PDA

View Full Version : Caudron G.4 Flight Stand now Available!

Oberst Hajj
08-21-2015, 04:47
It's my pleasure to announce the availability of the new Caudron G.4 Flight Stand (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/flight-stands/ww/caudron-g-4-flight-stand.html). A lot of time and effort was invested by Prodromoi (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/member.php?4038-Prodromoi) to bring this base to life.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=173760&d=1440157256

On this base you will notice a couple of extra features that we are trying out. First, each firing arc is numbered and the damage type for that arc is also listed. This is inline with what is being done on the official multi fire arc bases. Next, we have added the "tailing rule" dot to the base. In this case, it is inside the maneuver arrow at the back of the base. Finally, we have added the special rules that apply to this particular base.

I know many of you have a Caudron G.4 via Shapeways and other kits and I hope this new base makes your games with them both more accurate and enjoyable.

Prodromoi
08-21-2015, 05:15
As a sidenote, there have been numerous variants of the armament for this plane (the topic of discussion in several threads on this site as well as elsewhere). The version I chose is simply the one for which I found the most photographic evidence, and the one that I'm going to be choosing for the Shapeways one that I've started to work on, specifically the single forward MG and single rear MG both operated by the observer. Obviously he can't operate both simultaneously; whether it takes a whole non-firing phase to swap between front and rear guns is a matter for house rule preference. Crew moving from one position to another on the bigger bombers takes a whole phase, but here the observer is simply turning around to use the other gun (and presumably locking/unlocking the gun while doing so). That would be a decision for the management card of the plane (I haven't yet decided which option I'll got for yet, though I suspect I'll err on the side of simplicity and generosity and not require the observer to spend a phase moving.)

For the argument for the observer being able to shoot in a 360 degree arc at higher altitude targets (by the ridiculously brave and foolhardy act of standing on the cockpit edge right between the propellers!) then this would be handled just the same as the Caproni Ca.3 rear gun if one chose to adopt this (and wouldn't need any change to this base, just the adoption of the Caproni rule).

Link to the Caudron G.4 in the Smithsonian collection at Udvar-Hazy (http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19190008000) (One of the surviving examples that I used for reference, but there are others of a similar configuration.)

Teaticket
08-21-2015, 05:29
Nice, I'll be getting a few of these. Thanks Alex and Keith for making these available.

grumpybear
08-21-2015, 05:31
Stand looks great

fast.git
08-21-2015, 06:20
Very cool. Thanks for the time and effort, gents. I'll be needing one myself... :)

flash
08-21-2015, 09:20
Well done chaps, that looks great !

Flying Helmut
08-21-2015, 11:41
Nice, I'll be getting a few of these. Thanks Alex and Keith for making these available.

Me too! I think I need three or four now................................

Jager
08-21-2015, 13:13
Very nice. It's not a plane I'm likely to buy (so won't need the stand), but I like the format you both created. Something to look forward to with other planes?
:salute:
Karl

fast.git
08-21-2015, 13:56
Very nice. It's not a plane I'm likely to buy (so won't need the stand), but I like the format you both created. Something to look forward to with other planes?
:salute:
Karl

That's what I'm hoping. It looks pretty sharp.

Seems to me it would work for the FE2, among others...

Prodromoi
08-22-2015, 10:28

I'm quite happy to work up other bases - though they'd need to be fitted around the other building blocks of real life! Feel free to drop me a line.

Oberst Hajj
08-22-2015, 15:43
Glad you guys like it. Alex did a really good job on it.

matt56
08-22-2015, 18:03
Great stuff here! Gives me more of a reason to get a Caudron - not that I needed much of one to begin with, but a tailor-made flight stand will seal the deal.:)

Kudos, Alex - and thanks for adding it to the line, Keith!

All the best,
Matt

Rabbit 3
08-23-2015, 03:31

I think we already went for the smaller stand for that one!
http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/flight-stands/ww/short-bomber-flight-stand-446.html

tikkifriend
08-23-2015, 09:58
Superb effort from Keith and Alex. Top draw.

Flying Helmut
08-23-2015, 11:21
Two ordered!
Now to paint the minis.

Thanks Alex and Keith!

Teaticket
08-23-2015, 14:28
Two ordered!
Now to paint the minis.

Thanks Alex and Keith!

I also have to order two myself. I have two G4s partly done so this will be a kick in the pants to finish them up.

Prodromoi
08-28-2015, 09:18
And here it is in the flesh (well, acrylic). Arrived in the post today - thank you Keith. (Apologies for the poor quality photo - just a quick snap on the phone; it's been a hard day and I'm not getting camera gear out for one photo!)

Flying Helmut
08-29-2015, 01:22
Fantastic!
Looking forward to the arrival of my pair!

fast.git
08-29-2015, 07:53
It's beautiful work.

I don't own a G.4, but this is making me reconsider that omission. Very sharp. Would love to see (in the same style) a Halberstadt CL.II stand that takes into account the extended arc of the observer's MG (similar to that of a Roland C.II), an FE2d with the additional overwing Lewis...

...and the list goes on and on... :)

Prodromoi
09-27-2015, 05:26
And this is what it looks like when painted up:

fast.git
09-27-2015, 08:20
This looks fantastic! I like the additional arc info on the stand, itself... very nice.

johnbiggles
09-28-2015, 07:51
Looks great,
I believe mine are mid atlantic as I type!

Foz
09-28-2015, 09:06
These new designs look great, though it does make me wonder if I should hold off on some of the bomber stands I want for new versions.
So a cheeky request for the Felixstowe F2a & Handley Page 0/400 to be updated ;-)

Thanks Chaps.

Prodromoi
09-28-2015, 09:20
These new designs look great, though it does make me wonder if I should hold off on some of the bomber stands I want for new versions.
So a cheeky request for the Felixstowe F2a & Handley Page 0/400 to be updated ;-)

Thanks Chaps.

I had a brief conflab with Keith about the potential of other flight stands - his thought was that if there was enough interest (I think five or more was the number mentioned) then it could be worth doing. I don't know if this would extend to 'new' versions of stands that already exist, or just new ones. What other ones might people be interested in? I can then put up a poll.

Oberst Hajj
09-28-2015, 10:44
I don't know if this would extend to 'new' versions of stands that already exist, or just new ones.

I'd have no issues with updating older stands. I'd just have to sell all of the old ones I might have in stock before making and offering an updated version. Most of the larger stands and the unofficial ones I don't produce in large numbers, so stock levels are almost always on the lower side anyway.

Foz
09-28-2015, 11:15
Well the Felixstowe is still in it's original bobbly white from Shapeways, so it can wait, and I'll not have the 0/400 until the Kickstarter delivers. I'll wait on these, and concentrate on purchasing the other bases I want. Still waiting on the test order I did, but they look great in pictures. The USPS seems as slow as it is said to be, at least from my side of the pond.