PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Solo; Doolittle Raid Interception

Warhawk
12-19-2015, 09:19
This morning I had some time to play a solo match and decided to try a little "what if" historical fiction to use the new B-25 I got several months ago.

"Do you think it's true sir?" Si Daisuke Osaragi broke radio silence. Although it had not been ordered, the two pilots had maintained it ever since scrambling. Each of them were deep in thought on the impact the news had on the war effort. "I can't say for sure, but if it is, we'll find them and teach them a lesson" CI Kenta Kusuhara replied. It was not a conventional Combat Air patrol but the two pilots were all that could cover the area, with many different reports coming in a number of planes had taken off to find the US bombers that had just raided the Japanese Homeland.

"There, do you see that in the distance? 12'oclock, break right, we'll go from either side, check your fire and make sure it's an enemy before shooting" Kusuhara said over the radio. Osaragi complied.

As they approached the bomber the two pilots went silent again, each of them focused on the potential kill ahead if it did turn out to be an enemy. Their maneuvers were nearly executed perfectly as they attacked from both sides.

Daisuke Osaragi got too close to fire as the two pilots banked to get on the B-25's tail. "Watch that tail gunner!" Kenta shouted as they poured lead into the bomber.

"Did you see that sir!" Daisuke spoke, "I don't believe the tail gunner is functioning, I should have riled him up with that pass but no response". " Great observation Osaragi, target the rear, we may just get these Americans. Watch their speed, they appear to be conserving fuel to make it to friendly Chinese territory" the leader responded.

"His engine is out! Keep it up!"

"We got them sir! There goes the entire wing!" "Great work! We'll report the coordinates so our men on the ground can attempt to capture them"

"Si, check your six, fighter gaining fast!"

The two pilots had killed their throttle expecting to have to do more damage to the enemy bomber. In the excitement they had not noticed the P-40 bearing on their position. "Pick up speed and prepare to turn back, I'll distract him" Kusuhara said calmly over the radio. He banked his fighter to shield his fellow pilot but due to the damage he had sustained from the bomber could not swing tight enough to face the Flying Tiger.

Kusuhara's plane caught fire after two quick bursts from the .50 cal's. A brief muffled yell came through over the radio and then Daisuke was met with silence once again. Just him and the enemy in the sky now. He was in a perfect position but in his fury he had trouble aiming at the P-40 and missed.

They twisted and turned their necks as they flew past each other and Daisuke got the upper hand once again. This time his aim was better and he saw debris come off the enemy.

He kept up the fire.

To the Japanese pilot's dismay he saw the P-40 absorb the shots and fly past going top speed as he fled the action, the damage seeming to have no affect on his speed. Daisuke thought of pursuing, but knew the enemy plane had superior speed, he turned and headed for base hoping to one day meet this same pilot and avenge his fallen Comrade.

The feeling was bittersweet, his first combat since the start of the war and he had shared in the destruction of an enemy bomber but at the same time witnessed his friend's plane go down in a ball of flame. He hoped that his flight leader had made it out in time, or managed somehow to land. When he returned to base they sent a search party looking for the downed aircrew and the Japanese pilot's wreckage.

All pilot names are made up, and I apologize for any rank or name inconsistencies as my knowledge of IJNAS or IJAAS is limited. I have recently ordered a book that should help to remedy that in the future.

gully_raker
12-19-2015, 12:53
:thumbsup: Nice little "What if" action there. Well done!

Rebel
12-19-2015, 15:22
:thumbsup: Nice little "What if" action there. Well done!

Here, here!

Warhawk
12-20-2015, 04:41
Thanks guys!

tikkifriend
12-22-2015, 11:01
Nice solo game Wes . The P-40 certainly did for the Zeros .

Gotham Resident
01-19-2016, 09:12
Well done! No rear gun, makes things a lot harder for the laboring B17.