PDA

View Full Version : To bite or not to bite?

peterh58
09-29-2017, 08:34
I'm thinking about buying a P51 and an FW-190D. My local game shop says they cannot obtain either from the distributor at the moment. I can find both of them sold by UK Amazon for £12 each. Amazon lists them both as "Only 1 left in stock". From your experience, how seriously should I take this? Are these expansions about to become completely unobtainable? I'm trying to throttle back my pace of new purchases, but maybe I should just bite while I can?

Marechallannes
09-29-2017, 09:12
Sounds like a good price.

They won't get cheaper.

zenlizard
09-29-2017, 10:29
I think the thing is to compare that price vs what your FLGS would sell them to you when and if they are back in stock. And of course,f actor in shipping vs availability-will in fact it be years or only a couple of weeks before the distributor gets them back?

Never Miss
09-29-2017, 11:23
Amazon will show the store with the lowest price, so even though that seller only has one left other sellers may have more, but at a higher price. That said, stock of these planes does seem to be just about gone so I wouldn't wait to grab them. If you can scrounge up two of each that would be even better, dogfights with wingmen are a lot more interesting than one on one. I definitely wouldn't count on Ares ever making more of these.

Flying Helmut
09-29-2017, 11:38
I'd get them now, if you think you might want them later on and they're not there then.

I picked up a couple of each as part of some job lots, never intending to purchase them individually myself, and I have found myself actually using them at events! (or loaning them out to make up the numbers in other peoples' games).

You can always pass them on if you find you don't get much use out of them.

Dan-Sam
09-29-2017, 13:18
Go for it. This is a good price, nobody gives I better.

flash
09-29-2017, 23:14
See it, buy it Peter, experience tells that you will kick yourself later if you don't !

milcoll73
09-29-2017, 23:42
id get them post haste. they seem to be more or less just out of stock.

tikkifriend
10-01-2017, 03:53
Try looking at some of the European stores. With the £ low you can get a good deal sometimes

Setarius
10-08-2017, 14:46
If you haven't grabbed them by now, someone else probably has at that price.
If you have the cash available and find a plane, at a good price, that is rare or hard to find you really need to latch onto it or else someone will and you will be kicking yourself later for not getting it.

tikkifriend
10-09-2017, 08:44
As Tim ( Flying Helmut) would , and has possibly already said

Buy Buy Buy :) :minis:

Flying Helmut
10-09-2017, 11:08
As Tim ( Flying Helmut) would , and has possibly already said

Buy Buy Buy :) :minis:

Nah - doesn't sound like me at all.....................................

NO SAILS!!!!!, now, THAT sounds like me!

peterh58
10-10-2017, 07:22
Thanks for the advice everyone! I did indeed pick up the P51 and the FW-190D, and feeling happy that I did. I've been playing Star Wars X-Wing for the last couple of years, and the supply situation is completely differennt there. Fantasy Flight rarely let an upgrade go out of print for more than a month or two, so I'm still adjusting to Ares being a much smaller outfit and less willing to keep churning out the models regardless.

Nightbomber
10-10-2017, 09:07
Thanks for the advice everyone! I did indeed pick up the P51 and the FW-190D, and feeling happy that I did. I've been playing Star Wars X-Wing for the last couple of years, and the supply situation is completely differennt there. Fantasy Flight rarely let an upgrade go out of print for more than a month or two, so I'm still adjusting to Ares being a much smaller outfit and less willing to keep churning out the models regardless.

Maneuver decks and plane cards are the problem when the official minis get scarce. The minis themselevs you can always outsource from different producers of which AIM is the best IMHO.
But of course grab the official minis for they may get unobtainable sooner than you think and you will have to wait years, yes years until ARES reprint them.

flash
10-10-2017, 12:04

You know it makes sense Peter :)