PDA

View Full Version : Minis Or Cards?

kaufschtick
09-23-2009, 15:22
Ok, I'm kinda curious about this. For me it's hands down minis, but I was wondering about who plays the game using cards, minis, or both?

rapier1642
09-23-2009, 18:17
I play with both, I prefer mini's but there are times when it is just convienent to just use the cards.

Jim

Davot
09-23-2009, 19:57
Cards all the way!

More planes for use with cards
Cards have no serious overlap issues
Cards are easier to store, with less space taken up
Minis are horrendously expensive, IMHO;)

Setarius
09-23-2009, 21:15
I primarily play with cards but have used planes on a couple of occassions.
Will be using planes more when I get more people in my area interested and start using altitude rules.

AndyT
09-24-2009, 00:57
Both - I like cards for the greater variety but being able to repaint planes to represent a particular squadron is a great bonus.

aarondpjames
09-24-2009, 01:00
Mini's all the way for me!! :D

I can see how cards are cheeper and easier to transport around, but i prefire to use the cards for re-paint ideas and fly the mini's for the 3D battle feeling.;)

kaufschtick
09-24-2009, 01:12
I'm a miniature model airplane junkie myself, so the game lends itself real well toward helping me get my "fix" for things of that nature.

I like the cards, and they look super, but I'm not sure I could play the game, at this point, with just the cards.

Although, that is a good point about the card version traveling better, and the bottom line is that the miniatures are really just eye candy, and the game is just as fun either way.

Gravitypool
09-24-2009, 02:30
Yesterday i made my first mini game and i think the minis add more visual aspect to the game, but you have to be a little tolerant with position movements. Sometimes planes cover each other a bit, but in most cases you have to grab the plane cards in order to effectively represent overlaping situations.

On the other hand, cards allow more variation in planes. I don't want myself to get sticked to play always with the available mini planes (i'll buy it either ways Andrea, don't worry (XD))

Oberst Hajj
09-24-2009, 04:34
Overlapping

First things first, this game is always going to have some card/plane sliding going on. It is just a fact of the game and the sooner you learn not to care to much about it, the more fun you will have.

Overlapping is not as big an issue if you handle it the right way. If you keep each plane at a different height via the pegs, it makes them "fit together" better when they overlap because the wings are at different levels and such. The method of letting the top plane move first works well. If some planes are really going to be right on top of each other, we pick one plane to hold it's position. We place that rounds maneuver card next to it face up. If needed, you can easily work out where the plane should be for any firing that round. We then play the next round's maneuver card and let the plane that did move last round, move again ("flying out" of the way as we call it). Then we let the plane that was held move both maneuvers as planned. It sounds a lot harder then it is!

These methods have worked very well with my group... even with 8 players on a single table.

WilliamBarkerVC
09-24-2009, 07:35
Cards all the way!

So many minis already - and more to come!
Cards have no serious visual appeal
Cards are a pain to have on the table, they are too small!
Minis are remarkably affordable, IMHO;)

(with apologies to Davot... ;) )

kaufschtick
09-24-2009, 08:43
Overlapping

First things first, this game is always going to have some card/plane sliding going on. It is just a fact of the game and the sooner you learn not to care to much about it, the more fun you will have.

Overlapping is not as big an issue if you handle it the right way. If you keep each plane at a different height via the pegs, it makes them "fit together" better when they overlap because the wings are at different levels and such. The method of letting the top plane move first works well. If some planes are really going to be right on top of each other, we pick one plane to hold it's position. We place that rounds maneuver card next to it face up. If needed, you can easily work out where the plane should be for any firing that round. We then play the next round's maneuver card and let the plane that did move last round, move again ("flying out" of the way as we call it). Then we let the plane that was held move both maneuvers as planned. It sounds a lot harder then it is!

These methods have worked very well with my group... even with 8 players on a single table.

Overlapping is not that big a deal for me, we just keep the airplane cards on hand and use them when needed. No troubles at all! Like the Col. says, after a bit, you get used to it, and it does sound "harder", or more "awkward" than it actually is.

rkhlegacy
09-24-2009, 08:44
I use the minis most of the time so I would say that is how I primarily play the game. We have managed to work around the overlap issues without too much fuss.

On the other hand I do like the variety offered by the cards and the ease of transport. I have taken the cards on a few trips because it is so much easier to travel with.

Gravitypool
09-26-2009, 02:31
That's true. I went to brazil this year and I brought the entire DoW and FFtS in a single TCG deck case, then i just had to bring a pouch with the speed markers and the rulers and two dices (i've found damage calculation using dices is very useful when you don't want to transport your counters ^^)

Big Al
09-26-2009, 05:16
I prefer minis and have been using them for all my WW2 games so far. I have to admit that the cards do have certain advantages, namely:
1) Portability - Play anywhere, anytime
2) Numerous aircraft

I don't find overlapping an issue at all. All we have done is left the movent card in place until the next move, then place the model in place to allow its next move.
I'll tell you what is a great boon though, the new FFG card protectors! They are great. They allow you to pick the cards up more easily and if you are playing on a smooth surface, you can slide them out of the way really easily.

