PDA

View Full Version : AAR FIS PTO 2 - To Even the Odds - January 1942 , teaticket

Teaticket
05-05-2016, 11:22
The Japanese Army was advancing into Burma. Control of the air was an issue as the Flying Tigers were occasionally present harassing the advancing columns. Toma Seiko and Hiroshi Matsui were flying CAP over one of the advance columns. Most of the time the column could not be seen in the dense jungle but they were quite vulnerable when they crossed an open plane.

Toma, a seasoned pilot that had flown in China, led the pair. As the column crossed the plane Toma spotted 3 enemy planes zeroing in on the column.
“Hiroshi, attack any planes that go after the infantry, I will engage their cover.”
“Yes Sir,” Hiroshi answered.
“Remember, stay to their rear. After I down the cover I will jump in with you.”
“Yes Sir.”

One of the P-40s flew straight towards the pair of Zeros while the other two glided downwards towards the column on the trail.

Toma gets the attention of the cover and exchanges fire at close range. Toma’s old Zero
bounces in the air as it absorbs the incoming 50 cal rounds. His controls lock up as the P-40 zoomz past.

The first Flying Tiger begins to spray the column at long range.

Hiroshi attacks from the flank on a strafing Tiger that does not see him coming.

The first Tiger heavily damages the company of Japanese soldiers but as the unit scatters, a lucky shot hits the fuel tank after ricocheting off the engine with devastating result. Score one for the infantry!

Hiroshi stays on the tail of the Tiger and scores more damage. The wounded American is slow to go into evasive maneuvers.

Toma finally regains control and turns in to support Hiroshi as the American cover over shoots and is far enough away.

Toma was in a good position. The cover had guessed wrong and now he and Hiroshi could concentrate on the ground attack plane.
“Stay on your target,” Toma called to Hiroshi.
“Yes Sir,” came back from Hiroshi.

As the Tiger attacked the 2nd Infantry Company the Zeros closed in.

Toma cut in and finished off the Tiger but sadly after it had mauled another infantry company.

The covering P-40 flew straight towards the Zeros with a vengeance.
“Do not engage until after I have his attention,” Toma ordered Hiroshi.
“Yes Sir.”

Toma knew attacking head on was a bad idea but he had an idea and Hiroshi should be in position to help.

Toma flew in fast and the American got in a second shot.

Toma knew the American would do as in his first pass so he set him up to reverse right on his tail. The American burst into flames.

The American tried the same tactic on Toma but Toma flew right under him.

The American now tried to escape but his riddled plane could not survive the fire.

Toma and Hiroshi scan the sky and see no more enemy. They pass over the column waving their wings as they head back to base before they run low on fuel.

“Well flown Hiroshi! We must celebrate with some Saki when we land.”

“Yes Sir Flight Commander. That was exciting. You flew like winged victory! The enemy cannot win with you in the sky! The Emperor will smile when he hears of your victory. When th”…

“Hiroshi, ….be quite”.

Butcher’s Bill

Hiroshi Matsui RTB 0 kills successful rookie flight

Toma Seiko RTB 2 kills

Infantry column 2 Companied put out of action, 1 untouched

Tiger A SD EXP

Tiger 2 SD

Covering Tiger SD FLM

A Japanese aerial victory but ground forces reduced for the offensive.

Blackronin
05-06-2016, 00:51
Excellent AAR, Peter!
The photos are amazing.
Unfortunately I cannot give you REP yet.

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-06-2016, 14:54
Scenery outstanding, REP, another great AAR Peter. Spreadsheet amended. Had to re-read this a few times to see who shot the 3rd P40 down, nice shooting by the infantry.

Teaticket
05-06-2016, 15:03
Scenery outstanding, REP, another great AAR Peter. Spreadsheet amended. Had to re-read this a few times to see who shot the 3rd P40 down, nice shooting by the infantry.

Thanks Neil.

I should have mentioned in the Butcher's Bill that the infantry blasted the first P-40, and also that the fire Toma started finished off the last one. :embarrass:

Yeah, the scenery was lacking. (but the column was crossing an open plane!) I am living between 3 houses and never have access to what I'd like. I'd rather play a scenario than wait 2 weeks so to have the better props. I'll try to plan ahead better in the future.

Lt. S.Kafloc
05-07-2016, 00:12
I thought your 3d scenery was great Peter. Unless you had a thousand trees for the jungle that is. I played mine around paddy fields and a ruined church. Very open.

Teaticket
05-07-2016, 07:31
I thought your 3d scenery was great Peter. Unless you had a thousand trees for the jungle that is. I played mine around paddy fields and a ruined church. Very open.

I do haver a fair number of palm trees I wanted to use around the clearing but they were 6 hours away, as were all my other bits of terrain. Paddies would have been nice to flesh out the plane a bit. Next time....