PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk anyone?

=Binks=
10-21-2010, 12:24
Anyone else like steampunk n think it would make a good spin-off?
Lots of airships and other unreliable machines :)

Flying Officer Kyte
10-21-2010, 12:27
Only if I can use my Dwarfs with there anti aircraft steam cannon.:p
Rob.

AlgyLacey
10-21-2010, 12:31
I've just taken delivey of Victoriana 2nd ed. Russian Wyverns vs British ornithopters - hmmn

KiltedWolf
10-21-2010, 15:23
Interesting concept for a spin-off; I like it!

Could open up the door to those who see this game as too historical and populated by too many over the age of 40! ;-) While I do enjoy the historical aspect of the game, Steampunk would be a blast, what with the merging of technologies. Hmmm...

Cheers!

Horse4261
10-21-2010, 18:39
Very interesting idea. Those RE8s already look like they are coal-fired with their exhausts raising before the upper wing.

Hmm, clock-worked Fokker DR1s sounds just about right.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-22-2010, 02:31
Very interesting idea. Those RE8s already look like they are coal-fired with their exhausts raising before the upper wing.

Hmm, clock-worked Fokker DR1s sounds just about right.
Tell me that this is not just a wind up.:D In what way do clockwork aircraft even compete with the superior steam driven giants of the R.S.F.C.
Rob.

Guntruck
10-22-2010, 02:39
We once did 28mm steam punk American Civil War - steam tanks that looked like predecessors of the A7V, one man pedal powered tanks, steam powered quad Gatling guns to defend against Union rocket men. All good fun.

Flying Officer Kyte
10-22-2010, 07:28
We once did 28mm steam punk American Civil War - steam tanks that looked like predecessors of the A7V, one man pedal powered tanks, steam powered quad Gatling guns to defend against Union rocket men. All good fun.
Aw Major, you been at the moonshine agin?
:)
Rob.

Guntruck
10-22-2010, 10:19
Aw Major, you been at the moonshine agin?
:)
Rob.

That came later after the games. Actually won a prize at one of the Wargames shows one year if I remember correctly.

Charlie3
10-22-2010, 10:29
I want to use the armor plated zepplins to cause fear in the hearts of the masses!!

=Binks=
10-22-2010, 12:33
Only if I can use my Dwarfs with there anti aircraft steam cannon.:p
Rob.

If you play by my rules then dwarfs n steam cannons are all good.
Also wot about clockwork wasp like insects that can be set loose to take down ships ;) also magnesium bullets for night missions ect, ooo n Gnome engineers :)...i cud go on all night with my steampunk ideas :P

Hamburger
11-21-2010, 11:25
I'm Game! Will there be flying islands kept aloft by steam engines, and flying boats, airships, ornithopters, and boat hulls with blimps attached to the top? Please, no magic or fairy-tale creatures (dwarves, goblins) and kept in Victorian England.

Attila57
11-21-2010, 23:11
Look at Leviathan novel of Scott Westerfeld. There are some interesting ideas and nice pictures.

Attilio

Hamburger
11-22-2010, 06:02
But is there magic or fairy-tale creatures.... I can't stand those books, had to read the Hobbit in 6th grade and totally hated it.

Charlie3
11-23-2010, 10:27
Here is my entry - A French Airship of the Line:D

AlgyLacey
11-23-2010, 14:52
But is there magic or fairy-tale creatures.... I can't stand those books, had to read the Hobbit in 6th grade and totally hated it.

Westerfield limits himself to "The Frankenstein Corps" and "vivisects" - though they're set i the late 1990s (yes Nineteen nineties) - No magic.

