PDA

View Full Version : Playing the WW1

LOOP
10-19-2015, 05:59
After reading about respawning and tournamentsenarios in various threads this have started to grow in my thoughts.
I guess it has been done before so I'm open to suggestions to make this better.

Well...

My thought were to do a sort of "the whole war"-senario. Or at least from say mid 1916 and onwards.

You pick a month say June-16 and both sides choose from what AC that was available at that time. You start on a fixed altitude, say 4 or 5.
For every 3-card turn you ad a month and when a player is shoot down he/she can respawn, choosing from what AC that is avilable at that time.
That means if an AC is taken out of frontlineservice you must choose a diffent plane. The only penalty is that you must wait until the begining of a new turn.
Players get to respawn say 4 or 5 times.

I have done some testing on my own but it works fairly well. The mix of AC:s will follow the development new aircraft pretty good.

Well there you have it. ;) Thoughts??

P-G

zenlizard
10-19-2015, 06:20
Risking having a very advanced aircraft up against a very early one? While at some times, historically accurate (Bloody April comes instantly to mind), does that really make for a fun, challenging game?

LOOP
10-19-2015, 06:32
In the games I played it will never come to that. The DH2:s will be shoot down by the Alb DIII:s and the Halb DIII by the Spad VII and Triplanes. And so on...

LOOP
10-19-2015, 06:35
It is of course possible.

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-19-2015, 09:05
See our Ace of Aces game at Doncaster 2015.

We started with Albatros DII+III v Sop Tripes+Nieuports+Hanriots
Respawn 1 was Albatros DIII+DVa+Pfalz DIII v Spad VII+Sop Pups+Nieuports
Respawn 2 was Alb DVa+DR1's v Camels+Spad XIII+Se5a
Respawn 3 was Fokker DVII+Dr1's v Snipes+SE5a's

worked well

Boney10
10-19-2015, 09:37

worked well

First line needs to be changed to Sopwith Aresgarbagetripes, no not letting go :(

Flying Helmut
10-19-2015, 10:34
First line needs to be changed to Sopwith Aresgarbagetripes, no not letting go :(

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:salute:

Teaticket
10-19-2015, 10:44

The man is persistent. ;)

Jager
10-19-2015, 11:04

worked well

Much like the Aerodrome Invitational at Origins, eh Neil? It is a fun mass game :)

The man is persistent. ;)

Dedicated, you mean ;)

Karl

LOOP
10-19-2015, 11:29
The biggerst difference is you don't know what you get when you get shot down.

zenlizard
10-19-2015, 11:33
Dedicated, you mean ;)

Remember: another word for dedication is commitment. And if you aren't committed, perhaps we can arrange things so you are.

Lt. S.Kafloc
10-19-2015, 13:44
Where do you think I borrowed the idea from?

Much like the Aerodrome Invitational at Origins, eh Neil? It is a fun mass game :)

Dedicated, you mean ;)

Karl

gully_raker
10-19-2015, 14:17

:thumbsup::clap::clap::clap::cheezy::guns::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::lol::lol::lol:

fast.git
10-19-2015, 14:25

Remember: another word for dedication is commitment. And if you aren't committed, perhaps we can arrange things so you are.

Hey now! :) Nothing wrong with a little dedicated axe grinding... :deadhorse::brickwal::deadhorse::brickwal::deadhorse: ;)

The Tripe, to be fair, is pretty awful. :hmm:

milcoll73
10-19-2015, 22:04

:thumbsup::hatsoff::slysmile::cheezy::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

milcoll73
10-19-2015, 22:05
weve done something like that in our neck of the woods. after playing in a battletech grinder i thought something similar would be interesting for wgf. it was a big hit.

