PDA

View Full Version : Queens Birthday Weekend Wargaming Convention - WoG big game

Dog of War
03-17-2017, 20:49
Hello all in the Australian Wing,

My club - Group North, are organizing a big wargaming convention (a multi-club event) over the weekends of 10-11 June (Queens Birthday long weekend). I am organizing a Wings of Glory WWI game on the day of 11th June. I am thinking it to be a good opportunity for us WoG fans to meet face to face and get in touch and generally have fun in a big bash. Admission on the day is free [EDIT: We on the committee have decided that entry is free to the event, so no door fee] for the whole day, start time is between 0900-0930 hours.

On the day it is basically bring along any airplane you fancy (probably thinking of setting for the second half of the war, say post 1916, since I think having something, for example, a Morane-Saulnier pitted against a Fokker DVII would be a butchers theater). I'll think of scenarios when I have an indication of the approximate amount of players interested and the amount of Entente and German/Austrian players. Mission briefing will probably happen on the day before the fly-out. If you would like to come, reply below or send me a PM with your interest and what plane you would like to bring along.

Cheers all,

Dog of War

gully_raker
03-17-2017, 23:32
:thumbsup: Good Luck for your planned Game.:sAprvd:

Bit far for me but I hope you get a great response from our SA members.

Carl_Brisgamer
03-18-2017, 01:10
Sounds like a great event Oleksandr, damn the tyranny of distance in this wide, brown land of ours. If by some miracle I can get to SA exactly where are you holding the event?

Baxter
03-18-2017, 04:21
Hi Oleksandr,

I would be interested in joining you on that day. Where are you holding this event. My interest is WWI planes, I can bring both my favourite German and Entente planes not bothered which side I fly for. :)

Dog of War
03-19-2017, 04:57
Ha! Thanks for pointing it out - I forgot to say where the event is being held. So the address is:

A.E. Martin Hall
Building 36
Woomera Road, Edinburgh

The Google maps image of the location is below (circled in red is the location):

If there is something else missing, let me know.

Carl_Brisgamer
03-19-2017, 05:17
Hmmm 2050 kilometres and 24 hours driving time for one day of Wings of Glory with my SA brothers. There is some pretty country on the way though.

Tempting......

Dog of War
03-19-2017, 05:52
Hmmm 2050 kilometres and 24 hours driving time for one day of Wings of Glory with my SA brothers. There is some pretty country on the way though.

Tempting......

Hello Carl,

I know the feeling, tempting to just get into the car and drive, drive and drive... Just find a small reason to perform a walkabout and you find your self tempted severely ;-)

Dog of War
03-19-2017, 05:54
Hi Oleksandr,

I would be interested in joining you on that day. Where are you holding this event. My interest is WWI planes, I can bring both my favourite German and Entente planes not bothered which side I fly for. :)

Cheers Gary for the reply, I guess we'll decide upon the day then for which side...

Carl_Brisgamer
03-19-2017, 05:59
Hello Carl,

I know the feeling, tempting to just get into the car and drive, drive and drive... Just find a small reason to perform a walkabout and you find your self tempted severely ;-)

I really enjoy my drives to Cancon and Wintercon. One day when I get enough time I'll do the grand tour.

Dog of War
03-20-2017, 08:21
Just to add, here is a link with our club profile if interested, and map location:

http://www.groupnorth.club/about/

Cheers all

Windy Jack
03-20-2017, 23:43
Oleksandr, I'd be interested in coming along. However because of other commitments on Sunday 11th June I wouldn't be able to get there until about 1145-1200hr.
I have a small selection of German and Entente planes, with most being fighters and post 1916.

Dog of War
03-21-2017, 01:20
Oleksandr, I'd be interested in coming along. However because of other commitments on Sunday 11th June I wouldn't be able to get there until about 1145-1200hr.
I have a small selection of German and Entente planes, with most being fighters and post 1916.

No problems at all. You are more than welcome to fly in whenever you are most comfortable.

The same goes for everyone else, you don't have to report to the HQ by 0900 hours (not that you'll be jailed for desertion or shot for treason ;-) ), come whenever you feel most comfortable, I'll get it set-up by the start time, with a couple of my planes on table, and if it gradually grows towards the end of the day in participation, or if there is early drop-outs, that is completely fine, I'll work out some scenarios that should be able to handle that.

Oleksandr

Dog of War
03-24-2017, 18:37
Fellow Wingmen - great news! We on the club committee have decided that entry is free on the day (yes, no door fee!). Just fly in and scrap it out in the air!

In any case though, if you want to join the event, still let me know, since I need to work out the game scenarios and side weighing anyway.

Baxter
04-04-2017, 23:17
I will arrive with Windy Jack at about 1145. :drinks:

Dog of War
04-05-2017, 18:16
Great! See you then!

In the mean-time I'll try to get some German observation balloons made. By the way, has anyone have knowledge of a good document/site on DIY observation balloons?

Baxter
04-05-2017, 18:28
I have no craft skills myself but if you look up Blackronin under community ...... In the files section he has plans and instructions on how to make your own balloons. Clever and cheap to make I think. :sAprvd:

Dog of War
04-05-2017, 19:07
Found it! Thanks for the pointer. Not that hard as I thought - very elegant solution.

Baxter
04-05-2017, 22:45
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/entry.php?111-How-to-do-an-Observation-Balloon

Should have posted this link to the visual instructions. I have a couple of official balloons. do you want me to bring them on the 11th?

Dog of War
04-06-2017, 00:51
Hello Baxter,

Great, thanks for the link. If you have balloons that is even better, feel very welcome to bring them along. For which sides do you have balloons? I'll try to get some balloons done just for fun, and if I get any ready I'll bring them along as well.

Baxter
04-06-2017, 01:16
I have put transfers on mine, so 1 German and 1 English.