PDA

View Full Version : British Columbia MosaiCon - Wings of Glory Appearance

OldGuy59
08-27-2016, 15:11
All Vancouver Island players! MosaiCon 2016 is coming, and Wings of Glory will be there!

10-11 September, 2016

Vancouver Island Conference Centre
101 Gordon St, Nanaimo, BC

Link: MosaiCon 2016 - Programs (http://mosaicon.ca/Programs)
(Scroll down for the Wings of Glory game ads!)

Two games, as I'm sharing the table with Shane [SkyGuy001] and we double-hosting Wings of Glory and X-Wing. Next year, we might do separate tables, and run more games, but we'll see how this year goes.

Saturday: Snoopy vs the Red Baron

Sunday: Battle of Britain - Stop the Bomber Raid

Pictures to follow.

clipper1801
08-27-2016, 16:38
Looks awesome Mike! In a few years I hope to be retired in the northwest and lend some effort your way : )

grumpybear
08-27-2016, 16:40
Looks good Mike ,wish I could be there

OldGuy59
08-30-2016, 13:41
Being that I'm doing these for a few other cons...

OldGuy59
09-04-2016, 23:56
I finally got my hands on the latest release of WGF minis. I'm still recovering from the sticker shock. The LFGS mark-up (driven up by the exchange rate) was brutal. However, my store didn't charge me what the Sentry Box (Calgary's biggest gaming store?) is gouging its clientele for. It would be better to order from Keith, but I am trying to support my local store. Painful.

Nonetheless, now that I have my hands on actual Ares Ace Skill Cards...

[The latest version, with the Con logo, and some potential sponsors]

OldGuy59
09-06-2016, 23:53
Did a little scrounging over the past few days, and I have prize support from Ares (6 Duel Packs in the mail) and the below from Curious Comics in Victoria!

If the Duel Packs make it through Customs and Canada Post (potential strike has been averted or postponed), I will have a bit of bling to hand out, as well as the souvenir cards!

631 Johnson St • Victoria (Main Store)

Curious Too! Game Central (Wings of Glory and gaming tables)
1319 Broad Street • Victoria

Curious Comics Nanaimo
Country Club Centre 8c • 3200 Island Highway • Nanaimo

Boney10
09-07-2016, 00:37
Looks Good Mike,
I hope the con goes well for you

OldGuy59
09-09-2016, 09:44
The Duel Packs from Ares have arrived on time!

Not without a "fondling charge" as some of the UK Wing refer to added PITA border tolls.

Anyway, Fun will be had at MosaiCon! And, now some participants will walk away with more than a pretty card, or two, on Saturday.

Oh. And there are similar WGS versions for Sunday:

clipper1801
09-09-2016, 09:47
I love the take away cards and the whole idea! This should be a paid service for your excellent work! Thanks!

OldGuy59
09-09-2016, 11:51
All the souvenir cards are printed, cut, trimmed, and sleeved. Ready for the Con, tomorrow...

Four games, two each for WGF and WGS. So, we have an Ace and a Bulleye (Bullet Magnet) card for each game, and enough participant cards for all the other participants.

I need more sleeves...

Stumptonian
09-09-2016, 23:51
Good luck, Mike. Awesome effort you have put into this.
:thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2016, 06:56
Yes indeed, I hope you are having a good one Mike.
Rob.

OldGuy59
09-10-2016, 11:06
At the con!

OldGuy59
09-10-2016, 11:48
First game was a bust. No-one wanted to take on the behemoth.

Closed this down early, went to Curious Comics and picked up the prizes for Sunday.

OldGuy59
09-11-2016, 00:48
Snoopy vs the Red Baron

This was well attended, and lots of fun.

First four were (Left to right) Mal Laidlaw (Lothar), Abe Allen (MvR), Sutherland Armburst (Kirschstein) and Mitchell Wager (Snoopy). Not pictured was my assistant, Karen Slater (Elwood).

From the other direction (sorry, no wide angle on my phone). Mal's elbow, Abe, Sutherland, and half of Mitchell.

First, and only victory: Lothar finishing off Elwood, with the assistance of Kirshstein. By this time, Katie Bickrell had joined in, and was flying Barker (top left of image).

The first group had to leave, so I gave out some prizes. First to Mal Laidlaw, for the only victory in the fight, and with no damage taken. Mal gets the Red Baron Duel Pack (provided by Ares!) and the Ace Pilot Skill Card souvenir. Katie is in the background.

Abe Allen take the Bullseye award, and the Baumer/Luke Duel Pack (provided by Ares!).

The Furballs:
The first group had to leave, but I now had another person wanting to jump in. I had time left, so we did some "Everyone for Themselves" dogfighting. Karen Slater flying Elwood, Katie Bickrell flying Barker, and Jonathon Cowan flying MvR

I took a tip from Keith at Origins, and pulled all the "0" (zeros) out of the damage decks. This was short and bloody, with Katie taking out both MvR and Barker with fire damage!

