PDA

View Full Version : e5romeo's first AAR... WoW is alot of fun.

E5Romeo
11-20-2010, 20:58
Dear Sir,

I write this to you from a field hospital 63 km from our Jasta's airfield. My injuries our light; the doctors tell me I should be dead, and from the injuries of the infantrymen around me, I am even more thankful. I should return to the aerodrome in a few days, but here is the events of my first mission:

After I took off from the Airfield, I started with the rest of my patrol at the front. The weather quickly turned sour, and I was separated from the rest of my flight. Flying into a break in the clouds, I spotted a single French fighter, a Spad 13!

Taking stock of the situation, I decided to engage immediately. His fighter came up fast, and we quickly shot at each other in a head-on pass. His marksmanship was impeccable and my machine was riddled with bullets, luckily none hitting me. My guns jammed after the first burst. I apologize, captain, as to this lack of discipline.

I flew straight and to the left to give me time to unjam my weapons, but the cunning frog must have seen it and turned back onto my tail. We spent the next several minutes trading shots and jockeying for position, and I admit, he was the more skilled opponent. He got on my tail after an immelman and put a long burst into my wings. I juked left and luckily got him from out behind me. Unfortunately we were set up for another head-on pass, and though I saw my shots take effect, his marksmanship riddled my engine, and my dying craft pitched left and fell to earth. Luckily, my squadron mates showed up at this time, and drove off the french pilot, but the Allied AA gave him a mighty curtain and I'm sure he escaped. I hope that you will tell me otherwise, as at that point I was concerned about trying to bring my nose up, and I barely had my machine pointed at the horizon before I slammed into the earth.

Say what you will about the new Fokkers, but the Albatros is a solid plane, and she kept me in one piece. Luckily, a passing regiment saw what happened and pulled my passed out form from the wreckage before my plane burned. I accept full responsibility for my performance, and will accept any punishments entailed.

Sincerely,
Pilot Stefan j. Rotwell.

IRL:

I just got the famous aces pack AND my spad and albatros minis. And being it my father's birthday, I asked him if he would want to actually try it... And he did.(he hates all games, so I was shocked). Because of this, he took the Spad and I took the Albatros D.Va. I read the rules, punched the Counter out, arranged the cards, and off we went!

We had a blast. I love the damage charts: Keeping them to yourselves adds an extra dimension to the game. Granted, I took 8 points of damage on the first pass, and he 1, but its cool. (He got alot of zeros from me- next time this german will NOT load the blanks)

My Dad was unexpectedly good at the game. He is a former commercial pilot, and he was impressed with the mechanics of it. I did not realize that you could use an immelman after a steep card, which i'm still not sure of, but could not prove wrong. He thought you could, which put him on my tail in a crucial moment.

We played with just the basic rules, and now we want to expand it with Altitude and more damage. I do have some questions, which I hope someone will answer..

1. How are some planes faster than others? I do not see a difference in card length. Is it a lack of turns?

2. CAN you use a steep, straight card before/&/After an immelman card?

3. The pieces move REALLY easily. Playing on a bare wooden table does not cut it. Would a tablecloth improve gameplay? I do not even see playing this game with the planecards, as they would move too much...

4. If I play this game with the planecards, how do I split up the manuever deck? Or do I just use 4 different planes with 4 different maneuver decks? And how do you recommend I add more people to the game, when it comes to damage? I would like to have a demo of 3v3, and I'm not sure the damage table can take it. I could always have them write down their damage....

5. Which optional rules do you recommend? Are some not as fun?

6. What the hell are the Manuever cards with red lines for? Are they for altitude rules?

7. I love the miniatures, but i dont want to spend the price. Are the revesco and skytrex miniatures good? And are the aerodrome accessories bases heaver than the WoW mini ones?

8. Do you think that "Watch your back!" is a good next buy? Can I find the altitude rules somewhere other than "burning drachens"?

Thank you all for reading, and good luck!

e5romeo

tuladin
11-20-2010, 21:38
I can answer some of these:

1. How are some planes faster than others? I do not see a difference in card length. Is it a lack of turns?

Compare the lenth of the straight maneuvers - you'll notice that the A deck straight arrow goes all the way to the end of the card, B goes 4/5 down the card, and D goes about 3/5. Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it adds up pretty quickly.

2. CAN you use a steep, straight card before/&/After an immelman card?

No.The straight has to have the little forward arrow next to the deck letter in the lower left. The steep maneuver has a different symbol.

