PDA

View Full Version : Me.262 Qualification Document

OldGuy59
11-29-2018, 11:16
The stuff that walks through the door of a museum...

Like this document, that showed up Tuesday.

This is a cloth-bound folder, with a plain back. About 3.5" wide by 4" high, and almost looks too good to be authentic. Way too many stamps, including some embossed ones, so perhaps too much work to fake.

It appears to be a qualification for flying Me.262 HG II planes (High Speed II for the 35 degree swept wing version).

The pilot appear to be "Klaus Fritz Zanger". Under the photo of the right page, is the individual's signature, and although the "K" and the "F" are fairly legible, the rest of the name eludes my ability to decipher. It appears to start with "Za" but after that, I can't tell.

ID Numbers: L 1064 P88906

Date of the document: 8 February 1945

From the portrait, he wears the Knights Cross and at least an Oak Leaf cluster. He also has an Operational Flying Clasp and pendant. The pendant, as far as I can find, had numbers indicating 100, 200 and 400 missions. My photo isn't detailed enough to read the number.

There are stamps for 1./JG27, although I suspect he may have been a member of that squadron when he went on conversion training, not because JG 27 was flying the Me.262.

Another stamp is for: "Der Reichsminister der Luftfahrt und Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe - Nr. 375"

I can't find any Luftwaffe Officer online with that name, nor can I find any recipient of the Knight's Cross with the first names of Klaus Fritz, nor a last name of Langer, nor Zanger.

Words for which I have attempted translations:
hochgeschwindigkeit = high speed
heimatschutze = homeland protection

Anyone got anything on this pilot? It would be nice to see this document, if authentic, put into a display in an appropriate museum or with the family. As part of the Organization of Military Museums of Canada, this document will probably end up in Ottawa at the National War Museum, or the National Aviation Museum.

clipper1801
11-29-2018, 11:44
Way cool indeed! Someone will know . . . My daughter is a Museum Curator, strange things indeed show up. Let us know!

Stumptonian
11-29-2018, 22:23
Mike - I think the surname is Zangen

OldGuy59
11-29-2018, 23:17
Mike - I think the surname is Zangen

Could be. But, still can't find anything on any spelling with "Za".

One of the places I've tried: The Luftwaffe, 1933-45 Site - Officer Career Summaries S-Z (http://www.ww2.dk/LwOffz%20S-Z%202018.pdf)

Also tried this site, and associated pages: Wikipedia.org - List of Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross Recipients (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Knight%27s_Cross_of_the_Iron_Cross_recipients)

On both those sites, I've tried various spellings of the last name, but also tried to find any listing of a medal for "Klaus Fritz" (and various spellings) with no results.

clipper1801
11-29-2018, 23:38
Calling Super Zoe, she will find the facts!

flash
11-30-2018, 07:40
Had a rummage but came up blank on the name too - then I went looking at the passbook, searching on luftwaffe hochgeschwindigkeit I found this site:
http://allreaders.net/fakenaziidsonebay/morenazipassbooks.html
http://allreaders.net/images/335_20180315_005339.jpg

Seems there's a business of repro/fake passbooks - The picture looks real though - I wonder who the real pilot is ?
Wow, just found one with a picture of Hajo Hermann on it purporting to be someone else.

fast.git
11-30-2018, 08:19
Nice find and catch, Dave. I was wondering about its authenticity, but didn't have the first idea how to check.

OldGuy59
11-30-2018, 08:23
Rep, Dave! :salute: :medal:

It looked too good to be true, and it was. Darn.

zenlizard
11-30-2018, 08:49
Mike & Dave, you both deserve rep for the spot & the follow up. Inbound.

Naharaht
11-30-2018, 09:16
The condition does look too good for it to be a 73 year old document.

BwanaJoe
11-30-2018, 15:05
That is a lot of work for a fake. Those real books must go for a lot of money.

OldGuy59
11-30-2018, 20:15
That is a lot of work for a fake. Those real books must go for a lot of money.

After a bunch more browsing, looking for 'real' documents to which I might compare the fake, I have discovered there were never any documents like this. All the ones now appearing are fabrications. Also, any of the examples are too elaborate for real military documents, but contain many errors and mistakes (if anyone knows German or unit histories). The only thing that comes close to the above document is a Pilot's Log Book, but they are not as intricate as this fake (no where near the amount of stamps and embelishments, despite that log books have many more pages.

It doesn't hurt that I've done up fake Dienststampel for Wings of Glory posters.

I made this (clean Adobe Illustrator proof):

To put on things like this (roughed up to look like an ink stamp): OldGuy59's Recruiting Posters Album - WGS Stukas Over England (https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=3481&attachmentid=175148)

milcoll73
11-30-2018, 20:47
i thought it looked too good to be true. i wanted it to be genuine. the wear on it looks scary convincing.
"so perhaps too much work to fake." sadly, in this day an age, no amount of work seems too much for fakers. especially where 3R memorabilia is concerned. fakers literally bury fake objects to so as for it to acquire a convincing patina. often the "busier" (ie complicated, or excessive markings) an item is, the bigger indication of possible fakeness.
you have to remember, "legit" 3R items were only produced for 12 or so years. theyve been faking 3R stuff for 74-75 years/