PDA

View Full Version : Avenger Maneuver Deck?

THECCRICH
10-18-2018, 06:37
Thank you for your help,

I know the drome has likely covered this before; but what maneuver deck would be assigned to the Grumman TBF Avenger?

Is a thread out there discussing the topic already?

I think I want to put together 5 Shapeways Avengers in the Lost Squadron Flight 19 scheme.

Thank you for your ideas,
Chris

Jager
10-18-2018, 09:42
Deck K* (no reversals), 21 hits, climb 5
ceiling is 5 for the TBF-1 and 1C, 8 for the TBF-3.
Forward guns is either A/A for early models, or B/A for later ones.
Ventral gun is A/A rear arc, low only.
The dorsal turret had some discussion: Note that all tail blind spot rules are in effect:
Dorsal turret: 3:00 to 9:00, low(long range only) to high
2:00 to 10:00, level to high
360 high ; A/A;

Yes, there is overlap, but this was the best way to describe it.
Karl

THECCRICH
10-18-2018, 10:08
Deck K* (no reversals), 21 hits, climb 5
ceiling is 5 for the TBF-1 and 1C, 8 for the TBF-3.
Forward guns is either A/A for early models, or B/A for later ones.
Ventral gun is A/A rear arc, low only.
The dorsal turret had some discussion: Note that all tail blind spot rules are in effect:
Dorsal turret: 3:00 to 9:00, low(long range only) to high
2:00 to 10:00, level to high
360 high ; A/A;

Yes, there is overlap, but this was the best way to describe it.
Karl

Well... That settles that...
Thank you Karl :)

Chris

Teaticket
10-18-2018, 14:35
Not to knock the Shapeways designers but if you don't already have them, AIM has a very nice Avenger.

Jager
10-18-2018, 15:39
Not to knock the Shapeways designers but if you don't already have them, AIM has a very nice Avenger.

Probably cheaper too.
Karl

Teaticket
10-18-2018, 16:41
Probably cheaper too.
Karl

Definitely.

THECCRICH
10-18-2018, 21:56
That is good information. I'll check them out.

Thank you,
Chris

OldGuy59
10-19-2018, 01:20
Possible Avenger card?

[Edit: Single-gunned turret now indicated, and ventral range adjusted.]

We could put yellow areas on the Dorsal arc to indicate deflection (below altitude), just like the dark area at the back for the blind spot?

Jager
10-19-2018, 02:24
Mike;
Would it be too confusing to put an inner yellow curve just inside (maybe touching) the dorsal arc to show the lower shot arc? Also, is there a color code for "long range only"?
I stipulated this since the turret is limited to -30 degrees on the beam shots, per the manual that Foz posted in the UAC Stats forum:

Also: is it my eyes, or does this turret have twin guns? It should be a single gun, offset to the right.
Sorry, a little nitpicking first thing in the morning. A very nice card, as usual, Mike.

Karl

THECCRICH
10-19-2018, 08:08
I love details... :)

OldGuy59
10-19-2018, 09:11
Mike;
Would it be too confusing to put an inner yellow curve just inside (maybe touching) the dorsal arc to show the lower shot arc? Also, is there a color code for "long range only"?
I stipulated this since the turret is limited to -30 degrees on the beam shots, per the manual that Foz posted in the UAC Stats forum:

Also: is it my eyes, or does this turret have twin guns? It should be a single gun, offset to the right.
Sorry, a little nitpicking first thing in the morning. A very nice card, as usual, Mike.

Karl
Karl,
Drawing above fixed. Interesting that there are drawings of this plane with a twin-gunned turret, but I can't find any version of TBM or TBF that had a twin-gunned turret in the version record.

I'm not an altitude guy. The lower altitude thing on the dorsal turret is a problem, as I understand the rules. If the standard rules for altitude are that planes above fire at planes below using short range as a long range hit, then the dorsal turret firing at targets below at long range only is not allowed. Therefore, no firing arcs are required. Just my two cents. This is a game mechanic thing, not real life.

So, there wouldn't be any need for special color coding. Also, I am not aware of any "long range only" weapons in Wings of Glory. There are "range not a factor" weapons (AA cannons, explosive round cannons?), but that isn't the same thing.

Thoughts?

PS: I've adjusted the Avenger ventral firing arc damage to reflect the published He.111 ventral arcs, showing only short range.

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-19-2018, 09:52
Looking at the diagram firing arc 2 is 360 degrees its just the bit missing from the card should only by at high not level or low.

OldGuy59
10-19-2018, 09:59
Looking at the diagram firing arc 2 is 360 degrees its just the bit missing from the card should only by at high not level or low.

Neil,
I might have it wrong, but the level arc is the #2 red shield and arc, the higher arc is the #2 red outlined shield with white center, indicating 360 degrees. It is shown this way on a few official planes.

Hmm... Might need to modify my card a bit.

Jager
10-19-2018, 11:03
Karl,
I'm not an altitude guy. The lower altitude thing on the dorsal turret is a problem, as I understand the rules. If the standard rules for altitude are that planes above fire at planes below using short range as a long range hit, then the dorsal turret firing at targets below at long range only is not allowed. Therefore, no firing arcs are required. Just my two cents. This is a game mechanic thing, not real life.

Duh! Obviously my brain wasn't thinking on this one. :smack:
OK, no lower shooting with the Dorsal gun.

Karl

Rabbit 3
10-28-2018, 02:32
If I`m interpreting the commitee`s notes correctly then the fire arcs look like this.257082

OldGuy59
10-28-2018, 10:57
If I`m interpreting the commitee`s notes correctly then the fire arcs look like this.257082

Robert,
That would be what I see in the WGS Unoffical Aircraft Gunnery Arcs V1.0 document, as well.

I'm proposing updating the arc with a new arc as per Ares published cards. Karl's [Jager] image in Post #9 suggests that even my proposal is too limited, but would fit with the current game mechanics.

Dowters
02-01-2022, 02:28
Is there an Avenger card available to download?

Teaticket
02-01-2022, 08:08
Is there an Avenger card available to download?

The one in post #15 looks good.