PDA

View Full Version : Question about SE5a

Gallo Rojo
09-28-2010, 07:58
What German planes are good matches for the SE5a (looking for a balanced game)?

I have a couple of Fokker DVII, Dr I and Albatross DVa.

My guess is that (historically speaking) the SE5a were something in between the DVII and the DrI/DVa; I mean, not as good as the former but better than the later.

Am I right? Is it that way in the game?

Thanks in advance

Dom S
09-28-2010, 08:02
Yes you're on the right lines - the D.VII is probably the closest match, albeit a little better than the SE5a overall. The Dr.I is pretty substantially inferior.

IRM
09-28-2010, 09:39
I'd agree that the DVII is the closest match out of the models you have. The Siemens-Schuckerts (DIII/DIV) are a closer match IMO, but there aren't official models out for them yet.

I wouldn't say the Fokker Dr1 is that inferior to the SE5a. I've played against them with triplanes quite a bit (and vice-versa, using Skytrex kits), and most of the time the results have been pretty even. I do agree that you have to work a lot harder to beat the SE5a with a Dr1.

It is far slower, but the "flying tractor" only has a single steep 90 degree turn compared to the triplane's two non-steeps (but the SE5a has a tight turn to each side), and the greater speed of the SE5a is more of a disadvantage against it than a plus unless it uses "boom and zoom" tactics. No way you're going to come off best in a turning fight, all else being even.

Guntruck
09-28-2010, 11:29
I'd go with the Siemens D.III/IV as well as a good match.

Willi Von Klugermann
09-28-2010, 12:43
I concur with the above posts however I do relish matchups that have contrasting styles so I don't mind flying the triplane against the Se5.

Gallo Rojo
09-28-2010, 13:07
thanks about your answers guys.

now, here is what I have in mid:

my club plays a campaign-style type of game we've developed (I'll post the details some day whenever I have time to write it down in English -- we're Spanish speakers).

Thing is I'm lees concerned about one-on-one balance but in the overall balance of the game; I mean, we want that the opposing air forces are overall balanced

The planes we have are:

Central Powers:
2 x Fokker DVII
3 x Fokker Dr I
3 x Albatros DVa
1 x Albatros DIII
1 x Plaft III (just bought it)

Allies:
1 x Snipe
2 x Camel
3 x Spad XIII
1 x Nieuport 17
2 x SE5a (just bought them)

(then we have a couple of two-seater per side)

So that is the big question: are our air-forces balanced? if not, do you think we could make something to balance them? (say, downgrading the Snipe into a 'Camel' by taking out its 90 degrees left turn and wide "S" maneuvers; 'upgrading the Albatros DIII into a DV by giving him a "B" deck?)

If SE5s are as good as the DVII, I guess we should do something to keep both sides even.

ideas? :)

Goering Ace
09-28-2010, 13:54
The planes we have are:

Central Powers:
2 x Fokker DVII
3 x Fokker Dr I
3 x Albatros DVa
1 x Albatros DIII
1 x Plaft III (just bought it)

Allies:
1 x Snipe
2 x Camel
3 x Spad XIII
1 x Nieuport 17
2 x SE5a (just bought them)

(then we have a couple of two-seater per side)

So that is the big question: are our air-forces balanced? if not, do you think we could make something to balance them? (say, downgrading the Snipe into a 'Camel' by taking out its 90 degrees left turn and wide "S" maneuvers; 'upgrading the Albatros DIII into a DV by giving him a "B" deck?)

If SE5s are as good as the DVII, I guess we should do something to keep both sides even.

ideas? :)

OK. Let's break it down. Here's the way I see it -
The Spad XIII's and the D.Va's cancel out.
The D.III and the Nieuport 17 cancel out.
The 2 Camels cancel out 2 of the Dr.I's.
The Snipe and 1 SE5 cancel out the 2 D.VII's

That leaves the remaining Dr.I and the Pfalz D.IIIa to balance out against the remaining SE5. It's a close call to say that is equal since the Pfalz has 16 health and the Dr.I can out maneuver the SE5. I might recommend that you add another Nieuport 17 to the Allied side to equal things out. That way you have 10 planes on each side.

I wouldn't mess with the planes and decks in order to try and balance things. Stick with the way they are and work on matching planes abilities to keep things even.

Scott

Pooh
09-30-2010, 11:19
I agree with Scott. The sides look pretty well matched. Also bear in mind that most of these planes in the right hands can fight any other on even terms. The Nieuport and the Albatros DIII are a bit weaker than the others. If you're will to got the F-toys route, I'd suggest picking up a Spad VII rather than another Nieuport.

Pooh