In the previous game, and in this one, Katie was single-minded in her approach, getting seriously stuck in on attacking. She put out the most bullet damage. Karen as a Host Assistant couldn't take the win, having downed both opponents, so the second MvR Duel Pack (More thanks to Ares!) went to Katie.

Jonathan was an awesome sport, and he managed to dig out the big numbers for his fire damage! So, I gave him the Bullseye Award, and the remaining Duel Pack (Yet more thanks to Ares!) for the day.

With a bit more time left, we had at it, again. No "0"s, and everyone had an Ace Skill. I got hit with a short ranged "Perfect Aim", and with no "0"s, that really hurt. I went down first (Flying Kirschstein). Katie was bullet sandwiched between Karen and Jonathon, who then attacked each other. Karen's Itchy Trigger Finger allowed her to fire first, and Jonathon drew the Spiky Zero! Oh! Out came Jonathon's Lucky Pilot Skill. Karen then drew her damage, and she also drew the Spiky Zero! Karen gets taken out!

Great finish to the Furball, and lots of fun. More new people introduced to Wings of Glory.

Even more people to infect with my affliction tomorrow, when I show up with the HMS Glorious.

Stumptonian
09-11-2016, 10:49
First game was a bust. No-one wanted to take on the behemoth.

Closed this down early, went to Curious Comics and picked up the prizes for Sunday.

I would have expect the Zeppelin to be a magnet!
:eek:
Hope to try mine out in a few weeks.

OldGuy59
09-11-2016, 11:23
I would have expect the Zeppelin to be a magnet!
:eek:
Hope to try mine out in a few weeks.
The Zeppelin did generate lots of questions, and got people interested in the game, but they came back for Snoopy in the afternoon.

The same appears to be happening this morning.

This is the first time most people in Nanaimo have seen Wings of Glory. First year events are slow. At BottosCon, my third year I was swarmed. I will probably need a sign-up sheet and a wait list, if I get to BottosCon this year.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-11-2016, 11:52
Looks like a great first day Mike.
I look forward to the Glorious on the morrow.
Rob.

OldGuy59
09-11-2016, 12:00
This was the Battle of Britain set-up for the morning. Have shown four or five people the gaming system, movement and damage. But, no players, yet.

Half hour til the rock band starts up, and I'll have to yell to hear myself think. That is supposed to be over at 2:00 PM, my start time for the Glorious game.

OldGuy59
09-11-2016, 23:15
Well, I survived MosaiCon 2016, but the HMS Glorious didn't. I set it up for a beating, though, so not a surprise.

Defend HMS Glorious

The Set-up:
One Hurricane and one Gladiator on CAP, one each on deck for scramble. Four Bf-109s and two Ju-87s on approach.

A full table! Left to right: We start with half of Jonathan Wagar, a classmate from my North Island College Web Design Certificate program that I hadn't seen in two years. Very nice to see him again. He is flying the CAP Gladiator; Next Mitchell Wager, a return from Saturday, flying a Bf-109; Jack Corrield, new player, winger to Mitchell's Bf-109; Amanda Wagar, Jonathan's sister, looking to take him out in her Bf-109; Abe Allen, return from Saturday, flying winger to Amanda's Bf-109; Mal Laidlaw, another Saturday return, flying a Ju-87; and Katie Bickrell, last returning Saturday player, flying the CAP Hurricane. Karen Slater assisted the Allied side by scrambling a Hurricane off the Glorious flight deck. I took care of the AA.

The first Stuka didn't make it through the final close-in AA barrage, as I hit Mal's plane with five (5) C chits! Mitchell is flying over the aft flight deck straffing the #@*& out of the Glorious. I was using the Octuple turret on him, but he kept surviving the hits. Mal's plane crashed into the waterline of the hull, and did some nasty hull damage to the Glorious with the hydrostatic reverberations.

A close-up of the AA shot, and the crashing Ju-87.

This shows another Bf-109 succumbing to AA fire, but it misses putting a plane-shaped hole in the flight deck. The straffing damage by Mitchell had continued down the aft end, and he got some special damage on a few of his shots, causing serious damage to the rear. The rear elevator is knocked out, so no more respawns of Gladiators.

The cumulative damage from the straffing, the near-miss, and a final point of damage by Mal with a straffing from a respawned Ju-87 took out the Glorious. But nearly all the significant damage was done by Mitchell. I award Mitchell with the Wings of Glory WWII Rules and Accessories Pack (provided by Curious Comics), and the Ace Souvenir card.

Mal Laidlaw is awarded the B-25 Mitchell bomber for doing some serious kill stealing throughout the game, usually putting the final point on a plane, or ship to take them out. Actually, Mal won the D chit random draw by pulling the Spiky Zero for the win!

OldGuy59
09-11-2016, 23:31
WGS Furball

The first table group had to depart, but again, we had time and willing players, so on to another Furball dogfight.

