PDA

View Full Version : Greater Toronto Area WoW game day?

Canuck
11-13-2010, 15:00
I have posted a message in many of the Canadian pilot's personal profiles try to see if there is interest in doing a WoW tournament day somewhere in the greater Toronto area (Oshawa to Hamilton kinda thing).

The date would be sometime after Christmas: so we can all bring our new, or see other people's new, WoW stuff.

I have access to a spacious room at a club I'm a member of in south Etobicoke - south of the QEW - this could be one option for a location. I should be able to bring 1 or 2 players in addition to myself.

Post here if you are interested, or even better if you have a location for the event!:D

Bruce
11-14-2010, 21:36
I'd consider coming down from Ottawa (and visit my son, the ROM and the AGO on the same trip) but it would have to look like it was going to be fun and "bigger" than we normally play here in our Family and Friends gaming group.

We game regularly with 6-8 players face-to-face in our Family gaming room, and up to 10 in PBeM games (incl one from France, one from Detroit, and one from Petawawa).

Bixby
11-15-2010, 08:40
Great idea. I will be planning a trip to Toronto sometime next spring. Not sure when yet. Perhaps a second gathering when I know my dates.

Have fun!!

Canuck
11-15-2010, 11:01
Here is the tournament style format that I am proposing for the Greater Toronto Area WoW Day. Special thanks go out to Khargor who's ideas formed the nucleus for this campaign.

GTA Wings of War Tournament Day
Date: TBD

Campaign Scenario
This series of five missions represents a campaign of engagements between two “squadrons” over the front lines. This campaign has been designed for group play wherein the number and experience of players and/or the types of miniatures that will be available is undetermined until game time. It has also been assumed that players may not be know to each other, may not have played together before, and may not have participated previous in group play. Every effort has been made to encourage play that contributes to the spirit of the game. Should a disagreement arise, squadron leaders should come to a mutually acceptable solution. Players should select a squadron leader for each side who will make command decisions (how many and which aircraft will fly in each mission, which pilots will fly, give or delegate permission briefings, etc.) for each side during the missions outlined below. Each side should have a balance of aircraft and players as agreed up by the squadron leaders. This balance should reflect both aircraft strengths and player abilities. The number of aircraft for each squadron agreed upon should not exceed 2 for each player in that squadron. A squadron leader is considered a player in all respects throughout the campaign. Each player should select up to two aircraft from those agreed upon by the squadron leaders to use as his player aircraft during the course of the campaign. A player may fly both his aircraft in a mission if asked by the squadron leader. In addition to player aircraft, each squadron is awarded 2x two-seater “squadron” aircraft. These may be assigned to pilots at the discretion of the squadron leader. If both of a player's aircraft are destroyed then that player may only fly in a “squadron” two-seater as pilot or observer at the discretion of the squadron leader, he may not fly another player`s aircraft, even if available. (3 players on a side = 6 player aircraft + 2 x “squadron” two-seaters). Special House Rules: Airmen of all downed aircraft are considered KIA/MIA/POW for the purposes of this campaign. To maintain a sense of chivalry during the campaign, pilots may not exit the friendly side of the playing field with less than 50% damage without penalty unless instructed to so by the scenario. Pilots who engage in this unchivalrous behaviour shall be reprimanded by their squadron leader by incurring a -1 victory point penalty/occurrence and may also sit out the next scenario in penalty at the discretion of the squadron leader. Pilots who exit any non-friendly side of the playing field shall reappear at a random point on that same side a random number of turns later (draw 1xB deck damage card as "radoms"). Special damage rules are in effect. Other rules may be in play if both CO's agree.

Mission Schedule

Mission 1 : Photo Reconnaissance: 2 x scouts and 2 x "squadron" two-seaters (photo reconnaissance)/side.
In preparation for a push to gain aerial superiority, commanders have issues directives that the area must be checked thoroughly by means of reconnaissance and photography to locate enemy positions and targets. Each player places two target counters on the board, at least 12" from their side of the playing field. Each side must photograph the enemy target(s) by performing a stall manoeuvre over the enemy counter(s) whilst preventing them from doing the same over theirs. Special Rules: Each photo reconnaissance plane can photograph either target. Photo reconnaissance planes may not fire weapons during the stall manoeuvre when photographing. Photo reconnaissance planes must exit the friendly side of playing area to successfully complete a photo reconnaissance mission. Each target may only be counted once for victory point purposes event thought it may be photographed more than once. Victory Points: 1 VP for each enemy plane shot down, -1 VP for each friendly plane lost, 2 VP for each successful reconnaissance completed. Maximum victory points possible = 8.

