PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Axis pre campaign mission

Warhawk
01-13-2016, 19:47
"It seems a shame that the rest of our unit gets to participate in such a noble undertaking without us." CPO Daichi Motoyoshi muttered under his breath.

Chui Akio Shimamura pretended not to hear what he would typically brand as an insubordinate comment. He believed each mission to be important to the war effort no matter how little glory might be had. "We will regroup with our unit soon, there is important work to do here though"

The day of the all out attack had come and the two pilots had a small (albeit important) mission to carry out.

They approached the island and lined up to strafe the enemy planes on the ground, tightening their formation to bring all their guns to bear.

An Anti Aircraft gun chattered into action, quicker than the pilots had expected. The shots went wide, perhaps a warning? They pressed their attack and attacked the lone F4F that was in the air.

Flying past each other Akio saw fire emerge from the US plane, he gave the order to drop bombs so as to lighten their load and give them the maneuverability necessary for a dogfight. The bombs landed directly on the AA position putting it out of action.

Chui Akio Shimamura, free of the load, turned around with an Immelmann to meet the enemy head on. The American seemed intent on taking out his wingman however, paying seemingly no attention to the threat directly in front of him nor to the fire doing damage to his aircraft.

Then to his horror he watched as his wingmans plane burst into flames and started shedding its wing. Down went Motoyoshi's plane.

Akio began turning hard to try and get a bead on the American, the fire had undoubtedly done damage but he was still in the air and it seemed the fire had gone out now.

He didn't get the proper angle and instead strafed a ground target. He noticed that the ground crews were working hard to protect the planes and without bombs it would soon be impossible to destroy the F4F's.

Flying past with a near collision gave Akio time to get a bead on one of the parked planes and it blew apart with the heavy cannon rounds.

One more Immelmann turn put him on the tail of the American plane once more and his aim was true.

Looking around Chui Akio Shimamura noticed that the planes had been substantially reinforced and as he was getting low on fuel it was time to return to base. He began the lonely flight home.

Butchers tally

CPO Daichi Motoyoshi/SD ET/EXP 1 shared AA gun destroyed

Chui Akio Shimamura RTB/ 1 Kill, 1 aircraft destroyed on ground, 1 shared AA gun destroyed.

Warhawk
01-13-2016, 20:02
Oh please try to ignore my bloopers, mainly the Wildcats jumping around in the photos. Was more difficult than I thought it would be using them as targets instead of cards.

Marechallannes
01-14-2016, 01:11
Nice first mission. :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
01-14-2016, 01:56
Very neatly done Wes.
I liked your commentary.
Rob.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-14-2016, 02:36
Well done Wes I'll get to putting up the results ASAP. Your on the board now, all you have to do is fly the other missions with the same gusto and we'll be back on top....oh we still are, forgot that.

Blackronin
01-14-2016, 04:00
Excellent first mission!
REP!
Now I want to leave my work and go home and play a PTO solo mission!

Warhawk
01-14-2016, 04:16
Thanks for the comments gentlemen.
It's off to Pearl next!

Teaticket
01-14-2016, 06:02
Great first mission Wes. I hope to do this one this weekend.

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-14-2016, 06:08
Well it looks like the IJN is fully functional again, now where are those elusive USN and Allied pilots?

Lt. S.Kafloc
01-14-2016, 06:25
"We were side by side as we approached the enemy airfield. Motoyoshi was on my left. The enemy had 1 aircraft airbourne and Motoyoshi poured heavy fire into it. Motoyoshi continued as I turned and engaged the American who had also turned. The American ignored me and fired into Motoyoshi. Motoyoshi never knew what happened. The deadly fire from the Wildcat ripped through his starboard wing. His tight turn to starboard increased the stress on that wing and it just flipped back and his zero spun uncontrolled into the ground. At that height Motoyoshi had no chance to bail out.
I managed to shoot down the American and low on fuel I returned to the carrier."
"A good report Shimamura. A pity but he died with honour".
"Hai, I was glad to avenge him."

Warhawk
01-14-2016, 07:33
Thanks for the report Neil. I didn't think he could make it out of that one. First casualty already, might be a long war but our resolve will not be broken.

Warhawk
01-14-2016, 08:08
Great first mission Wes. I hope to do this one this weekend.

It was a fun one to fly. Though if I may make a suggestion, destroy that enemy fighter quicker than I did. Once he was on fire I half expected that to down him and it came back to bite me ;).