PDA

View Full Version : Bombing Rules Clarification for Fighters

Woof
12-24-2018, 05:33
Reading the bombing rules in the WGS rulebook included in the BOB starter set it appears the rules for fighters are subtly different than I understood from previous rulesets (WOW Fire from the sky). The BoB rulebook explicitly states that the standard level bombing rules are for multi-engine bombers. Any "different type of airplane (except a dive bomber)" may "use the same rules, but can only drop a bomb if it is at altitude 1 or 2, and only just after a stall, dive or the straight of an overdive is executed".

This means a more protracted straight run at the target is required than the standard level bombing rules. I can understand the thought here that the traditional level bombing rules are for aircraft with bombsights and low AoB/rate of turn and these rules represent a fighter pilot lining up on his target.

However some clarity is required:

- I am assuming the "just after a stall/dive/overdive" requirement fits with the actual release of the bombs and that, per the level bombing rules the bombing must be declared before executing that particular manoeuvre.

- As the dive and overdive result in high speed, this means there is no way for a fighter to execute a "low speed" bombing attack (i.e. the bombs can only travel "stall" or "high-speed straight" distance once dropped). Due to the shorter distance and number of cards involved it may actually be easier to judge a "stall" bombing run than a dive/overdive attack which seems a little counter-intuitive given diving attacks would generally achieve higher accuracy?

This is my current interpretation of the rules in pictoral form.

Does this match with your interpretation of the rules? Am I wildly incorrect?

OldGuy59
12-24-2018, 09:46
Hmmm... I just bomb the way the rules in Dawn of War provide, or by multi-engine bombing rules. Being that I don't fly with altitude rules, it makes it pretty simple. Fighters can't fly fast with bombs, so any straight is at slow speed, or the pilot can use a stall. High speed isn't an option, and overdives haven't cropped up.

But, that's just me.

I like the graphic interpretation, thought. Awesome display of the different approaches (minus the slow speed one, of course).

monse
05-12-2019, 17:14
Very great schemes.