Mission 2 : Air Superiority: Up to 8 x scouts per side.
With the increase in aerial activity in the area comes an increased chance of coming across the enemy as scouts probe forward to test enemy reaction times and abilities. This is a multiple plane vs plane straight dogfight. Special rules: The side that lost the previous mission declares how many scouts it will send up first. The opposing side may not exceed that number of scouts but must field at least two. Victory Points: 1 VP for each enemy plane shot down, -1 VP for each friendly plane lost, 3 VP for the side forcing the enemy from the skies. Maximum victory points possible = 11.

Mission 3 : Bombs Away!: 2xscouts and 2xtwo-seater “bombers”/ side
Both sides are sending troops and materials up towards the front and the squadrons are scrambled to try to do as much damage as possible to the enemy and slow their advance. This game sees pilots from each side competing to bomb the enemy targets (tanks, field guns, etc) that are on the board whilst preventing the enemy from bombing your own targets. Special Rules:3 target tokens will be placed by each side at least 12 inches from the back of their playing edge. For the sake of simplicity, each “bomber” will be assumed to carry 2 bombs. Players will not be able to talk to one another when playing but may use hand signals. Victory Points: 1 VP for each enemy plane shot down, -1 VP for each friendly plane lost, 2 VP for each target successfully bombed. Maximum victory points possible = 10.

Mission 4 : Stop the Bombers! 1xtwo-seater bomber for each pair of scouts fielded.
High Command have decided to bring in the bombers to bomb in depth and blunt the enemies big push by hopefully neutralizing rear headquarters and other prime targets. Squadron pilots must get their bombers off the enemy's deployment table edge whilst preventing the enemy bombers getting through their deployment edge. This game sees pilots from each side competing to get their bomber off the board whilst stopping the enemy bomber doing the same. Special Rules: Each side will be given 1x two-seater based on the number of pairs of scouts fielded to represent the bombers. Bombers will be nonplayer planes and will use a predetermined flight plan during the mission. (straight unless fired upon, random if fired upon: stall/slide left/slide right/straight, if fired upon the previous phase). An even or odd number of scouts may be fielded by either side and this number need not be equal. Each side must field at least one pair of scouts. Players will not be able to talk to one another when playing but may use hand signals during the mission. Victory Points: 1 VP for each enemy plane shot down, -1 VP for each friendly plane lost, 1 VP for each friendly bomber that exits the playing area, -2 VP for each enemy bomber that does so. Maximum victory points possible = varies.

Mission 5 : Fighting Eagles: all surviving aircraft
With the big ground push underway by both sides and warfare raging all across the front line, the squadrons are scrambled to support the ground troops by clearing all enemies form the sky. Special Rules: This is a multiplayer/multiaircraft mission involving all the surviving aircraft from both sides. The mission will have bonus VPs in the form of barrage balloons (if available). Victory Points: 1 VP for each kill, -1 VP for each plane/balloon lost, 3 victory points for driving the enemy from the skies. Maximum victory points possible = varies.

Enjoy!

robotwizard
11-15-2010, 20:17
There's a couple of us players here in Kingston, a trip down to Toronto for a tournament wouldn't be too much effort. Count us in!

Bruce
11-15-2010, 20:24
I can bring at least one of my four brothers (3 are avid WoW gamers too); so that's at least 2 from Ottawa.

Canuck
11-16-2010, 05:10
That's great guys, I was not sure how far people would travel: didn't want to assume that anyone was as crazy as I was.

Bruce
11-16-2010, 07:19
"Crazy", "Crazy" ...... I knew I was different, but now I've got a name for it. Thanks Paul.

I assume you'll try to post notices at all or some of the shops that sell WoW stuff in the Toronto area. I'd be pleased to do the same here. Perhaps Andrew in Kingston would do the same. Also, if you develop the schedule and plan for the event, I'd make a first attempt at creating an 8" X 11" poster that we could distribute to others to "post" in their local shops.