Victoriana probably isn't for you then - Shadowrun with top hats and bustles.:D

Try Forgotten Futures though http://www.forgottenfutures.com/ - no gobboes or anything.;)

AlgyLacey
11-23-2010, 14:56
And the Vickers Airship catalogue too! 192- the real deal! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/forgottenfutures/vickers/vickers.htm

MayorJim
11-24-2010, 13:28
Aargh! I thought "Steam Punk" was a rock band :eek:

chris.cymru
12-30-2010, 11:49
i am drooling over this game.
Dystopian wars (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85652/dystopian-wars)

csadn
12-30-2010, 15:09

Speaking as someone with a _Space:1889_/_Richthofen's War_ crossover in his files.... >:)

Jager
01-02-2011, 09:55
Speaking as someone with a _Space:1889_/_Richthofen's War_ crossover in his files.... >:)

Really...care to share some details?
Karl

csadn
01-03-2011, 15:17
Really...care to share some details?
Karl

Well, fortunately, the conversions for distance and time were simple enough -- 4 RW turns to 3 S1889 turns. The real problem, tho', is: WW1 acft. didn't really have any weapons to deal with armored ships, except for bombs (and those did as much damage using water-hammer effect from near-misses as from hits -- and air doesn't get the w-h effect); thus, _RW_ acft. don't really do a whole lot when the aerial cruisers show up. So I had to look up stats for late-war Torpedo Bombers -- in this case, using the Smutts Aerial Torpedoes from _S1889_ -- as well as the acft. depicted in _FotG_; nothing else could carry the firepower needed to deal with aerial cruisers.

In a way, it was easier to do the sequel -- a _S1889_/_Crimson Skies_ crossover.... >:)

Charlie3
01-03-2011, 16:52
Well, fortunately, the conversions for distance and time were simple enough -- 4 RW turns to 3 S1889 turns. The real problem, tho', is: WW1 acft. didn't really have any weapons to deal with armored ships, except for bombs (and those did as much damage using water-hammer effect from near-misses as from hits -- and air doesn't get the w-h effect); thus, _RW_ acft. don't really do a whole lot when the aerial cruisers show up. So I had to look up stats for late-war Torpedo Bombers -- in this case, using the Smutts Aerial Torpedoes from _S1889_ -- as well as the acft. depicted in _FotG_; nothing else could carry the firepower needed to deal with aerial cruisers.

In a way, it was easier to do the sequel -- a _S1889_/_Crimson Skies_ crossover.... >:)What no rockets?

csadn
01-05-2011, 15:35
What no rockets?

In _S1889_, Rockets are Armor-Penetration 0 -- useless against any aerial cruiser with period-correct armor.

Jager
01-06-2011, 03:08
I wonder if you could make rules to add a "wing" of liftwood for the planes; added climb ability :cool:
Karl

jbmacek
01-06-2011, 13:47
Sitting here eying my copy of Sky Galleons of Mars and wondering what sort of mischief could come from mixing the two games.

csadn
01-06-2011, 15:49
I wonder if you could make rules to add a "wing" of liftwood for the planes; added climb ability

I considered that -- however, canonically, Liftwood Is Rare, so it gets reserved for the aerial cruisers and related. (For the _Crimson Skies_/_S1889_ crossover, I did consider the notion of "LATO units" -- Liftwood-Assisted Take-Off :) -- as based on the Invention curve in _S1889_, by then Synthetic Liftwood should be available.)

Sitting here eying my copy of Sky Galleons of Mars and wondering what sort of mischief could come from mixing the two games.

Well ahead of you there, partner.... >;)

As noted: There is a serious problem with WW1 acft. -- they simply do not have any weapons which can damage a front-line aerial cruiser. In essence, anything with _S1889_ Armor Value 2 or higher is immune to aircraft. So there's really not a lot of interaction between the two (and if you're like me, and every petty officer and deckhand has a Maxim MG... >:) ). In Reality, it wasn't until after WW1 that bombers became a serious threat to surface-combat ships.

I'll have to take a closer look at the more-advanced armor rules in _Ironclads and Ether Flyers_, to see if this would allow aerial cruisers to have some weaknesses for the acft. to exploit; in Reality, it was the fact that ship designers shorted Deck Armor which allowed bombers to do as much damage as they did (who knew a method would be devised to cause attacks to come in at 90 degrees?).

HardRock
01-07-2011, 23:32
I would be mighty pleased with a conversion of Sky Galleons to WoW manuever cards and style of play. That would be a Blast (Steam?)!

csadn
01-08-2011, 14:12
I would be mighty pleased with a conversion of Sky Galleons to WoW manuever cards and style of play. That would be a Blast (Steam?)!

