PDA

View Full Version : Merging with Dawn Patrol / FitS

DougB
11-20-2010, 13:44
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away my gaming buddies and I played a lot of Dawn Patrol (originally published as Fight in the Skies). This had a really nice system that defined tiered pilot progression from rookies to 20+ kill aces. As your pilot progressed he would get advantages in tailing, damage, hitting enemy pilots, unjamming, etc.

I'd like to try to merge this kind of system with the WoW game mechanics, but thought I'd check to see if this would be reinventing the wheel. Anyone out there who's done this already?

Flying Officer Kyte
11-20-2010, 15:17
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away my gaming buddies and I played a lot of Dawn Patrol (originally published as Fight in the Skies). This had a really nice system that defined tiered pilot progression from rookies to 20+ kill aces. As your pilot progressed he would get advantages in tailing, damage, hitting enemy pilots, unjamming, etc.

I'd like to try to merge this kind of system with the WoW game mechanics, but thought I'd check to see if this would be reinventing the wheel. Anyone out there who's done this already?
Have a look in the files at the Col's. Knights of the air campaign. It may give you a lead.
Rob.

MayorJim
11-20-2010, 17:29
Yes, the Knight's of the Air campaign has some good rules on "moving up".

Walram
11-20-2010, 18:11
I recently purchased "Dawn Patrol" to use some of its tables for a WoW Campaign. I've gotten a lot more detailed creating a random name (expanded), age, rank, home city and country generator in MS Excel (using the % rates in Dawn Patrol) plus a few more items.

However, before I go full out on the campaign structure, I'm waiting for the delivery of "Wings Over France" to see how that plays. I think it may have the structure I'm looking for in the overall campaign.

McKeever
11-21-2010, 11:04
However, before I go full out on the campaign structure, I'm waiting for the delivery of "Wings Over France" to see how that plays. I think it may have the structure I'm looking for in the overall campaign.

If you like solitaire games, I think you'll like it a lot. It is a good game, though the rules can give you a spot of trouble on the first read (structure is the problem IMO) and I think rolling for weather every move is a bit much, but overall I give it a thumbs up. Really give you a feel for running ops during "Bloody April".

Mac

Charlie3
11-23-2010, 09:36

I'd like to try to merge this kind of system with the WoW game mechanics, but thought I'd check to see if this would be reinventing the wheel. Anyone out there who's done this already?Check out the Traverse City League rule book in the files section we have a whole section on pilot/observer advancement.