6. What the hell are the Manuever cards with red lines for? Are they for altitude rules?

They are for use with the altutude rules. The short one is a climb, and the long one is a dive.

8. Do you think that "Watch your back!" is a good next buy? Can I find the altitude rules somewhere other than "burning drachens"?

Watch Your Back is almost identical to Famous Aces, except it has different Airplane cards, the B damage deck, and maneuver decks E - H.

You can get the altitude rules from this site here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=420

Hope that helps. :):):)

I enjoyed your after action report!

The Cowman
11-20-2010, 23:10
Awesome AAR Steven!

Looks like Larry covered all of your questions, so no need for me to chime in and confuse you with my silliness.

Keep playin'! Find some minis and try 'em out... but mostly: keep having fun! :D

McKeever
11-21-2010, 08:19
Excellent AAR. Good to see you're jumping right in.

3. The pieces move REALLY easily. Playing on a bare wooden table does not cut it. Would a tablecloth improve gameplay? I do not even see playing this game with the planecards, as they would move too much...

When I first started playing, I found that an old sheet or tablecloth worked fine. Also, the cards will lose some of that 'slickness' as you continue to play.

Again, great report.

Best to all,

Mac

Goering Ace
11-21-2010, 09:55
Hi Steven. Excellent mission report. I really enjoyed reading it. In answer to question #5, I recommend you try the altitude rules next. They may seem a bit intimidating at first, but in reality they are very easy to learn and add a great new aspect to the game. In response to question #4, you need 4 maneuver decks for 4 planes cards. Don't split the decks.

In regards to the mini prices, have you checked out our site sponsor, Coolstuffinc.com? They have very good prices on the minis and you might find them more affordable than you thought.

Again, great job on the mission report. :)

Scott

Aero825
11-21-2010, 11:44
Great AAR Steven! (even though I have no Idea what AAR stands for:D). When you say you played with your dad, does that mean you are under 18 years of age, 'cause if you are, you can join the Junior Eagles, of which I am the unofficial Squadron leader. I would love a new pilot. Again, great report; I was quite immpressed.

Hunter

Jythier
11-21-2010, 11:55
1. Only go to the end of the arrow, not the end of the card. A deck goes 5" per turn, B &C decks go 4 1/2" per turn, and D goes 4 1/8", and there is a fourth speed of 3 7/8" which you may encounter later.

2. A straight card is defined as a card with a forward-arrow in the corner. Steeps have diamonds, right and left turns have right and left arrows. So you cannot play a steep before an immelmann, you must play a straight.

3. Towels, felt, whatever you can come up with that will make the cards move less. We play on bare wooden tables and it works just fine, as long as nobody is picky about it.

4. Get more maneuver decks, OR write down the number of the maneuver card you want to use, and then pull it out of the deck to actually do the maneuver. There are some player aids in the files section for this.

E5Romeo
11-21-2010, 18:13
Thanks Gents! Thank you very much for answering my questions - 2 more though -

Is the "B" Damage Deck available from "Watch your back" the same as the one available from the Files section?

2. Are the Stats of the Nieuport 17 the same as the Nieuport 23? Because I LOVE the N.17, but I cant find any models, and I'm considering repainting Kibanov.

Once again thanks gents. AARs are fun to write.

Hunter - Sorry, but I'm 23. Back in the ol' hometown after a few years in the Active Duty. Best of Luck to you! Also, AAR = After Action Report.

crashx
11-21-2010, 18:32
Good to have you flying with us Steven. For our table, we use a fleece cloth that I got for a local cloth store. I found one with a soft looking camoflage pattern. I like the fleece because it works well with the minatures. It cost about $5 for a couple of yards of material. We also use picnik table clips to tighten it down on the table so we don't move it accidently.

DaveZee
11-21-2010, 22:33
Great report. Keep them up!

Wolfbiter
12-17-2010, 14:27
Nice report! As a DVa pilot myself, I salute you! I am sure next time you will have a chance to turn the tables on those pesky SPADs!

rrodrick
12-17-2010, 22:32
Great report. I'm sure your commanding officer will see the wisdom in getting you back in the air again!

I use the same material as CrashX above and it works very well for playing games with miniatures. My tablecloth is also dark camo color and I have used fabric paint to add some highlights. For some reason it really does add something to the game to be playing on a background instead of the bare table. The friends I fly with just expect me to have the cloth ready to go now. :)