I have over 100 WoW (WW I) aircraft, all on "gimbals", each with their own manouvre decks, 3 Balloons, many very realistic fire and smoke clip-on markers, and lots of MG jam clip-ons.

I usually shop at 3 shops on Young St. between a block N of Carleton southwards to Queen; the Hairy Tarantula and the names of the other two escape me but they always have good stocks of stuff compared to my 4 local shops in Ottawa. The Ottawa shops tend to take orders which are usually delivered to the shop within two weeks.

Let's do it! Great idea and initiative. Thanks.

Canuck
11-17-2010, 14:04
Good idea Bruce. I'll make up a poster for the event that I can email around and that we can post in local gaming shops. I'll take a photo as well and provide a link to this site too so we can increase awareness of the site in our local gaming communities. I'll also make up a Google Mail account so we can have people contact us and ask questions as well as send out mailings or updates.

Before I make the poster, there are a few things to consider:

1. the date?
2. will there be a minimal cost?
3. BYO lunch and non alcoholic refreshments is a good idea as well.
4. As it is in a private club, I was wondering how wide a net we wish to cast here.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these items?

Canuck
11-18-2010, 08:18
I have updated the original tournament format post.

MayorJim
11-19-2010, 18:02
Good luck with your tourney!

CrackerJack
11-27-2010, 06:41
I'm a completely new player but I would definitely be interested in attending. Of course I hope that I can participate in the gaming but if not I would attend and observe. I'm in Oakville and would like to meet more players in the area.

Bruce
11-27-2010, 09:35
No sweat about being new to the game; the other team will be happy to have you.

Just joking.... just joking.

One of the "old boys" will help you if you don't already know what you need to know. AND there will no lack of aircraft to use.

One of the joys of WoW is that there aren't a lot of rules. BUT, in order to "live long and prosper" there are good-tactics-guidelines (dicta), and there is a need to have a "feel" for your aircraft's speed and manoeuvrability. This latter "need" is because you will not be permitted to make physical measurements of your possible manoeuvres on the table; your eyeball estimates will have to suffice.

"Pkay" (Paul), from Toronto, is leading the effort to get this Toronto-area WoW gaming event together. I've volunteered to help in anyway, and to flush-out and solidify Ottawa area interest. We have a vast amount of experience on this site to draw-upon. If Paul can pull-it-together I am sure it will be a great event.

Canuck
12-05-2010, 16:39
OK lads it looks like it is time to get things moving on this. Best dates for me are:

Sat Feb 12
Sat Feb 19
Sat Feb 26

What say those of you are looking to attend? Any preference? - I still have to check on availability of space and will do so on Wed this week.

Come on now, don't be shy. Speak up!

CrackerJack
12-06-2010, 07:18
At present all three dates are a go for me. I'm a new player living in Oakville and looking to meet players in the area and of course have some fun gaming!

crhkrebs
12-06-2010, 11:33
OK lads it looks like it is time to get things moving on this. Best dates for me are:

Feb 13
Feb 20
Feb 27

What say those of you are looking to attend? Any preference? - I still have to check on availability of space and will do so on Wed this week.

Come on now, don't be shy. Speak up!

Saturdays work the best for me, and probably for someone who has to drive some distance, such as Ottawa. So far these Sundays are OK too.

I've run a few of these games at Origins and at the HMGS-East Cons. The biggest games we had was with 8-10 people. When you do a "con" game with the potential with a lot of players, with different experience levels then you want to simplify this game.

With this in mind, for a LARGE game, allow me some suggestions:

1) Do away with the altitude rules. With 8-10 players, the game can easily bog down. The altitude rules will add a lot of complexity, without adding any fun, and will slow the game down. Assume all the planes are in the similar altitude for the scenarios.

2) Play the damage cards upright. It won't detract from the game. It will avoid situations, like Jimmy the newbie, still flying his triplane after taking 40 damage points!

3) Have 2 duplicates of the A damage deck and the B damage deck. Have duplicate copies of the markers (fire, etc.) Have all these belong to a single player, so you don't have to sit there and extract your copy of A deck card 17 from the pile, after the game.

4) Do not use the Aces or Aim special rules. It may be complicated enough herding all those players without worrying about these rules.

5) If possible use 2 (or 3) of the WoW game mats. This represents the "kill zone". Planes that flew outside of the areas contained by the mats cannot shoot or be shot at. They must attempt to return to the "zone" as soon as possible.