Zeppelin
09-26-2009, 07:40
I like the cards and will probably use the from time to time but it's the miniatures all the way for me.

Davot
09-27-2009, 19:14
So what does everyone do with all of those unused cards? I might be a buyer at the right price. :)

Roger Wilco
09-27-2009, 19:37
We only play with minis here! After reading some of the posts I think you guys play this game just a tad too seriously. We never have any issues with overlapping, as we just carefully reposition slightly if we have to, we never ever substitute planes with cards. I mean really whats the big deal if a plane is slightly out of position? Splitting hairs a bit aren't we? Haven't you guys ever heard of turbulance? Its a fun game and we like to keep it that way. Nobody around here takes it so serious that slight repositioning has ever been an issue. We use altitude and attitude repositioning with gimbling stands (no special rules there but it looks good), dyed cottonwool flak markers, itty bitty 2 mm scale terrain to photograph, straff and bomb, painted pipe cleaner smoke and fire markers that attach to the planes, we play on a huge laminated aerial photo, give me time and I'll make an exploded plane model to stick on a stand. We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!

sniperscout
09-28-2009, 11:40
Minis only for me too. I come from a minis wargaming background and using cards/cardboard chits/wooden blocks just does not do it for me. I choose WoW because it had minis and had simply mechanics. As such I have only purchased the WW1 Deluxe boxed set plus extra minis.

I will opf course be buying Balloon Busters, Series 4, 5 and the Bombers in minis when they become available;)

KsLazarus
09-28-2009, 12:18
Great game mechanics and fun either way... but I LOVE the miniatures.

kaufschtick
09-28-2009, 21:01
We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!

That's what it's all about brother! Heaps of fun!

BTW, I love those gimbles you made, super cool! Those could come in real handy down the road for a "house rule" of some kind.:cool:

Gravitypool
09-29-2009, 10:30
Also, playing with cards was very painful until the recent FFG protectors came out.

Big Al
09-29-2009, 11:33
Also, playing with cards was very painful until the recent FFG protectors came out.

Very true! But let's not forget that you still need the cards to play. The minis only replace one card in a deck, namely the aircraft. You still need all the other 18 or so cards in order to move that aircraft. If you don't then you aren't playing the game, but a different or heavily modified version

KsLazarus
09-30-2009, 23:07
Well... I ran in to my first disappointment with WoW...
I excited cracked open my latest purchase, Francesco Baracca's SPAD XIII miniature... it was like Christmas morning, only to unwrap a pair of socks... WHERE IS HIS PRANCING HORSE?!?!?!

I suppose this could be a copyright issue w/Ferarri... but it WAS Francesco's emblem first!!

sigh... so disappointed.

Greywolf
10-08-2009, 03:30
miniatures all the way for me. I've played alot of different card games and heaps of miniature type games and the lil figs always draw me back....

plus it helps when you get a product that looks so dam cool....

Cheers
GW

NB: I would consider trading/selling the unused cards :D:D

Grinneth42
10-13-2009, 20:02
I have to go with "all of the above"... there are just times that either the cards or the minis are better for game play. That being said, I have to say I prefer the minis visually, and they make an impact on everyone who thinks they 'might' want to get into the game...

Doug
10-15-2009, 04:20
I have been a minitaures player for the last 45 year, and never like board games, primarily becase I like seeing something solid on the table. You get to see the best (and worst) of other peoples minatures even in wings of war where player have customised their planes and painted up extra details. But I still collect the cards because I like them, and some times when my son's and myself want a quick game we will use cards rather than go to the trouble of un-packing carefully store miniature. So keep producing both as I will buy both!

Baron
10-15-2009, 07:10
Minis only :)

Cujo8-1
10-15-2009, 16:47
It's miniature aircraft all the way!

Sofia Lopes
10-17-2009, 02:32
Minis only for me too!

HardRock
10-19-2009, 16:15
I am a miniatures player, many different historical periods. I have a fair collection of 1/72nd scale WWII airplanes for Mustangs & Messerschmitts, which I hav'nt played in several years, no one has the space for a game.

Right now I use the cards, it's easier to toss it in a shoulder bag and take the bus to the game shop. I have a couple of old Crown 1/144th kits that I'll put on Litko stands for a one on one, Corsair vs Zero. But that's for the rare occasion that only two players are available.

Henry

LewdDude
10-20-2009, 14:02
All about the minis!!!

Double Deuce
11-01-2009, 10:57
Mini's here as well. Since I had to drive 90 miles to find a store that had them, I grabbed everything I could carry (and afford). :D

The Blue Baron
11-02-2009, 04:52
Minis!

