PDA

View Full Version : New scoring for Origins Event

CappyTom
05-23-2016, 15:24
Practiced my Wildcats vs Zeros and the scoring method used worked out great.

The damage you deal out will be your score for winning an event at my WWII events at Origins 2016. Now if you get a kill you will get an ace ability but if you are shot down you will lose that ability as well. Now if anyone gets shot down they will lose 10 points off their overall score. If you fly off the board you will only lose 5 points. This really is a game changer. Everyone that played love the way it worked out. Can't wait for Origins. Not all my events will have the special ace abilities included.

:sAprvd:
Thomas

Jager
05-23-2016, 15:29
Interesting: instant ace abilities during game play. :slysmile:
Karl

csadn
05-23-2016, 15:35
Karl

Hey, at least people get punished for losing fights....

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-23-2016, 16:33
Lot of book keeping though.

CappyTom
05-23-2016, 19:08
Lot of book keeping though.

Yeah, but I keep the damage tokens and give them out as needed. Then put the info into a spreadsheet or table.

Thomas

CappyTom
05-23-2016, 19:10
Karl

Well I don't see anyone using them now. At least it will introduce ace ablilities to new and old players for future games.

Thomas

Oberst Hajj
05-24-2016, 00:12
Sounds interesting Tom. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out in a Con environment.

milcoll73
05-24-2016, 01:47
Practiced my Wildcats vs Zeros and the scoring method used worked out great.

The damage you deal out will be your score for winning an event at my WWII events at Origins 2016. Now if you get a kill you will get an ace ability but if you are shot down you will lose that ability as well. Now if anyone gets shot down they will lose 10 points off their overall score. If you fly off the board you will only lose 5 points. This really is a game changer. Everyone that played love the way it worked out. Can't wait for Origins. Not all my events will have the special ace abilities included.

:sAprvd:
Thomas

just a little input. itd be nice to score for all firing opportunities for those who manage to maneuver and line up shots but throw around a lot of zeros (ie ME!). i cant count the times where ive lined up more actual shots than my opponent yet get shot down because i cant seal the deal for all the zeros they receive:mad: (in one dogfight my opponent had FIFTEEN ZEROS before i finally finished him off!!!!)

CappyTom
05-24-2016, 02:57
just a little input. itd be nice to score for all firing opportunities for those who manage to maneuver and line up shots but throw around a lot of zeros (ie ME!). i cant count the times where ive lined up more actual shots than my opponent yet get shot down because i cant seal the deal for all the zeros they receive:mad: (in one dogfight my opponent had FIFTEEN ZEROS before i finally finished him off!!!!)

LOL Your aim is off...it will improve.

Thomas

milcoll73
05-24-2016, 09:35
LOL Your aim is off...it will improve.

Thomas

thats what i keep telling myself lol ;)

tikkifriend
05-24-2016, 09:39
Perhaps we could use the new rules at Doncaster this year ?

matt56
05-24-2016, 13:29
I was looking for some advice on how to 'score' my scenarios and was thinking something along these lines. I'm glad you've tried it and it works, Tom! I shall plan on using it myself with my WWI games.

All the best,
Matt

CappyTom
05-24-2016, 13:50
I was looking for some advice on how to 'score' my scenarios and was thinking something along these lines. I'm glad you've tried it and it works, Tom! I shall plan on using it myself with my WWI games.

All the best,
Matt

Let me know how you like it. The biggest complaint I had before using this scoring system was "I put all those shots into him/her and then this guy gets the kill. LOL Now you have to get in the thick of it and stay alive to benefit from the ace abilities. Or not to lose points. It is more bookkeeping but once we get use to it it will become second nature.

Thomas

Naharaht
05-24-2016, 18:14
Do you use the 'Boom' chit? If you do, how many points does it score? If you start a fire in your opponent's machine, do you only score the initial damage or are you also credited with the fire damage in subsequent turns?

CappyTom
05-24-2016, 18:46
Do you use the 'Boom' chit? If you do, how many points does it score? If you start a fire in your opponent's machine, do you only score the initial damage or are you also credited with the fire damage in subsequent turns?

I give the points remaining on the plane being shot down. So if the plane had zero damage you would get the total value of the plane in points. If the plane has 3 hit points left you only would get 3 points. I hope this explains it.

Thomas

Oberst Hajj
05-25-2016, 01:57
What about fire damage Tom? The more I think about his system, the more I like it. I'm just concerned about the amount of book keeping for larger events. How many people/planes were used in your test game?

CappyTom
05-25-2016, 02:15
What about fire damage Tom? The more I think about his system, the more I like it. I'm just concerned about the amount of book keeping for larger events. How many people/planes were used in your test game?

Fire does not go to any pilot. Just the shots fired.

Thomas

CappyTom
05-25-2016, 02:30

There was only 6 pilots in the test. The main thing is to keep the damage with you, when they take their damage you record the total amount for the pilot that shot.

Oberst Hajj
05-25-2016, 04:47
Fire does not go to any pilot. Just the shots fired.

Thomas

That makes that part of it easier.

There was only 6 pilots in the test. The main thing is to keep the damage with you, when they take their damage you record the total amount for the pilot that shot.

So damage is no longer hidden. If you keep the damage chits, how does the player know when they are shot down? Do they also have to keep a tally or are you also keeping track of the damage to each plane as well?

Naharaht
05-25-2016, 09:56
As I see it, to keep damage secret, either each player must keep a secret list recording how much damage their plane receives from each enemy or all damage chits must go through a neutral referee, who does all the bookkeeping.

CappyTom
05-25-2016, 12:07
That makes that part of it easier.

So damage is no longer hidden. If you keep the damage chits, how does the player know when they are shot down? Do they also have to keep a tally or are you also keeping track of the damage to each plane as well?

No damage is still hidden. I will let each player take the damage they get. Then I will look at it and jot down the amount on my nook or tablet. This will keep the players involved in getting their damage. I use a double damage with only half the zeros in each.

Thomas

milcoll73
05-25-2016, 22:54
"with only half the zeros in each."

i like that:D!!! i likr that very, very much:p!!!!!

Oberst Hajj
05-26-2016, 21:26
I use a double damage with only half the zeros in each.

Thomas

And I'm know for pulling all the zeros out of the decks. lol

CappyTom
05-27-2016, 02:31
And I'm know for pulling all the zeros out of the decks. lol

It does make the game more exciting. I leave half just to give the chance for a miss.

:guns:
Thomas