We played a few games, using speed chits to up the complexity (a little bit). Left to Right: Karen Slater flying Snoopy in a Spitfire. Kelsey Watts (from Comox, and from InCON 2015/2016) flying a Bf-109; Abe Allen flying a Beaufighter; I was flying a Hurricane, and Katie Bickrell was flying a Bf-110.

Second spawn of Snoopy, and my second Hurricane, but the Bf-110 didn't survive the close-in damage from Snoopy's return attack. Very shortly, my respawned Hurricane took out Abe's Beaufighter in a revenge shoot-out.

Summary:

Two mornings of boredom, Two afternoons of max flying! Actually, for a first appearance at a Con, a really good result. I am pretty certain that I have planted very vigorously growing seeds of Wings of Glory enthusiasts with at least two or three (maybe five or six) players.

Without Marc Gervais, of Mosaic IT, there wouldn't have been a Con to attend. He was very pro-active and assisted in getting me the space to showcase the game. Can't thank Marc enough. Many thanks to Ares and Curious Comics for the prize support.

Lots of thanks to Karen Slater for coming down from Comox to help me run the games and keep an eye on my gear when I had to run around for Con admin and bio breaks. Last, but not least, thanks to people who stopped by and took a chance to play an unknown game.

Looking forward to MosaiCon 2017!

clipper1801
09-11-2016, 23:59
Well done! I am impressed with all the details and effort it takes to put these shows on! Carry on!

Angiolillo
09-12-2016, 00:09
Great event and great pictures! Can you please post some of them on Boardgamegeek for another audience? Or may I?

Setarius
09-12-2016, 12:03
Congratulations on putting on a good show. Too bad you didn't have any morning takers, but you were there to answer any questions and that is what's important in growing Wings.
Better luck next year.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-12-2016, 12:43
Superb show Mike.
Pity about the Glorious, but at least this one can be resurrected to fight again.
Rob.

OldGuy59
09-12-2016, 15:52
Great event and great pictures! Can you please post some of them on Boardgamegeek for another audience? Or may I?
Andrea, done! Not the full spread, but a taste and a link to this thread.

Mugwump
09-12-2016, 16:06
Looks like fun. Too bad about the morning turnout. Hopefully I'll be able to take the boat across and attend next year.

OldGuy59
09-12-2016, 16:16
Looks like fun. Too bad about the morning turnout. Hopefully I'll be able to take the boat across and attend next year.

Mick,
Perhaps I can get the Financial Advisor to authorize a trip to LANtasy next year in Victoria, and I'll host some games there? 18-19 March, 2017 at Pearkes Arena (LInk: Lantasy.com (https://www.lantasy.com/)).

I'm really not fussed about the lack of players in the morning at a new convention. I'm overjoyed at the full tables in the afternoon, that realistically could have been empty, too. Most people at a con already have ideas about where they are going and what they want to see and do. A brand new game that nobody knows about is not something that distracts newcomers. My saving grace, IMHO, is that MosaiCon is a new con, without established distractions and events.

And, I am fairly certain that I am now the established distraction/destination/event for a few people.

Mugwump
09-12-2016, 18:51
Good stuff. Still kicking myself for turning down a job in Nanaimo last Feb. Vancouver's starting to wear thin. Im planning on running some Wings and Sails at BottosCon this year. Hopefully it'll be a good couple sessions.

Stumptonian
09-12-2016, 19:01
Well done, Mike.
I'll come back to this thread with my rep once it has been spread around a bit.

OldGuy59
09-12-2016, 22:59
Mick,
Perhaps I can get the Financial Advisor to authorize a trip to LANtasy next year in Victoria, and I'll host some games there? 18-19 March, 2017 at Pearkes Arena (LInk: Lantasy.com (https://www.lantasy.com/)).

Good stuff. Still kicking myself for turning down a job in Nanaimo last Feb. Vancouver's starting to wear thin. Im planning on running some Wings and Sails at BottosCon this year. Hopefully it'll be a good couple sessions.

Mick, my apologies, I messed up your location.

I am still working on that trip to BottosCon. I am really interested in trying out your games, as posted on the BottosCon Discussion Group. That and the "Wings of Glory: War of the Worlds" scenario (biplanes versus tripods). If you run your games, and Allan N runs his, there won't be much for me to run. Perhaps just the Dogfight Challenge on Saturday night.

Could you post your game suggestions on the BottosCon 2016 thread? Link: BottosCon 2016 (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?26064-BottosCon-2016&p=419398&viewfull=1#post419398)

Angiolillo
09-13-2016, 01:57
With Marco Maggi and Francesco Nepitello, I have been working on a War of the Worlds scenario myself. It seems that it could even get published with the proper minis.
Some details here:
http://www.gioconomicon.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8772&title=tripodi-e-triplani-la-prima-guerra-mondiale-fu-contro-marte

Mike George
09-13-2016, 06:41
Very nicely done pictures and story line.

Stumptonian
09-13-2016, 20:54
Been interested in WotW since I was 9 or 10.
Especially in the original time as written by H.G. Wells.
Will be following this to see how it progresses.