Bigman
11-13-2009, 02:44
It's cards for me so far mainly cos I'm new and looking to get all the rules sets with damage cards/ tokens first.
But every time someone posts pics of those minis I feel myself being drawn to the dark side. :)

P.S. Agree with the it's all about the fun attitude

P.P.S Are we allowed to say Gimbles in public? :D

Jureweah
11-14-2009, 06:45
Minis of course

ptah1888
12-03-2009, 07:38
I'm throwing my weight behind the cards. I find cards easier to use (my geek path lead me through the dark valley of CCGs rather than miniature wargaming) and they allow more plane options. Also, imagine what my cats would do to miniatures...

franc3555
12-16-2009, 09:59
I use the mini of the wowI deluxe set,.. and all the other 8 planes are cards than i create, wowII cards ... I put them on the files section !!!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=311

Somes of this planes are created by others peoples !! :):)

p.s press download.... ( pdf) dont use the jpg in low quality

Ace of the Reich
12-16-2009, 20:14
I like to play with the minis, but there are some planes that are only on cards.... I wish they would make them as minis :D

Jäger
12-19-2009, 15:04
Minis are "the thing" for me. Beautiful but expensive, they really boost the ambiance. They need space to store and time to handle (before and after games, but I think it's worth of it. New series, 4 and 5, looks great, but there will be always plane types which you want to become miniatures!

usmc1855
12-19-2009, 16:50
Miniatures for me... :)

odobenus
12-21-2009, 14:28
I mostly prefer miniatures but I take cards with me as a portable set for breaks during trips (two camping mats make sufficient playfield for us).

Dimetri1
01-03-2010, 17:16
I play with minis because that is what others are doing but I like playing with the cards.

sparty
03-03-2010, 19:15
I started out a card only guy when I first got the game, but quickly realized how much cooler minis are and that they add a considerable amount of atmosphere to the game that the cards, frankly, are lacking.

That's not to say you aren't going to have an awesome time with the cards, it's just that you're going to be abstracting some of the cooler parts of the game like 3d effect of the planes on pegs, etc.

I agree 100% with Col. Hajj.... If you can't get over the fact that the cards & minis slide a bit...you're hosed. We count anything within a mm or so a hit. The reason is that it works both ways and if you don't, people will start actively fudging their positioning. It's better to keep that gamesmanship out of the picture and let the game just get played.

If the goal of the game is to have fun playing it, you're going to have a great time. If you're in it to win it. Look for a more precise game measured with hexes and facing with movement rates and more extensive rules.

Get out there and fly. Get out there are kill or be killed. That's the beauty of the game and everything that gets in the way of that is a bad thing indeed. Cards or minis you're gonna have a blast if you keep it light and in perspective!

von Auerbergh
03-04-2010, 14:51
Minis.

I´ve been playing such a long time with minis, I just don´t even think of using little pieces of paper ...

Don´t get me wrong: to take up a little box with cards and replay an interesting facette of the Great War is really fascinating. But all my friends (mostly tabletoppers) only start paying attention when I say: " ... and of course you can play it also with airplane models."

´Til now interested by cards: none. Interested by miniatures: five :)

BvA

richard m schwab
03-04-2010, 16:17
To play a game i do minis. To solo a problem i will use cards only. You still need cards to get out of those tight spots when two planes will end up in the same spot!
Rich

sparty
03-04-2010, 17:30
You know that's a great point...I do the same thing for solo'ing new tactics or trying to figure out good escape methods. Cards are just a lot quicker to get on the table than opening up my figure storage, getting the pegs out, getting the base...well you get the picture.

SgtWaka
03-04-2010, 20:37
:D:D:D I'll keep my cards....thank you, but,,, It is MINIS all the way for gameplay. Just from the collectors point of view and the "cosmetics" of the game, you've just got to use and have the minis. I could see keeping the cards and just travel them to work to play a lunch time game with just the cards. Makes sense to have both. The kid in all of us wants the feeling and to LOOK at the plane itself. It is what makes the games for me. The same with any wargame. I can't play cardboard counter games. I have got to have the minis, be it AAM, or the better , TOI.
WOW and DOW...Keep the minis coming. You HAVE to make a Zeppelin Balloon before i turn fifty.!!!:D:D:D

P.S. on that last note...you have a little over 2 years. :)

richard m schwab
03-05-2010, 13:42
They both have their uses i picked up a second set of Flying Legend`s and Eagles Of The Reich last month to have more cards and maneuver decks!

Rich

Tecumseh
03-16-2010, 20:39
I found this a very interesting poll, for the simple reason that when I started playing (I picked up minis of Red Baron and Barker's Camel and the a game as my first purchase) I was torn between the really compelling artwork on the cards and the stunning look of the minis. Added to this, I actually didn't like the way the info on the clear base looked. I much preferred looking at the firing arcs and other stats as shown on the cards. Personal preference.

Only solution for me, I built flight stands that would accomodate both and have never looked back. Now I have the model on top and the card on the bottom - best of both worlds.

As for overlapping with the minis, agree with other posters that you just substitute in the card until the flyby is over.

Ookami
03-31-2010, 00:58
Minis!!!!

The Blue Baron
03-31-2010, 04:50
Only solution for me, I built flight stands that would accomodate both and have never looked back. Now I have the model on top and the card on the bottom - best of both worlds.

Do you have pictures of your home made flight stands?

