PDA

View Full Version : Observer wounded rule question

evilsam
09-29-2009, 18:49
We're planning on starting to play dive bomber missions and something on pg 16 of Fire From the Sky didn't make sense to me.

It says if a two seater gets the pilot wounded damage chit, to pull an "A" to see who got hit. If pilot, play as normal, if gunner keep secret. Ok, how can you keep the gunner getting hit secret? If your opponent sees you go for the "A" after getting the damage chit and then do nothing, by default he knows it was the gunner/observer.

How is that a secret?

Also, pg 15 under Two-Seater mentions pulling a jamming damage card. I don't play the WWI game but I'm assuming that's a typo that got carried over.

-J

nachinus
09-30-2009, 03:48
Yes, it's definitely impossible to keep it secret. I just ignore it and go public because in RL you don't notice that the gunner is dead until after some time you notice there are no tracers going out from his gun. :) It's a pity but i don't see any way to keep it secret.

And the second issue must be a typo, indeed.

Tallyho
10-23-2009, 19:31
One way to keep it secret is to pick a public, fair, somewhat random method of picking who gets hit. Here's my idea:

If a two- seater is hit and takes pilot wounded damage make note of what time it happened. If the hit occurred hh:01 to hh:15 then the pilot was struck. If the hit occurred hh:16 to hh:30 then the gunner was struck. Every 15 minutes you alternate between the pilot and gunner being hit.

So if a plane is hit at 20:07, that would indicate a pilot hit. Taking a hit at 20:22 would be the gunner.

Why every 15 minutes and not something sooner? It's easy to remember. I figure a 15 minute interval will give a fairly decent chance of switching up damage between the pilot and gunner, it's decently random, players can agree upon it, and it can be checked without giving away the fact the pilot/gunner was hit.

evilsam
10-25-2009, 16:59
Sounds a little complicated for this game Tim. One of the things I like about WOW is that it is simple. I would rather let folks know who got his than have to keep looking at a watch for the time.