PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on air combat engagements 1916

robotwizard
10-05-2010, 14:36
Hello,
I'm still in the process of building up a decent WW1 air power library, as such I'm hoping someone with better sources at hand can help answer a couple of questions for a scenario I want to eventually make planes for and game.

The first air engagement took place on 20 October 1916 near Le Sars, between Lts. Barnard and Rankin flying an FE2b (No.4929) from 18 Sqn RFC, against 4 enemy, according to Barnard's report "white biplanes, very fast, possibly Rolands" (jasta unknown). Rankin was the O/G and claimed a single kill. I'm trying to figure out who they might have been engaged by and who Rankin shot down?

In a second engagement by this air crew on 22 October 1916, Lt. Barnard later reported that Rankin shot down another 2 hostile aircraft. Sadly during this engagement Lt. Rankin was also killed by enemy fire, and Lt. Barnard was forced to make a crash landing behind friendly lines. Barnard survived this engagement. Again, I'm wondering who they were fighting and who might Rankin have shot down?

Any help from the German subject matter experts out there would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to eventually build this scenario for both gaming and as a teaching tool for a related project.

Cheers,
Andrew