6) Try to involve everyone. If someone is shot down, have then restart at the tables edge at the next turn. They must attempt to fly into the "zone" as quick as possible. This may have to be modified by the scenario.

7) Bombers must drop all their bombs when bombing. They must play a stall card, prior to the bombing run.

8) If possible have a Gamesmaster in charge of the game. He can keep the game flowing and make sure everyone has played their turn.

9) If possible, have some interaction between the ground and the planes. It's fun to have AA guns, with trenches, cars and tanks to strafe. The ground forces can be played by the Gamesmaster if available. Of course this would be scenario dependent.

Anyways these are just my opinions, based on previous experience. You don't have to follow any of them. But they could be something to consider. Again, the appropriateness of these considerations are dependent on how many people you get to come out.

Ralph

The Cowman
12-06-2010, 12:36
Saturdays work the best for me, and probably for someone who has to drive some distance, such as Ottawa. So far these Sundays are OK too.

I've run a few of these games at Origins and at the HMGS-East Cons. The biggest games we had was with 8-10 people. When you do a "con" game with the potential with a lot of players, with different experience levels then you want to simplify this game.

With this in mind, for a LARGE game, allow me some suggestions:

1) Do away with the altitude rules. With 8-10 players, the game can easily bog down. The altitude rules will add a lot of complexity, without adding any fun, and will slow the game down. Assume all the planes are in the similar altitude for the scenarios.

2) Play the damage cards upright. It won't detract from the game. It will avoid situations, like Jimmy the newbie, still flying his triplane after taking 40 damage points!

3) Have 2 duplicates of the A damage deck and the B damage deck. Have duplicate copies of the markers (fire, etc.) Have all these belong to a single player, so you don't have to sit there and extract your copy of A deck card 17 from the pile, after the game.

4) Do not use the Aces or Aim special rules. It may be complicated enough herding all those players without worrying about these rules.

5) If possible use 2 (or 3) of the WoW game mats. This represents the "kill zone". Planes that flew outside of the areas contained by the mats cannot shoot or be shot at. They must attempt to return to the "zone" as soon as possible.

6) Try to involve everyone. If someone is shot down, have then restart at the tables edge at the next turn. They must attempt to fly into the "zone" as quick as possible. This may have to be modified by the scenario.

7) Bombers must drop all their bombs when bombing. They must play a stall card, prior to the bombing run.

8) If possible have a Gamesmaster in charge of the game. He can keep the game flowing and make sure everyone has played their turn.

9) If possible, have some interaction between the ground and the planes. It's fun to have AA guns, with trenches, cars and tanks to strafe. The ground forces can be played by the Gamesmaster if available. Of course this would be scenario dependent.

Anyways these are just my opinions, based on previous experience. You don't have to follow any of them. But they could be something to consider. Again, the appropriateness of these considerations are dependent on how many people you get to come out.

Ralph

Having played in one of Ralph's events, I can tell you that this ruleset works very well to keep things simple and moving! Had a blast!

Hey Ralph... I wanna come play... do you think you could drive down and pick me up? ;)

Bruce
12-06-2010, 17:36
Hi Paul
13, 20 or 27 Feb are all good for me. I have to check with my brother to see if he has a preference, but at this time I'm pretty sure he would be able to re-arrange his schedule to attend.
Bruce from Ottawa

Canuck
12-06-2010, 18:06
Lads I have messed up. I thought I was posting the Saturday dates. I have amended my original post to reflect this.

Dates are:

Sat Feb 12
Sat Feb 19
Sat Feb 26

Canuck
12-06-2010, 18:23

Ralph

Note Ralph, I did mean the Saturdays and have amended the dates.

I agree about many of the suggestions you have about keeping things simple - altitude rules, game mats (I have E&W), etc. I have a Deluxe as well as a revised Deluxe edition so should have enough cards (4xA and 2xB) and tokens, plus 5 sets of smoke and flame markers from the Colonel unless we are swamped by players - one can only hope. A GM is something I am working on. Hope to see you there! If I get enought interest from the Aerodrome I wont even bother posting signs in the LGS's.

Would you be interested in being part of the organizing team?

Bruce
12-06-2010, 22:17
Hi Paul
The Sat dates (12, 19, 26 Feb) are also good for me.