There's not much to it, really. Aerial cruisers move maybe 1/2 what fighters do, and are rather more cumbersome; so the aerial cruiser card is the same size as the plane card, but only moves once per turn, in the first movement segment, and has to revel its movement before any acft. do. This isn't that big a deal, tho', as the only movements the aerial cruiser can make is the stall, and Turning Stall, cards from the Fokker D.VII deck; so it's pretty easy for the acft. to work out what the cruiser will do. For targeting, regardless of what rules are used for acft., cruisers are always "if the ruler touches the card, it's within that range". (If an acft. card ever overlaps a cruiser card, the acft. is destroyed automatically; the cruiser is unaffected.) Firepower is simple enough: MGs provide a B-deck draw; HRC and other quick-firers provide an A-deck draw; anything bigger draws from the FlAK deck (can't recall if that's C or D) -- this usually means a single acft. entering firing range gets chopped to pieces in one turn, so bring your friends... and their friends... and *their* friends.... :)

HardRock
01-08-2011, 22:27
Actually, I was thinking of just a conversion of Sky Galleons to WoW 1889 style. For Sky Galleon on Sky Galleon combat.

jbmacek
01-09-2011, 05:59
Exactly what I was thinking too. It seems like it would be really easy to do, grafting the movement rules for WoW onto SGoM. Really, in the simplest sense all that would need to be done would be to come up with firing arcs for the ships, and deciding what maneuver decks would be assigned to each vessel.

csadn
01-09-2011, 14:37
Exactly what I was thinking too. It seems like it would be really easy to do, grafting the movement rules for WoW onto SGoM. Really, in the simplest sense all that would need to be done would be to come up with firing arcs for the ships, and deciding what maneuver decks would be assigned to each vessel.

The problem is: Aerial cruisers weigh in at upwards of 2,400 *tons*, and move at around 50 MPH; the smallest units *might* be able to manage 90 MPH, but are too small to do much more than sneak-and-peek. And *none* of them, of any size, handle worth a darn.

If you want gridless movement, pick up _Ironclads and Ether Flyers_; it has rules for such.

HardRock
01-10-2011, 01:45
It's not like it something real. I know I could get people playing because they like WoW, rather than learning another set of rules. Which is the point, to me anyway. Aerial gunboats is something they would like, heck, they'd play penguin attack if there were manuever decks.

jbmacek
01-10-2011, 04:08
heck, they'd play penguin attack if there were manuever decks.

Ping!!! You hit the nail on the head.

Charlie3
01-10-2011, 08:05
Because of the ship size and speed differences how about 1 C or L deck maneuver card per Game Turn (3 maneuvers to a turn) played on the second maneuver phase, for the bigger ships and the normal 3 card flight sytem for the smaller ones using D or N decks. Stalls are not considered difficult and are just reductions in speed, and keep all the weapon and targeting rules? It has been a long time since I played SGoM but I seem to remember that the combat system was good.

csadn
01-10-2011, 16:49
Because of the ship size and speed differences how about 1 C or L deck maneuver card per Game Turn (3 maneuvers to a turn) played on the second maneuver phase, for the bigger ships and the normal 3 card flight sytem for the smaller ones using D or N decks. Stalls are not considered difficult and are just reductions in speed, and keep all the weapon and targeting rules? It has been a long time since I played SGoM but I seem to remember that the combat system was good.

I tried something like that, but it didn't really communicate just how ponderous even a small aerial cruiser would be compared to an airplane. An aerial cruiser is a Boat Which Flies -- it isn't really designed to do much more than move straight, corner a bit every so often, and change altitude. An airplane is supposed to be able to maneuver (a fact which seems to have escaped certain designers... :) ). The AC makes up for its general inability to flee or dodge by carrying a metric [CENSORED]load of firepower; a single fighter engaging a single AC is going to get swatted like the impertinent insect it is.

The combat system for _SGoM_ had to deal with something _WoW_ doesn't have to: Armor. Lots of It. Some of it Metal, some stone or brick. This is why I mentioned most _RW_ units didn't really work well in the crossover; they didn't have any weapons capable of punching through even thin metal armor. _WoW_ units -- same deal; even the massed 0.30s of a Staaken won't do anything to an AC.

pivole
02-22-2011, 11:46
Not to dig up a dead thread, but anyone played steambirds? It's across various pieces of Internet, and not too bad.