PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia InCON 2017

OldGuy59
03-16-2017, 09:14
This year's iteration of our local convention.

21 - 23 April
Florence Filberg Centre
Courtenay, BC

InCON - Board Game Area/ (http://inconcv.com/family-board-game-area/)

More Wings of Glory!

Jager
03-16-2017, 10:26
I hope the games go well, Mike.
The Con logo made me think "Who let the kids loose!" ;)
Karl

OldGuy59
04-17-2017, 10:43
Four days and counting...

clipper1801
04-17-2017, 12:05
Excellent job, as usual! What cool games do you have in the mix?

OldGuy59
04-17-2017, 12:12
Excellent job, as usual! What cool games do you have in the mix?
Only WGF for this con, due to the conniption I had over the BoB release.

So, Snoopy vs the Red Baron on Friday night, the Dogfight Challenge on Saturday evening (Duel Packs up for grabs), and Open Flying on Sunday afternoon. This is in amongst a mix of X-Wing, Historical Miniatures, and other board games.

I'm the Games Coordinator, so I tried not to get too busy during the event. I have to supervise, and being the only Wings of Glory afficianado in the Comox Valley, I can't spread myself too thin. Darn!

clipper1801
04-17-2017, 12:24
Only WGF for this con, due to the conniption I had over the BoB release.

So, Snoopy vs the Red Baron on Friday night, the Dogfight Challenge on Saturday evening (Duel Packs up for grabs), and Open Flying on Sunday afternoon. This is in amongst a mix of X-Wing, Historical Miniatures, and other board games.

I'm the Games Coordinator, so I tried not to get too busy during the event. I have to supervise, and being the only Wings of Glory afficianado in the Comox Valley, I can't spread myself too thin. Darn!

WGF works! I haven't get the nerve up to approach the elves on the BOB adaptations and corrections yet. . . . : )

OldGuy59
04-17-2017, 12:25
I hope the games go well, Mike.
The Con logo made me think "Who let the kids loose!" ;)
Karl

Sorry, I didn't mention this year's theme. Fraggle Rock. Cause it's fun. www.henson.com - Fraggle Rock (https://www.henson.com/fraggle-rock.php)

BobRoberts
04-19-2017, 11:54
Mike, I hope you have a successful event this weekend. Maybe next year I'll be able to get over there.

Jager
04-19-2017, 11:57
Hope you have a great weekend, Mike. Don't stress too much as coordinator.
Karl

OldGuy59
04-22-2017, 00:26
Friday Night: Snoopy vs the Red Baron

The Game Host, ready to showcase a terrific game:

The Set-up in the Board Game Room:
We did respawns for as long as people wanted to play, and did two and a half hours of tight maneuvering and lots of gun jams. Snoopy was desparate for a Bullet Checker skill. Over the course of the evening, we had six people eventually end up playing, two veterans (Nikolas and myself), two novices (Matt and Adien), and two initiates (Zander and John).

Nikolas (Barker's Camel) takes out Adien (LvR Dr.1):

Matt (LvR Dr.1 respawn) collides with my (Kirschstein Dr.1):
Matt drew a "1", and I drew a "0". Unfortunately, it was the spikey version. John's Camel was not affected.

Snoopy flew valiantly, but couldn't take both von Richthofens at the same time:
Note: Zander was the youngest pilot at the table, but I think he had the most fun. Learned fast, and played even faster. He was on the table for a considerable time before taking this double hit. MvR did double "0"s with his shot, but LvR's first card of two was the "5". The doghouse became splinters.

Matt meets a grizzly end, when both Nikolas (Barker's Camel) and John (Stackard's Camel) did the double short blasts on his Dr.1:
Payback for Snoopy!

---------------------------------

Dogfight Challenge tomorrow night....

clipper1801
04-22-2017, 09:11
Dawg gonnit! Hope he had his trusty parachute! Looks like a new fan is born! Keep up the good work!

OldGuy59
04-24-2017, 11:59
Saturday Evening: Dogfight Challenge

Eight people decided to join in the fun, for the Head-to-Head battles.

Layout of the Challenge in the Tabletop Gaming room on Saturday evening:
L-R: Melissa, Marcus, Mitchell, (not part of the Challenge in the rear) Rory, Hayden, (foreground) Nikolas, (rear) Ashley, (foreground) Tearlack, (rear) Connor, (not part of the Challenge in the far rear right) Dave, the Historical Miniatures Game Host.
Melissa was shanghai'd into this, being the mother of Hayden, and chaperoning Mitchell, Hayden's friend. Nikolas was really the only veteran player in the group, with Connor and Hayden having played last year (I don't know if they have even played in the interim). Ashley and Tearlack were new this year, with Nikolas shanghai'ing Tearlack at the last minute to make up an even rotation.

Dogfight Challenge Winner with three straight wins: Mitchell. OldGuy59 presents Mitchell with a Wings of Glory Duel Pack (donated by Service Honoured).

Dogfight Challenge Ace (Dishing out the most damage): Connor. OldGuy59 presents Connor with a Wings of Glory Duel Pack (donated by Service Honoured).

OldGuy59
04-24-2017, 12:11
Sunday Afternoon: Open Flying
Or How the Veteran Gets Trashed by the Rookie!

Only one person showed up for the Open Flying session, and that was Zander from the Friday night Snoopy vs the Red Baron game. Despite being shot down in spectacular fashion, he came back for another try.

We flew a bunch of planes, to give him some experience with different maneuver decks, and try out alternate tactics. Being that it was him and myself, we went with all sorts of things. One on one games, with: D.VII (Zander alway listed first) vs Snipe (me) - He shot me full of holes; S-S III vs Nieuport 28 - Zander saved by my drawing the Boom Card, with Zander's plane being badly shot up; Bristol Fighter vs D.VIII - Boom Card in two moves to me! Reset, and flew again.

This was the last battle:
I was all over Zander, but with the pilot using the Perfect Aim skill, and the rear gunner with the Bullet Checker skill, I was taking lots of shots. The "0"s saved me. Zander went down with our close-range exchange at the end, but he lit me up. I drew the damage in sportsmanship fashion, and got one "0", then another "0", and the Spiky "0". Mutual Kill!
Note: D.VIII damage cards: "0" on the left - normal damage. "0"s on the right with the "2"s, all "+1"s. Bottom cards were the follow-on Fire damage. Ka-boom!

This is the guy that did me in:
Yeah. He was pretty stoked. Took the Veteran out with three games and a tie.

Did I mention in the Friday Night post that Zander was a fast learner? A new addict for Wings of Glory?

clipper1801
04-24-2017, 13:31
Sad to see your demise, but the new recruit looks hooked indeed! Good job to both of you! One never knows the impact one passionate person can have on the next generation . . .

OldGuy59
04-24-2017, 16:42
Updated Saturday Night's Dogfight Challenge post, finally.

BobRoberts
04-24-2017, 18:57
Looks like it was a good time Mike. You're a great ambassador for the game. Wish I could have been there.
Rob

Updated Saturday Night's Dogfight Challenge post, finally.

Stumptonian
04-24-2017, 20:57
Great job, Mike.
Fine effort to secure the next generation of pilots.
:thumbsup: