PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Or Rather BOB At RAF Cosford ...

Tonx
01-11-2016, 06:24
Wow! Or rather one of the latest exhibits on display at the RAF Museum Cosford in the shape of Bob. This is the former 101 Sq RAF Vickers VC10 XR808 (hence Bob) which ended it's days as a refuelling tanker two years ago. She was flown to Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire post-decommissioning and then roaded to RAF Cosford in four consignments.

By the Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary celebrations last year Bob was alongside Hangar 2 at the museum under assembly. But the decision has been taken to roll her back from that location and plant her by the Hercules at a spot near to the actual airfield. Thought this General Discussions section was best for launching a VC10 posting with the following photos which I have had sent to me.

Note: Bruntingthorpe still has VC10 ZA147 / N in fully-working order and it is able to perform high-speed taxi runs.

flash
01-12-2016, 11:25
Always liked the VC10, a great aircraft by all accounts.

David Manley
01-12-2016, 11:43
Structurally beautifully over designed, which is why they (a) lasted forever and (b) made good tankers. I had a lovely day climbing through one in pieces at Brize when I was a trainee. A curse on BOAC for killing the wide bodied Super VC-10!

Tonx
01-12-2016, 14:31
One of my favourite memories about living in Loughborough was the number of VC10s which used to pass over there between their base at Brize and Lincolnshire MTA (Military Training Area.)

Due to their Entry Point being close to Winthorpe (Newark Air Museum area) they would also pass over Bingham in Nottinghamshire where somebody I know used to live. Could always tell when it was a VC10 passing over instead of a TriStar tanker as her dog used to pick up on the noise and go crazy!

The entry point I believe is known as The Staffords for some reason though it is not marked on any civil aviation sectional maps of the area or the general map of the UK. Still there today though it's the Airbus A330-200 Voyager aircraft which use it now.

Naharaht
01-15-2016, 09:34
Good pictures, Tonx! :thumbsup: