PDA

View Full Version : Boudwin's Se5a "error" in Series IV

MayorJim
10-18-2010, 18:32
Not sure if any one caught this...have to confess that I did not. There is a small error on Boudwin's Se5a model. Per Andrea Angiolino, the plane should probably be a "B" firing instead of an "A" firing plane; since "...planes of the 25th Aero Squadron received the second machinegun, the one on the upper wing, only just after the war ended in November 1918."

Here's the link to his explanation: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/573540/boudwins-se5a-and-the-two-airplane-cards

rkhlegacy
10-19-2010, 04:17
Don't feel bad Jim, I did not catch it either. I just thought Boudwin's model had an extra card by accident. I never even looked for a difference. Thanks for pointing it out.

flash
10-21-2010, 01:30
My mates just bought one - he'll be gutted when I tell him ! - but don't feel too bad as Bishops plane isn't accurate either; photo's I've seen in Osprey books show no 'hump' behind the cockpit and a 2 bladed prop ! :eek:

chub
10-21-2010, 14:53
Just to comfirm, I use the A deck when playing right?

flash
10-21-2010, 15:14
Yep A deck it is - unless you chop the Lewis gun off of Boudwin's kite as the guys suggest it should be then it would be the B deck :(

Angiolillo
11-04-2012, 18:08
The idea has been to leave the choice to players. The ones who want to play historical, or who could need a B-firing Se5a to balance a scenario, can use them as a B-firinng plane. The ones who want to play a what-if scenario (what if US planes got all the machineguns they needed in time? what about a post november 1918 scenario?) or just need another A firing Se5a can use it as an A firing one.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-05-2012, 01:39
Having flown Albert Ball's Nieuport down gunned for years now,(a bad error on my part):mad: I would suggest that you use the full might of your American aircraft unless you are a total authenticity person.:thumbsup: Why should our American friends be handicapped in a sortie just because they were in the actual war. Remember we are playing for FUN with plastic planes and cards.:clap:
Rob.

Naharaht
11-05-2012, 04:44
I thought the Boudwin model did come with two aeroplane cards, one with a B and one with an A, or am I thinking of a different model?

Angiolillo
11-05-2012, 05:35
No, it's that one.

Flying Officer Kyte
11-05-2012, 06:32
I thought the Boudwin model did come with two aeroplane cards, one with a B and one with an A, or am I thinking of a different model?

:thumbsup:Yes you are absolutely correct Dave, as Andrea pointed out in post 6 of this thread.
He wanted to give the option that I advocated in my post.
Rob.

Naharaht
11-06-2012, 21:28
I have the advantage/disadvantage that my model has a loose Lewis gun. So I can easily convert from one version to the other but I have to be careful that I do not lose the gun. (Of course Shapeways do sell spare Lewis guns.)

Angiolillo
11-06-2012, 21:36
If they did so in 1918, US pilots would not have to fly underpowered. ;)

csadn
11-07-2012, 12:48
If they did so in 1918, US pilots would not have to fly underpowered. ;)

Or, indeed, most of the Entente. (You'll note my avatar is the 2-gun Hanriot -- There Is A Reason For This. :) )

Angiolillo
11-07-2012, 13:03
"I observed that the most frequent jammings were due to defective bullets: I took all care, then, in the composition of belts, that I prepared myself, sometimes even reaching a discard of 65%-70%.
For absolute safety I became convinced of the need of two machineguns.
With the patient Botter, I studied their set on a out-of-service airplane: after the first successes in experiments, I applied with no hesitation a second weapon on my plane and, after that day, I never had to complain for any jamming.
The Headquartiers that reproached my act as an abuse, after all got persuaded that, in the end, If I stole an additional machinegun from the warehouse, it was not so serious..."
(Silvio Scaroni, "Impressioni e ricordi di guerra aerea", Turin 1922)

While Coppens gave up quickly the idea of a second MG on his HD-1, Scaroni was the first Italian to do that. Scoring 9 victories in 3 weeks with his modified plane (the yellow one that was on WoW - Watch your back! cover and that will be soon a Wings of Glory pack) pushed several Italian aces to add a second MG to their own HD-1s.