Haystack
04-22-2010, 06:52
Minis all the way. :D Years ago when all you could use in some games was cards I was creating my own rules to use with minis I made up myself or cobbled from toys to fit the situation. My rule of thumb is use what you enjoy. If your not getting enjoyment from the game whats the use in playing...right? :)

Haystack
04-22-2010, 06:55
I found this a very interesting poll, for the simple reason that when I started playing (I picked up minis of Red Baron and Barker's Camel and the a game as my first purchase) I was torn between the really compelling artwork on the cards and the stunning look of the minis. Added to this, I actually didn't like the way the info on the clear base looked. I much preferred looking at the firing arcs and other stats as shown on the cards. Personal preference.

As for overlapping with the minis, agree with other posters that you just substitute in the card until the flyby is over.

If you have some pics we sure would like to see them.

Guntruck
05-20-2010, 01:06
100% minis at our club

RBREE
05-20-2010, 11:06
I'm starting with cards and eventually moving to the minis... I could aford to get the games quickly but get Miniatures for WOW and DOW enough for 12 (we own the game and host for friends) players each was a little more than i could afford. Slowly a plane or two a month i'll eventually have what we need.

Jäger
05-20-2010, 12:14
You can never own too many minis!

Rollout
05-20-2010, 22:19
I find the minis irresistible. I can play with the cards with no problem, but I if I have the necessary miniatures, they're coming out.

I store my aircraft and cards in ornament boxes stuffed with packing popcorn. Not terribly attractive, but very simple and handy.

Bigman
05-22-2010, 13:03
I have recently bought my first minis. Two WW2 planes and two WW1. I played with both and found that I really liked the WW1 game but not WW2.

So for me i think it will be WW1 minis but WW2 cards

flash
05-28-2010, 12:57
Saw the card game and was interested - saw it played with minis and I was hooked !

Flying Officer Kyte
06-13-2010, 07:39
Planes for the sheer spectacle. Plus I can't see the cards when they are down on the table.
Rob.

Ducalutra
06-14-2010, 09:35
I was hooked by the minis, have to admit that WoW is one of the most scenographic games I ever played.
Strangely enough I discovered it's much easier and more comfortable to play the cards, especially in very close dogfights (i.e. always in my group)

SirDragon
07-03-2010, 10:53
Miniatures only so far... But I have all the booster packs.. So I want to start involving some of the other movement decks as well!!!

Hope they make more planes (minis) for all in game cards!!!

Willi Von Klugermann
07-05-2010, 16:17
It's minis for me unless I don't have the plane. The cards are also helpful when things get crowded.

Rick57
07-06-2010, 06:28
No question about it. It is miniatures all the way until there is some reason not to play with miniatures.

Hmmmm. I cannot think of one.

(BTW, I keep all of my cards.)

Olt^Jones
07-10-2010, 00:23
hello all!
i have wow ww1 since two years and the first set i bought was the minis deluxe set.it was fantastic!

then i bought recently the wow ww2 deluxe set also and i really enjoy it. its awesome!

so minis all the way! ;)

Bigman
07-13-2010, 12:53
further thoughts on this. When I played ww2 with minis I only had 2 a spit & a ME109 and didn't really enjoy it. so thought i would stick with the cards.

Then i got the WW2 delux set for a present ( I am now at the stage where the kids are buying me toys!:o ) and so had 2 a side that was much better.

WW1 I loved with the minis.

I still feel that to get the range of scenarios for WW2 the cards are helpful.
With WW1 you can get away with 8 planes and have a long lasting and interesting campaign.

With WW2 I want stukas Me110's hurris spits mosquitos fokke wulf 190s + maybe try some pacific scenarios etc etc.

would cost a fortune!

Goering Ace
07-13-2010, 16:34
Ever since we started it's been mini's all the way. For us there's just something more realistic and fun about moving the miniatures around the gaming surface. Cards are fun to look at, but at this point I could never use them with any regularity.
Good question.

Scott

Attila57
07-14-2010, 23:33
Miniatures without the slightest doubt

A.

Mike George
09-27-2010, 11:58
Cards all the way!

More planes for use with cards
Cards have no serious overlap issues
Cards are easier to store, with less space taken up
Minis are horrendously expensive, IMHO;)

I agree Cards all the way.
But I will play with other players minis

Dom S
09-28-2010, 06:38
Miniatures all the way for me, although my dad and I play with cards at his place, as it's a handy "kitchen table" game and saves me lugging a box of toys along when I visit....

Maniac
10-13-2010, 07:02
Primarily the minis as I got into playing games like this because I'd already been painting minis for years.

However, even when using the minis the cards are indispensible for overlaps and the like. I'm actually REALLY glad you have both for reasons like this.

Pope
10-13-2010, 08:31
Got to be mini's for me, but I have used just the cards when away from home as the transporting is so much easier.

KiltedWolf
10-13-2010, 22:26
Miniatures for me. The visual appeal they offer is one of the bonuses of the game, which also helps to bring new players to the table.

That being said, and now that I purchased the play mats, I can see the advantages to using the cards for a quick pickup game outside the home or LGS. I am glad that the game offers both choices.

Cheers!

g.paoletti
10-14-2010, 02:31
I started to play WoW mainly thans to the minis.

I hope to see more of them in the next future.

