front as Instructors then the novice Pilots were taught "stunts" etc.

Finally the Brass recognised the need for Pilots to go to Active Duty with as much knowledge as possable so Fighting Tactics & Dogfight practice was taught at advanced Training Schools.