LOOP
10-20-2015, 00:02
I have been thinking about some sort of pointsystem. Perhaps 1p/damagecard and 10p/kill and when you reach say 30p you get an aceskill.
And with the points you can crown the Winner of the evening :clap:

Jager
10-20-2015, 01:35
I have been thinking about some sort of pointsystem. Perhaps 1p/damagecard and 10p/kill and when you reach say 30p you get an aceskill.
And with the points you can crown the Winner of the evening :clap:

I believe in the Invitational, you got 5 points for shooting someone down (on the other side, Tom :hmm: ), and -2 points for being shot down.
Karl

LOOP
10-20-2015, 02:57
I believe in the Invitational, you got 5 points for shooting someone down (on the other side, Tom :hmm: ), and -2 points for being shot down.
Karl

Could you become an Ace at that game? And if so how? :)

Jager
10-20-2015, 04:23
Could you become an Ace at that game? And if so how? :)

Herr Oberst keeps track of your victories year to year; you get a medal for 5 kills, maybe every 5 kills, but you don't get ace abilities.
Karl

LOOP
10-20-2015, 05:25
My ambition is that the players shall have a fair chance to get one or two ace-skill during the game. Maybe the only the kills should be taken to acount....
Heck I need to test this on live players sometime :crash:

Setarius
10-21-2015, 15:01
You pick a month say June-16 and both sides choose from what AC that was available at that time. You start on a fixed altitude, say 4 or 5.
For every 3-card turn you ad a month and when a player is shoot down he/she can respawn, choosing from what AC that is avilable at that time.
That means if an AC is taken out of frontlineservice you must choose a diffent plane. The only penalty is that you must wait until the begining of a new turn.
Players get to respawn say 4 or 5 times.

I have done some testing on my own but it works fairly well. The mix of AC:s will follow the development new aircraft pretty good.

Well there you have it. ;) Thoughts??

P-G

That seems a little fast paced to have a month pass after you play 3 cards. How about a month per battle? That way you can finish a battle in under a year time frame.

LOOP
10-21-2015, 23:24
That seems a little fast paced to have a month pass after you play 3 cards. How about a month per battle? That way you can finish a battle in under a year time frame.

If you can do a campaign that is the way to go. But I wanted to create a (well :slysmile:) short game version. Playable on one occasion.
I have played it solo with 3 against 3 with 4 respawns and it took between 2 and 3 hours. I left the boomcards in. Otherwise it will take too long I think.

Nightbomber
10-22-2015, 07:03
It may sound like blowing my own trumpet, but have you ever seen this project of mine, PG?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1002

You can play such a campaign using easy available solo rules by Richard Bradley.

zenlizard
10-22-2015, 07:28
It may sound like blowing my own trumpet.

Well, if you don't , who is going to?

Good one, Nightbomber, and something I had missed seeing until now.

Nightbomber
10-22-2015, 07:36
Well, if you don't , who is going to?

Good one, Nightbomber, and something I had missed seeing until now.

:)

LOOP
10-22-2015, 07:43
I'll take a look at it. :takecover: ;)

diceslinger
11-02-2015, 15:22
This discussion prompted me try one of these epic respawning games. It was awesome! We worked through every type plane in the WWI line in a seven player game. Here is a link the the AAR:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?23548-We-played-through-every-type-of-WWI-plane-in-the-WOW-line&p=376511#post376511

LOOP
11-03-2015, 01:26
Great to see a version of my senario in action. :thumbsup:
How did the mix of aircrafts turn out? It looks like fairly historically accurate in the pics. :)

Now I'm even more eger to try this out with real players.

Thanks for posting Shawn. :thumbsup::salute:

diceslinger
11-03-2015, 07:27
How did the mix of aircrafts turn out? It looks like fairly historically accurate in the pics. :)

It was an awesome game, no doubt. Everyone had a ton of fun, and we even talked about how getting shot down wasn't a big deal, because you came back with the best plane on the table. I thought the mix was excellent. I think the widest range was a Morane Saulnier being on the table with the Nieuport 17. A bit of a historical stretch, but the game didn't suffer for it. The Roland C.II lasted a while too, but it had a crazy long service time at the front, so it worked as well.

One of the best things is the pace started slow with the early planes and everyone trying to get a hang of the rules. Then it got faster and faster as the planes got better and maneuver cards got longer.

LOOP
11-03-2015, 11:56
One of the best things is the pace started slow with the early planes and everyone trying to get a hang of the rules. Then it got faster and faster as the planes got better and maneuver cards got longer.

I have done the same obsevation. You start with fresh but slow planes but when the action starts and new aircafts enters the older are damaged and easy pray.