G.

amespri
10-14-2010, 05:07
minis for me (WWI).
Two major reasons
- I love the visual effect
- I'm playing with kids, and minis are a good way to hook them :)

Maniac
10-14-2010, 05:53
Miniatures for me. The visual appeal they offer is one of the bonuses of the game, which also helps to bring new players to the table.

That being said, and now that I purchased the play mats, I can see the advantages to using the cards for a quick pickup game outside the home or LGS. I am glad that the game offers both choices.

Cheers!

If you ever played Wizkid's Crimson Skies (which was/is a great game too by the way), you'd know the pain of overlapping planes and how to set them so they didn't mess things about (nevermind they should have had bases to match the maneuver cards).

Having both (mini and a card) that represent the same thing and are interchangable is simply brilliant. I haven't played a WoW game yet where people weren't all running on top of each other sooner or latter. Without the cards that gets to be a mess.

pistonpopper
11-23-2010, 19:37
The cards are very inovative and they do well for a portable war game, the art work is great, but the minis is were its at. At first I thought that they were too expensive but upon buying my first one, they are worth every penny! Joe

The Cowman
11-24-2010, 00:37
Its all about the minis now! :)

RonaldRS
11-30-2010, 03:45
i like the 3d look !!!!!:)

gully_raker
01-05-2011, 02:11
We only play with minis here! After reading some of the posts I think you guys play this game just a tad too seriously. We never have any issues with overlapping, as we just carefully reposition slightly if we have to, we never ever substitute planes with cards. I mean really whats the big deal if a plane is slightly out of position? Splitting hairs a bit aren't we? Haven't you guys ever heard of turbulance? Its a fun game and we like to keep it that way. Nobody around here takes it so serious that slight repositioning has ever been an issue. We use altitude and attitude repositioning with gimbling stands (no special rules there but it looks good), dyed cottonwool flak markers, itty bitty 2 mm scale terrain to photograph, straff and bomb, painted pipe cleaner smoke and fire markers that attach to the planes, we play on a huge laminated aerial photo, give me time and I'll make an exploded plane model to stick on a stand. We play with the whole 3D visual box and dice and have heaps of fun doing it. Miniatures is what makes this game fun!

I really like your Altitude err Attitude Rodger! I think you have added some great ideas to the game. Our "mob" are waiting for the Gimble Stands to become available & ALL our chaps have Models. We made a Playing surface using a green rubberbacked curtain material that has a patten like contours & have added drawn on Trenches, Tents, Hangers, a railway line with German Train Cannon some field guns etc but WOW Games mats are also coming shortly.

von Klauser
01-08-2011, 08:09
I play the miniature but I have all the cards so far. The guys I play with just aren't interested in that aspect so I haven't played with them(cards). I would like to paint some of the card planes as miniatures if I get the chance. I would like to paint some of the Polish Planes and maybe some captured planes to use in miniature form.

grumpybear
01-08-2011, 13:34
I played hex board games could not get my head around movement. Minis give a 3d image that works for me.

Chisco
01-08-2011, 21:21
With miniatures is more fun. I have some card boxes and packs but I prefer to play with minis.

Beanie
01-09-2011, 11:49
Due to space and storage issues I play with only cards - although I do have a very small collection of minis, but they are never used in game.

Grey Knight
02-13-2011, 12:58
mini's for sure

Xron Almighty
03-10-2011, 14:59
I would like to play with minis but I don't know enough people who are willing to get them for it to be a worthy investment.

Oberst Hajj
03-11-2011, 22:54
I would like to play with minis but I don't know enough people who are willing to get them for it to be a worthy investment.

If you buy a handful and let them play with them, they will soon be buying their own!

Big Al
03-12-2011, 00:22
If you buy a handful and let them play with them, they will soon be buying their own!

I'll second that! You only need a couple of planes and others' curiosity will get the better of them. Before you know it you'll be running regular games and then a campaign!

pivole
03-12-2011, 02:43
Cards, but I'd prefer minis as they don't change their heading when you let go of them.

Archidamus
03-12-2011, 11:49
I am another mini's only player - like others here I come from a figure wargaming background, and found the lure of the models irresistable

franc3555
03-17-2011, 18:00
Prefer miniature for looking... but i also like cards...I have many paint for 1 model of plane.

Many games with 50 % mini and 50% cards :-)

Hunter
04-18-2011, 15:02
If you ever played Wizkid's Crimson Skies (which was/is a great game too by the way), you'd know the pain of overlapping planes and how to set them so they didn't mess things about (nevermind they should have had bases to match the maneuver cards).

Having both (mini and a card) that represent the same thing and are interchangable is simply brilliant. I haven't played a WoW game yet where people weren't all running on top of each other sooner or latter. Without the cards that gets to be a mess.

Absolutely! Mini's all the way.

steel_ratt
04-19-2011, 07:12
Since I scratch build my own minis and haven't gotten nice game bases for them yet, I use both. I use the card as the main game piece and place the mini on table for the visual effect.

Flying Officer Kyte
04-19-2011, 09:11
Since I scratch build my own minis and haven't gotten nice game bases for them yet, I use both. I use the card as the main game piece and place the mini on table for the visual effect.

Don't worry Jon. The Col. will have some more in stock in a week or two. Welcome to the drome bye the way.

