PDA

View Full Version : My first After Action Report

BryanR
10-13-2010, 20:51
I have finally played my first game of WoW. After having the game for a few years.

I met up with Al_Kenobi, who Texas Squadron Commander Coog found for me on this site, at a popular game store here in San Antonio called Dragon's Lair.

We used minis and Al had a WoW playmat that we played on. It was a lot nicer than a bare tabletop.

For the first dogfight, Al took Werner Voss's Albatros D.III, an I had Gervais Lufbery's Nieuport 17.

The battle lasted for several turns, and we both had about 4 damage cards each when I drew the explosion card. The damage cards I had received were 5,4,2,Explosion.

The second and third dogfights, Al had Manfred von Richthofen's Fokker DR.1 and I had Aubrey Beauclerk Ellwood's Sopwith Camel.

The second and third battles were noticeably different then the first battle, as the aircraft were quite different performance wise.

The second dogfight I also lost by drawing the explosion card. My damage cards were 4,5,4,1,Explosion. Al had 0,0,0,1.

The third dogfight, I finally won a game because Al drew the explosion card. I forget the damage card layout of the last game, but it was pretty even if I remember correctly.

I enjoyed finally being able to play, and I'd like to thank Al for taking the time to game with me.

I enjoyed how the planes perform so differently and the effect it had on our tactics.

rkhlegacy
10-13-2010, 20:55
Hey Bryan, it sounds like you guys had a good time. Well as good a time as you can have drawing the explosion card two games in a row.:eek:

KiltedWolf
10-13-2010, 22:34
Most excellent, glad you enjoyed the game! Yes, the explosion card can be a "killer"! I shot down my squadron mate on the first shot with an explosion card; got three kills that game before his rudder jammed and he flew into me, sending me to ground!

Cheers!

DaveZee
10-13-2010, 22:42
Great to hear about you getting your planes in the air, even if the dreaded explosion reared its ugly head! :) Seems like you are moving up the performance food chain for the Allies. Give the Snipe a shot when you have the chance... It's so fun!

Pope
10-14-2010, 01:09
Hi Bryan,

Glad you got your first game in of WoW, the explosion card seemed to enjoy the game between you and Al_Kenobi. Thanks for a great write up and hope you start to get more games in.

I think your case is a good example of how the site is a great resouce for gamers, in that it provides loads of info for download along with the chance to meet other gamers not only in the virtual world but in real life.

Cheers Aled

Flying Officer Kyte
10-14-2010, 02:20
Thanks for the report Bryan. I look forward to hearing more about your progress in the future.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-14-2010, 03:19
Bryan, glad the site could connect you with a local player! That has been one of my main goals of the site since I started it about a year and a half ago. Not an easy thing to do over the internet!

The explosion card can be cruel, but it sounds like you might be getting it out of your system early!

Coog
10-14-2010, 08:02
Great to hear the game went well. Hopefully this is the first of many with some new folks joining in along the way. Sooner or later I'll make it back to San Antonio and You, Al, and I can get up a game while I'm there.

Wolfbiter
10-14-2010, 08:16
Bravo on being a good sport after drawing the explosion card twice in a row...that's rough!

When playing with first-time pilots, I generally prefer taking the boom card out of the deck altogether...I like to give the pilots some flying experience before introducing them to the less pleasant world of special damage. :D

Hope you are enjoying the game and good luck with future sorties!

Goering Ace
10-14-2010, 15:13
Great report, Bryan. If it's any consolation, based on the damage you had before the explosion card was drawn, you likely would have died soon after anyways, especially considering the luck your opponent was having!! It looked alot like what happens to me when I play against my son, except we remove the explosion cards from the decks. I was glad to see you finally had some good luck in the third sortie. I look forward to reading about your future missions as you explore the different planes. If you're trying a new plane for the first time, check out my "Sticky" at the top of the General Discussions forum entitled Tactical Walk Through of Aircraft. Might help you out before you go into battle. :)

Scott