PDA

View Full Version : X-Wing using BSG SB rule set

BronzeSparrow
01-30-2019, 05:25
From a thread in FaceBook I got the idea of keeping X-Wing ships and just converting those ships to the BSG SB Rules.
We would need a Maneuver deck for each ship though, but that can be made using a drawing program and saving as a PDF. I would use a square deck of course (instead of hexagonal).
The only other thing would be to determine how much health each ship has and it’s Acceleration and what each named pilot’s talents/flaws would be, but the talents/flaws can be done some time later. Oh and shields would need to be worked out (BSG SB doesn’t have them).
Anyone else interested in converting, or am I just spinning my wheels?

OldGuy59
01-30-2019, 08:28
From a thread in FaceBook I got the idea of keeping X-Wing ships and just converting those ships to the BSG SB Rules.
We would need a Maneuver deck for each ship though, but that can be made using a drawing program and saving as a PDF. I would use a square deck of course (instead of hexagonal).
The only other thing would be to determine how much health each ship has and it’s Acceleration and what each named pilot’s talents/flaws would be, but the talents/flaws can be done some time later. Oh and shields would need to be worked out (BSG SB doesn’t have them).
Anyone else interested in converting, or am I just spinning my wheels?
Wow. Your level of enthusiasm for this game is amazing.

Not necessarily a bad thought. This is exactly where X-Wing came from, as an off-shoot of Wings of War, back in the day. If you take the X-Wing ships, and overlay BSG on it, it would be like bringing the space version full circle. Very ironic.

With only two ships with which to use as a base, you will be hard pressed to come up with a formula for conversions.

Sad to say, but you may have to wait until the Heavy Raider and Raptor come out (this summer/fall?).

Ken at Sunrise
01-30-2019, 11:05
[...] Sad to say, but you may have to wait until the Heavy Raider and Raptor come out (this summer/fall?).

I bought the Starter set and pre-ordered 2 more Vipers and Raiders. But even as much as I like BSG without the Heavy Raider and Raptor (even with) how much replay-ability is there? It may come down to, is there a book of missions to choose from. Only being able to play the same two ships will hurt the game unless that can came out a some very different and very engaging scenarios. These scenarios really need to be official and promoted by the publisher to reach a wider audience. Wouldn't you think?

OldGuy59
05-12-2019, 12:14
I bought the Starter set and pre-ordered 2 more Vipers and Raiders. But even as much as I like BSG without the Heavy Raider and Raptor (even with) how much replay-ability is there? It may come down to, is there a book of missions to choose from. Only being able to play the same two ships will hurt the game unless that can came out a some very different and very engaging scenarios. These scenarios really need to be official and promoted by the publisher to reach a wider audience. Wouldn't you think?

Scenarios in X-Wing? Get together with a buddy, and a list of ships and upgrades, and start rolling dice. Not much replay value in it, IMHO. Making ship lists, and trying out different combinations of "winning upgrades" may have been a draw? Why was X-Wing so popular? Don't know, personally.

BSG won't be in the same realm, I hope. But, as more ships come out, more mission options will come out, and more fun. August/September?

Check this play-test AAR: BSG Play Test - Raptor and Heavy Raider, 11 May 2019 (https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?31156-BSG-Play-Test-Raptor-and-Heavy-Raider-11-May-2019&p=502484&viewfull=1#post502484)