Rob.

jhary
04-20-2011, 05:16
Woud like to Play with the Mins but the only ones you get here are the ones from the Deluxe set

Albert Ross
04-30-2011, 22:54
So what does everyone do with all of those unused cards? I might be a buyer at the right price. :)

We use minis all the way, but the cards are drawn face down at the set up phase so the choice of aircraft is random (otherwise we'd have to fight that darned Sopwith Snipe every game!)

Flying Officer Kyte
04-30-2011, 23:19
My spare cards are up for grabs on the For sale forum.
Rob.

Wombat
04-30-2011, 23:41
Minis for me. I had the WYB game for more than a year, unplayed. I found it lacking a dimension. :P Then I got some minis and It became the best game ever! :)

Redwolf
05-01-2011, 03:02
Minis definatly, basically as it looks right on the board although it is easier to use cards for transportation as I am trying to get other interested in my area both so I am playing both at the moment

Madboyo
05-01-2011, 05:34
For me the minis make the game. A very expensive game

Niclas
05-01-2011, 06:58
For me the minis make the game. A very expensive game
So true Madboyo, so true - A very expensive game indeed!
Even though I also like playing with the cards a lot (don't have minis for all of them - yet), I still manage to ruin myself on minis.

Keydet83
07-24-2011, 14:33
With inexpensive miniatures like these, why would anyone use cards?

Cruthers
07-24-2011, 15:57
Miniatures. Just more tangible and visually appealing, and hopefully soon even more so once my Gimble Mounts arrive. :)

Niclas
07-27-2011, 07:20
With inexpensive miniatures like these, why would anyone use cards?
I would hardly call the several hundreds these babies run into "inexpensive", especially compared to the cost of the cards (and making your own cards is quite easy and costs almost nothing). Still, I can't resist those minis...

Anyway, it was the card-version that I first fell in love with and it still has me hooked. I use cards/minis about 50/50.

/Niclas

Keydet83
07-27-2011, 14:23
When I say "inexpensive," I'm saying the new gamer can get into this for less than $100 and still have a lot of fun--when you factor in the time and effort to paint hundreds of soldiers when compared with putting a single plane down, it is inexpensive in my eyes.

Niclas
07-27-2011, 15:06
When I say "inexpensive," I'm saying the new gamer can get into this for less than $100 and still have a lot of fun--when you factor in the time and effort to paint hundreds of soldiers when compared with putting a single plane down, it is inexpensive in my eyes.
Wait a minute...you mean that it's possible to buy just a few planes?

Tommy Z
07-27-2011, 15:38
Does 50 count as a few?:minis:

itchy
09-09-2011, 02:27
Minis 99% of the time take the cards on holidays etc for those rainy nights in.

Doug
09-09-2011, 02:51
Started taking card with me when I go on trips away from home for a couple of days. Its amazing the number of work mates who have never played a war game in their life will join in and enjoy the game!

Flying Officer Kyte
09-09-2011, 03:06
Here is my holiday box.
Rob.

Bluedevil
09-09-2011, 03:45
Looks like you are prepared for a fast gettaway Rob !:p :lol:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-09-2011, 04:14
Looks like you are prepared for a fast gettaway Rob !:p :lol:

Too true Alex. Never leave home without it.
Rob.

RJB
09-09-2011, 14:44
Miniatures for me too. The visual appeal is what makes the game (for me) but then I do lots of figure wargaming for the same reason.:thumbsup:

We are pretty lucky at BAD (Burton And District :rolleyes: ) wargamers in that we have a group of about 6 who will play on a fairly regular basis and also have aircraft, even if a couple only have one or two and a few others who will play if they have got nothing else on when we have a game.

As for storage I've got a KR Multicase so I just pick it up on the way out.

Rich :salute:

Traysa
09-10-2011, 12:58
It's more fun to use the minis. Although, I need to be careful to not run up the bill.

radzak
03-08-2012, 11:39
Mini's all the way for me!! :D

I can see how cards are cheeper and easier to transport around, but i prefire to use the cards for re-paint ideas and fly the mini's for the 3D battle feeling.;)

i love using the minis too. the 3D look is just right plus i also like to paint mine but i need decals.

radzak
03-08-2012, 11:41
Here is my holiday box.
Rob.

i wish i had the money to get all those altitude stands. oh well paper cut outs still work.

Flying Officer Kyte
03-09-2012, 01:06
i love using the minis too. the 3D look is just right plus i also like to paint mine but i need decals.

The oberst does some decals on the Aerodrome Accessories site. Also our member Dom of Dom's decals has a line. Another good source is Hannants. http://www.hannants.co.uk/
Rob.

Lord_Ninja
06-27-2012, 11:59
Minis are like cocaine, you just can't go back to life like it's normal after using minis. Did you make that setup or did you buy it like that Kyte? I am at 12 minis and have 4 more on the way and may have another 11 soon so I can't keep carrying them around in their original boxes.

