PDA

View Full Version : Fire, smoke and rudder jam simplified

aikavaras
10-08-2010, 09:21
I don't like rules that make you track things as they add up quickly and slow down the game. There are three such special damages in the game: fire, smoke and rudder jam. Here are my versions of them which don't need tracking or special counters. Fire and rudder jam also have some other changes but the main idea is to have special damages which don't need book keeping. I have tested these and they were liked by my players.

Fire. Take an A damage token once per turn until your plane is destroyed or you land on an airfield where the fire is put out. Count special damages from the fire normally. Fire can even spread up if you draw the A token which has fire special damage on it. If you have multiple fire damages going on draw one A token for each.

Smoke. Smoke stays for the rest of the game. Second smoke damage makes the plane catch fire.

Rudder jam. Take all of your unplanned movement cards which have arrow pointing to the same side as the damage chit you just drew. Let somebody randomly draw half of these from your hand and put them aside for the rest of the game (Yes, this damage has to be revealed now but nobody knows which movement cards you lost). Second rudder jam to the same side means you have lost a wing and your plane is destroyed.

CappyTom
10-08-2010, 18:54
Those rules sound easy enough. In the files section some people put to some house rules together.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=434

This is by Traverse City, Michigan - League. I think they did a great job with smoke and fire. Check it out and tell me what you guys think of it.

Tom

rrodrick
10-08-2010, 21:48
I like the smoke rule. Very simple. I think I will add that to our simple games.

MayorJim
11-27-2010, 11:19
We'll give it a try! :)