CrackerJack
12-07-2010, 07:21
Paul the revised dates are good for me as well.

Brad
Oakville

crhkrebs
12-07-2010, 13:50
Note Ralph, I did mean the Saturdays and have amended the dates.

I agree about many of the suggestions you have about keeping things simple - altitude rules, game mats (I have E&W), etc. I have a Deluxe as well as a revised Deluxe edition so should have enough cards (4xA and 2xB) and tokens, plus 5 sets of smoke and flame markers from the Colonel unless we are swamped by players - one can only hope. A GM is something I am working on. Hope to see you there! If I get enought interest from the Aerodrome I wont even bother posting signs in the LGS's.

Would you be interested in being part of the organizing team?

Ok, it seems that you have sufficient cards and markers, and of course, planes. I have some big metal bombers (1 Gotha and 2 AEG's) to use for any bombing scenarios. I also have some ground stuff and buildings. The bombers use metal pegs for strength and stability and cannot use altitude changes. I'll bring them along, with my mats too.

I'd be happy to assist in any way possible. Being part of the organizing team would be great. The only problem now is dates.

The 12th is a bit close to Valentines Day, and may hinder guys trying to get away on Saturday. Is that a potential problem for some?

The 19th I have my staff Ski/Snowboard weekend up north. Therefore, I can't make it then.

The 26th would be the best for me.

I would recommend that you still contact the LGS's, maybe leave a flyer at the stores.

Ralph

crhkrebs
12-07-2010, 13:57
Hey Ralph... I wanna come play... do you think you could drive down and pick me up? ;)

Cowman,

I'm still wondering when Ohio invaded Maryland and captured Baltimore.:rolleyes:

Good for you guys, you needed a port city on a proper ocean, and not just Lake Erie! I don't know why we didn't read about it, up here in Canada. Damned press!

Ralph

The Cowman
12-07-2010, 16:28
Cowman,

I'm still wondering when Ohio invaded Maryland and captured Baltimore.:rolleyes:

Good for you guys, you needed a port city on a proper ocean, and not just Lake Erie! I don't know why we didn't read about it, up here in Canada. Damned press!

Ralph

Maryland put up a heck of a fight too... but we sent in our commando units of highly trained 2 year olds and took 'em down at the ankles!!!

Columbus is a harbor... no really!! Columbus International Airport is designated CMH... it stands for Columbus Metropolitan Harbor!!! We even have an official "Surf the Scioto River" team too....

Canuck
12-14-2010, 16:15
I'm going in to book the venue when I'm down there for darts tomorrow night. Assuming all dates are available I'm currently leaning towards Sat Feb 26th as that is when most players have indicated they can attend. I'll confirm the booking date once it is done. We can then work out the rest of the details.

Bruce
12-14-2010, 16:53
Excellent.

crhkrebs
12-15-2010, 04:55
Ok, so I'll mark that down in my "Crackberry". Let me know what I can do. I could bring some WW2 Pacific stuff we could try out. Hope that's not too sacrilegious for a WW1 forum.

Bruce, how many of your Ottawa buddies could you wrestle up?

Ralph

Super Handley
12-15-2010, 05:26
Sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad NS wasn't closer :)

Bruce
12-15-2010, 09:52
Hi Ralph. I'm pretty sure that 2 of us will come from my Ottawa gaming group, but I can't be sure until we know the date for sure. Maybe 3 of us.

And, if I were to advertize the event in the LGSs we might get more, but I don't want to do this until you guys in T.O. say so.

Canuck
12-17-2010, 13:54
OK so I have booked the date and there are no conflict at the venue.

Saturday Feb 26th 2011. 9 am to 4 pm.

Address and contact info I have created an event gmail accout I will [damn computer quit] ... communicate more after we get back form Cuba on the 26th. Cheers.

Canuck
01-06-2011, 12:39
[
Hear Ye! Hear Ye!

You are condially invited to attend the GTA WoW Day gaming enent.

Date: Saturday February 26th
Time: 9 AM ish
Locatcation: Lakeshore and Kipling Avenues, Etobicoke, ON

RSVP to the email address above to get exact location and venue entry details. Please let us know which side you would prefer to fly for so we can try and keep things balanced.

Ralph and I look forward to see as many of you as possible at this game event!