Niclas
06-27-2012, 12:31
Minis are like cocaine, you just can't go back to life like it's normal after using minis. Did you make that setup or did you buy it like that Kyte? I am at 12 minis and have 4 more on the way and may have another 11 soon so I can't keep carrying them around in their original boxes.
Please don't try to snort the minis Lucas, you'll hurt your nose.
/Niclas

Flying Officer Kyte
06-28-2012, 09:50

I bought that box from Figures in Comfort here in the U.K. Lucas, but the Oberst does something similar on Aerodrome accessories.
Rob.

LittleDogma
09-10-2012, 19:24
I just brought a game, and don't have any mini(s) right now but one day, I would like to give it a try, and to owning mini(s) is appealing to me

Niclas
09-12-2012, 11:35
Be careful, Daniel!
You may think that you can buy just a couple, then before you know it you've bought them all - Those little minis are very addictive!

/Niclas

Lord_Ninja
09-13-2012, 13:07
I am now at 40 minis. And just bought a Bv-222 in 1/200 scale which is going to be about a nine inch mini. Someone please start a support group so that we may break this vicious cycle.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-13-2012, 13:21
I am now at 40 minis. And just bought a Bv-222 in 1/200 scale which is going to be about a nine inch mini. Someone please start a support group so that we may break this vicious cycle.

There is a support group in existance already Lucas. It goes under the name of Ares!:minis::lol:

Rob.

Tactics
09-14-2012, 03:40
Got to be minis !!!

Shiraz68
11-26-2012, 02:58
Mini's most of the time, with an occasional game with the cards if I remember to take them with me on holiday.

marcoperse
11-26-2012, 11:41
I use almost only minis, only in particular situation I replace them with cards

Marco

Baron Rolf
11-26-2012, 21:32
I prefer to game with the miniatures and only use the cards when necessary.

Пилот
12-19-2012, 01:15
Minis are not so expensive, and, as Keydet said, it's easier to open two boxes than paint 500+ Napoleonic soldiers to get two armies you can play with :)
Altough cards give you more variety and take less space, I would vote for minis as first choice.

7eat51
01-15-2013, 16:55
I just started playing, and I am using minis. I find they add value to the game due to their quality, and it is just plain fun moving beautiful minis around a table. I am introducing others to gaming, and the minis have made the game seem more accessible to them. I will probably play with cards, though, when traveling.

7eat51
01-15-2013, 17:02
Be careful, Daniel!
You may think that you can buy just a couple, then before you know it you've bought them all - Those little minis are very addictive!

/Niclas

Amen. I started with two minis a month or so ago, and now I have 34 planes, 3 bombers, and 2 balloons, and am getting ready to buy some of the new ones just coming out. It wouldn't be so addictive if the pilots kept to the same color scheme.

Captain Chum
01-27-2013, 19:23
Mini all the way! :thumbsup:

OldGuy59
01-27-2013, 23:26
Until I get minis, it's cards (paper, anyway).

And even when I get the Ares ones in the mail (waiting, waiting, waiting...), and with the paper ones I'm building, I will not have all the neat airplanes I want. I'm gonna have to get a second job, if I want to buy them all.

Building paper planes lets me print the colour schemes I want! If I get a plan of a Sopwith Tripe, I will be building the RNAS 10 Sqn's Black Flight of Canadian pilots. I could order Shapeways models and paint them up, but printing them (might) be easier. Paint and decals might be faster, at the rate I build, though.

But I will be using cards for two-seater and bomber runs for the next little while, no matter what comes in the mail.

I am planning to run an introductory event at my Air Base Officer's Mess, as soon as those Dual Packs show up! But I wouldn't want to do it without the minis. And if I'm gonna let newbies play (and they will all be newbies), I don't think I want to use my paper planes. So, I'm waiting. The Royal Canadian Air Force's 79th Anniversary will be on 1 April, so somewhere around that date, I'm hoping to hold the "Pilots vs Maintenance Officer's Dogfight Challenge". Fingers are crossed that the planes show up (I've had them on order since October). "I won't hold my breath. Although I look good IN blue, I don't look good BLUE!"

Mike :)

7eat51
01-28-2013, 09:45
Please let us know how it goes. Best wishes on the event.

I am planning to run an introductory event at my Air Base Officer's Mess, as soon as those Dual Packs show up! But I wouldn't want to do it without the minis. And if I'm gonna let newbies play (and they will all be newbies), I don't think I want to use my paper planes. So, I'm waiting. The Royal Canadian Air Force's 79th Anniversary will be on 1 April, so somewhere around that date, I'm hoping to hold the "Pilots vs Maintenance Officer's Dogfight Challenge". Fingers are crossed that the planes show up (I've had them on order since October). "I won't hold my breath. Although I look good IN blue, I don't look good BLUE!"

Mike :)

Flying Officer Kyte
01-28-2013, 12:20
Sounds a great idea Mike.
I'm sure they will turn up before that time.
Rob.

KirkH
02-08-2013, 07:41
I have some minis and like to use them, but get more enjoyment out of the many different types of aircraft on the cards. Plus, I enjoy things a bit more historically accurate so I like to keep flights of planes similar. Since I don't plan to go out and buy four Sopwith Camels and four SPADs and four Albatroses, the only way for me to play larger games is with the cards. For me, the biggest incentive to buying the minis is getting more maneuver decks. Personally, I just wish they'd sell maneuver decks separately. It would open up a BUNCH of options scenario-wise.

Пилот
03-10-2013, 03:13
Well, what about use of xeroxed copies of wanted decks (and use minis as proxies)?

Jager
03-10-2013, 05:54
I have some minis and like to use them, but get more enjoyment out of the many different types of aircraft on the cards. Plus, I enjoy things a bit more historically accurate so I like to keep flights of planes similar. Since I don't plan to go out and buy four Sopwith Camels and four SPADs and four Albatroses, the only way for me to play larger games is with the cards. For me, the biggest incentive to buying the minis is getting more maneuver decks. Personally, I just wish they'd sell maneuver decks separately. It would open up a BUNCH of options scenario-wise.

Yes, but it wouldn't really help the company profits, now would it.
karl

Canvas Eagle
04-02-2013, 18:25
I primarily use the minis, but I'll play with cards if it means getting in a game ;)

mike_espo
04-03-2013, 15:49
Ok, I'm kinda curious about this. For me it's hands down minis, but I was wondering about who plays the game using cards, minis, or both?

Wow...guess I am in the minority by far.....I play with cards only. :surrender:

7eat51
04-03-2013, 15:59
Wow...guess I am in the minority by far.....I play with cards only. :surrender:

Just picked up Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants last week. Almost have all the card sets. Great for travel, and I can see playing with them a lot more regardless. I love the minis, but the cards are quality as well.

Hope to play with you sometime before the year ends.

mike_espo
04-03-2013, 16:37
Just picked up Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants last week. Almost have all the card sets. Great for travel, and I can see playing with them a lot more regardless. I love the minis, but the cards are quality as well.

Hope to play with you sometime before the year ends.

Wow...where did you get those? The only copy of Burning Drachens is from italy, 35USd plus gonna charge 35USD to ship!!! :hmm:

Defiantely will play soon!:)

7eat51
04-03-2013, 16:43
Wow...where did you get those? The only copy of Burning Drachens is from italy, 35USd plus gonna charge 35USD to ship!!! :hmm:

Defiantely will play soon!:)

Have you ordered the Burning Drachens yet? If not, let me know and I will do a little looking for you. As for shipping, I imagine we could meet around 2900 N. Harlem for a drop off and some cannoli.

mike_espo
04-03-2013, 19:22
Eric: Pm ed ya.

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-14-2013, 03:31
For me personally I like 3D wargaming. Using the miniatures is what its all about you get more of a feel for the game and aerial warfare. Don't get me wrong the cards are fantastic and for space are easily transportable on holiday and the like.

Teaticket
10-14-2013, 19:53
I'm a sucker for the minis. The visual effect, especially on the new mats, is great.

I'll play either way but at just about all the game conventions I go to I see or bring my minis. At home with friends its minis all the way.

milcoll73
10-06-2014, 00:03

i guess youve never played with a "nudger" (someone who keeps "accidentally bumping" his/her a/c that doesnt have you in his/her firing arc until you they do):mad:. we all bump a/c from time to time but im talking about those guys that shamelessly rotate bases A LOT when executing a maneuver or pulling a card.

milcoll73
10-06-2014, 00:23
There is a support group in existance already Lucas. It goes under the name of Ares!:minis::lol:

Rob.

they seem more enablers to me;):thumbsup::thankyou:

milcoll73
10-06-2014, 00:29
Wait a minute...you mean that it's possible to buy just a few planes?

i presume you mean "just a few" AT A TIME?:p

milcoll73
10-06-2014, 00:39
minis:minis:minis:minis:minis:minis:minis:minis: all the way for me:)!!!!! minis got me into the game!!!! ive always been a fan of minis for games and always been a fan of warbirds so a game that combines both is a game for me. the only time i (and our group) use cards is when 1 or more plane is going to overlap. we place the card out and have it "go virtual" until they diverge. i like the cards for the artwork but would use another mini for a stand in instead of playing with a card only.

LOOP
09-03-2015, 06:49
It's minis all the way. I only use the cards as markers when aircrafts overlap.

Teaticket
09-03-2015, 07:50
It's minis all the way. I only use the cards as markers when aircrafts overlap.

1+ I do have all the card sets as they are nice for painting guides.

Flying Helmut
09-03-2015, 10:21
+ another 1 !

Still need cards for repainted minis, though. Overlaps happen often!

Tonx
09-03-2015, 11:00
It's :minis: for me ... Only ever use cards when holding TEWTS (Tactical Exercises Without Troops) but may start using them in the event of overlaps during gameplay.

Stumptonian
09-03-2015, 19:45
I have 5 or 6 of the card sets I got in a lot at a local gaming store who was selling WoW and WoG on eBay.
When I got there to sort through them all I asked about those and got them for $5.00 each or so.
I haven't opened them up yet, let alone used them ...

Future Pilot
02-25-2018, 04:41
Minis because they are much neater.

FlyBoy Nate
11-27-2018, 13:34
I like to play with the minis because it looks like you are really flying and not just moving a card around. :sHawker: